Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
Minus about 3/4 of movies if you take out the above genres... Lol.
My favorite genres are horror, comedy and action.
Or a combination of those.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
People are to hard on reboots. Im all for it. It will give me something fresh to sit my kids down to and get them into the genre. If we keep refreshing things we can keep the genre alive. Horror is broken and hurting right now. The current generation has few examples of good horror and no interest in watching anything pre HD. If we get caught up in living on the classics, horror will cease to exist. So I say, bring on the reboots, remakes, reimaginings, and so on.
Pre HD movies still look good. Even something like Predator which has a terrible HD version made to look modern.

I think Sinister is a very good modern horror. I'm for new, well made horror movies. Triangle is another good one. The more people just make reboots no one will be willing to risk any money selling something new and unknown.

Quote:
As for Supernatural, we are three seasons in and really like it.
That's when it's good. Make no mistake. Stop watching after I think season 5. Whichever season the original creator left. That's when it goes down quickly.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 AM
No Tears Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Pre HD movies still look good. Even something like Predator which has a terrible HD version made to look modern.

I think Sinister is a very good modern horror. I'm for new, well made horror movies. Triangle is another good one. The more people just make reboots no one will be willing to risk any money selling something new and unknown.

That's when it's good. Make no mistake. Stop watching after I think season 5. Whichever season the original creator left. That's when it goes down quickly.

Its so easy to run a series to long. Its unfortunate that it drops off. As for my opinion on remakes and reboots, yes the HD remaster of most movies look like shit, that's why they need to be remade. Unless a movie is shot in beautiful High Definition it will look terrible when they try to fake it. I just picked up a bad ass 4k TV about a week ago. Its beautiful and the picture is amazing... That said, anything standard definition is almost unwatchable. I have two kids, if I set them down in front of my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (one of my favorite movies of all time) they barely sit through half of it. When you ask them why, they say it just doesn't look very good. Then sit them in front of the new one (even though it isn't nearly as good a movie) they are glued to it. So yes, with the current generation of fans, definition and quality matter. If you cant catch the attention of this generation the genre will burn out as these kids grow and become the next generation of screenplay writers and directors.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Evil Sweat

On topic:
I would love see the return of The Smoking Man. Or at least a good replacement for a similar character.

Quote:
Its so easy to run a series to long. Its unfortunate that it drops off. As for my opinion on remakes and reboots, yes the HD remaster of most movies look like shit, that's why they need to be remade. Unless a movie is shot in beautiful High Definition it will look terrible when they try to fake it. I just picked up a bad ass 4k TV about a week ago. Its beautiful and the picture is amazing... That said, anything standard definition is almost unwatchable. I have two kids, if I set them down in front of my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (one of my favorite movies of all time) they barely sit through half of it. When you ask them why, they say it just doesn't look very good. Then sit them in front of the new one (even though it isn't nearly as good a movie) they are glued to it. So yes, with the current generation of fans, definition and quality matter. If you cant catch the attention of this generation the genre will burn out as these kids grow and become the next generation of screenplay writers and directors.
I think if you adjust the framerate or something on your tv the image looks fine.

Kids can also grow up and start seeing the crap through the high quality graphics and effects.
Just because they don't like things that are outdated to them now doesn't mean they'll hate it as adults.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
No Tears Please...

How likely are you to watch Casablanca and really love it? Mind you that is one of hundreds of examples, you may love Casablanca. My point is most people, and by most I mean the billions of people who aren't awesome enough to be on this forum. You have to understand that the majority of the population craves easy entertainment and will not go out of their way to find it like we used to. The majority of the population will only eat what they are fed. So we need to feed them the right stuff.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
How likely are you to watch Casablanca and really love it? Mind you that is one of hundreds of examples, you may love Casablanca. My point is most people, and by most I mean the billions of people who aren't awesome enough to be on this forum. You have to understand that the majority of the population craves easy entertainment and will not go out of their way to find it like we used to. The majority of the population will only eat what they are fed. So we need to feed them the right stuff.
I'm not sure if I follow you.
Do you want quality easy entertainment the majority picks up on?
So some of them might grow up to make the same?

I think if you try to please the majority there's a big chance of ending up with a steaming pile of crap. Because the majority is usually dumb.
Just look at the hit parades and the movie box office.
I think it still depends on the person. Some will go out of their way to look up other things. They'll recommend it to their friends or talk about it online and soon it starts living it's own life.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Well Standard Definition wasn't made for HD TVs. A movie like Alien looks just fine in HD. I think it's all in what you show kids at a young age and if they really like movies. Not just like movies as entertainment. For example with cars, there are people who claim to like cars but won't like an old car because it's not as fast and doesn't have an LCD screen or other modern technologies. That person doesn't really like cars. Same goes for movies.

I haven't seen the new TMNT movie yet. I can't remember the original one that much. But if you take the original Nightmare on Elm Street vs the remake. Yes the remake looks slick and modern with "better" effects. But people who like movies know that the original is better. You have to like movies to be able to appreciate that.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 PM
No Tears Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Well Standard Definition wasn't made for HD TVs. A movie like Alien looks just fine in HD. I think it's all in what you show kids at a young age and if they really like movies. Not just like movies as entertainment. For example with cars, there are people who claim to like cars but won't like an old car because it's not as fast and doesn't have an LCD screen or other modern technologies. That person doesn't really like cars. Same goes for movies.

I haven't seen the new TMNT movie yet. I can't remember the original one that much. But if you take the original Nightmare on Elm Street vs the remake. Yes the remake looks slick and modern with "better" effects. But people who like movies know that the original is better. You have to like movies to be able to appreciate that.
Agree, people who love movies will absolutely like the original more, but thats not going to be enough to keep the genre alive and well. I promise you that there was a very large chunk of people who never would have seen the original had the new one not been made. My point is that if a teenager sees the new one and goes "Damn, that was pretty good." they will be more likely to go out of their way to see the original. Thus keeping the original fresh. I would be willing to bet that the original saw a surge in sales after the new one came out. Therefor the new one absolutely needed to be made in order for a large chunk of kids who may have never seen the original to make the decision the look into Freddy. Remakes help to revitalize a movie that may fly under the radar to a group of kids who just arent old enough to have been exposed to the original directly.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Evil Dead

The X-Files has always been my favorite TV show by far. I got into it when I was eight years old and I had the biggest crush on Fox Mulder, haha!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Agree, people who love movies will absolutely like the original more, but thats not going to be enough to keep the genre alive and well. I promise you that there was a very large chunk of people who never would have seen the original had the new one not been made. My point is that if a teenager sees the new one and goes "Damn, that was pretty good." they will be more likely to go out of their way to see the original. Thus keeping the original fresh. I would be willing to bet that the original saw a surge in sales after the new one came out. Therefor the new one absolutely needed to be made in order for a large chunk of kids who may have never seen the original to make the decision the look into Freddy. Remakes help to revitalize a movie that may fly under the radar to a group of kids who just arent old enough to have been exposed to the original directly.
Maybe. I'm not sure. I think when remakes have the same title as the original it can be confusing. Remakes like Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, The Thing, etc. There was a post at Ain't it Cool News about that a while back.