Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally posted by noctuary
If you do like Ghost Story, I'd suggest reading If You Could See Me Now and Julia next. Unfortunately, Straub's work has seen a decline in recent years, and I don't think anything he's written lately has been up to the standard of his earlier work.
That is unfortunate. One of the exciting things about Ghost Story for me has been knowing that he's got a decent-sized body of work. In the past year, it's the only modern horror novel I've read that's really grabbed me (before this, I read F. Paul Wilson's Midnight Mass, which had an interesting premise, but sort of fell apart in the execution, in my opinion). I'll check out your suggestions.

As for King, should I bother with Carrie, then? I really liked the movie, but that might be due to De Palma more than King.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
That is unfortunate. One of the exciting things about Ghost Story for me has been knowing that he's got a decent-sized body of work. In the past year, it's the only modern horror novel I've read that's really grabbed me (before this, I read F. Paul Wilson's Midnight Mass, which had an interesting premise, but sort of fell apart in the execution, in my opinion). I'll check out your suggestions.

As for King, should I bother with Carrie, then? I really liked the movie, but that might be due to De Palma more than King.
probably the only 2 king books worth reading are carrie and salems lot (particularily salems lot)

once you read those two - you've read everything he's written.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Scares Little Kids

Ah, okay. Thanks for the advice. Those are the two that seem to appeal to me the most.

I guess there was a subconscious reason for that. ;)

I have a friend who swears by the Dark Tower series, but when I read the dust jackets, my spider-sense tingles. :p
Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Your funeral... my trial

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
I have a friend who swears by the Dark Tower series, but when I read the dust jackets, my spider-sense tingles. :p
Same here... I know a lot of people that love the books and have recommended them to me, but something about the series just kinda turns me off. I'm not really sure why. I guess fantasy by Stephen King is just not a very appealing idea to me.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Hellraiser

Send a message via Yahoo to scaredsilly
Insomnia was a confusing book to me. i had to read it twice to understand atleast some of it.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Living Dead

Actually the dark tower is just like his horror novels but they are in a series and have fantasy aspects to it.

It would have to be my favorite King novel.

As far as king of horror goes he is not it. I have no idea why people keep bringing up clive barker though, most of his stuff is fantasy with a little horror in it. only a few of his books are horror.
As king of horror I would have to give the nod to h.p. lovecraft or richard matheson. I am legend is still the best book ever in my opinion.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

clive barkers books of blood (his best works) are pure horror
Old 06-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
probably the only 2 king books worth reading are carrie and salems lot (particularily salems lot)

once you read those two - you've read everything he's written.
no love for the Dark Half? I thought that was pure gold.

and yep Books Of Blood are amazing.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
no love for the Dark Half? I thought that was pure gold.

and yep Books Of Blood are amazing.
I thought The Dark Half was good too. Not very many people seem to like it though. As for Clive Barker, I like to pretend that everything after Books of Blood and The Hellbound Heart never happened.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Living Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
clive barkers books of blood (his best works) are pure horror
I need to read those. I started reading one of his fantasy works and it was total crap, didnt get past page 20.