Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
In having a discussion the other day I realized a friend of mine does not like Horror movies. He thinks they're all stupid and about some girl running downstairs when she should be running out the front door kind.

After further discussion I realized he's only ever seen modern slasher movies. Myself now understanding the problem and being determined to prove that he was merely ignorant of the genre set out to widen his field of vision.

The movie that started the conversation was myself and a different friend discussing Tod Browning's "Freaks". Since he had heard us talking about it, I decided it was good a place as any to start out.

He really liked it and found it genuinely creepy. The DVD has the special feature on the "making of Freaks" which he was then extremely interested in viewing. He found it all fascinating and asked me what else I had.

I then dug out the grandaddy himself, 1931's "Frankenstein" knowing that it was an image he knew from pop culture but also knowing he was oblivious to what the actual film was about. He was shocked at how sad the story of the monster was. He thought it was going to be about a monster that then chased down women like your typical slasher movie. He was very surprised to find out it was nothing of the sort. Again he was impressed and finally admitted that he had indeed judged the entire genre based on a few slasher movies he had seen and was interested to see some more of my favorite picks.

Next weekend I plan to show him Bride Of Frankenstein. I already know he's going to love it!
I'm glad you were able to convert him. When is it time to tell him about Horror.com?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
I'm glad you were able to convert him. When is it time to tell him about Horror.com?
When he buys a computer and an internet connection...lol. Seriously all he has is a phone. But he doesn't have wifi anywhere around him and he has a limited data plan. He doesn't have cable tv either. Just video games and dvd's.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Evil Dead

THE MUMMY'S GHOST (1944). Really cheesy flick with plot holes you could drive a 747 through and one of the most churlish "heroes" I have ever seen-how I love it when Kharis thumps on him! John Carradine carries the film on his thin shoulders and his "Inner Voice" scene is the highlight, especially when he ogles the lovely Ramsay Ames. Not a classic, by any means, but there are worse ways to kill an hour. ***
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Dr. Renault's Secret (1942)

Excellent B-Movie (its 58 mins long) with way more lavish sets that you would expect. J. Carrol Naish excels as the mysterious native servant from Java..Work seeking out..
Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 AM
病気の

The Wolfman, 1941. 9/10

The Invisible Man, 1933. 10/10

Dracula, 1931. 10/10

Old 11-28-2014, 07:44 AM

I know it is well regarded but I always feel the invisible man is forgotten compared to the other universal monsters.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I know it is well regarded but I always feel the invisible man is forgotten compared to the other universal monsters.
Same here
Old 11-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Some of the sequels are a bit rediculous though (but still enjoyable). I am also a bit fan of the Abbot and Costello one.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Horror Fan

I too regard Invisible Man as underrated. He has quite the dark sense of humor. And unlike Dracula is even lovable.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Cranky

It's all in that magnificent voice Claude Rains had. 9/10ths of that role is just his voice.

All the great horror kings had these unmistakable voices- Karloff, Lugosi, Lorre, Rathbone, Price, and yes, Rains.

It's a quality you won't find in horror cinema today.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff