Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Another 'Violent Video Game' Targetted For Banning, Called 'MUCH Worse Than GTA'

Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
I don't really have a problem with the games as long as adults play them.

not all adults have the emotional or intellectual capacity to handle this shit any more than a lot of children.

i never thought shooting monsters desensitized kids ... but i sure as fuck think killing other people on a game does - especially one with this mentality.

of course there are well adjusted people who see it as extremely 'black humor' and laugh at the absurdity of it - but we have a different breed of people on the streets now.
people that think showing compassion - any compassion at all for anyone makes you a bitch ..
where street cred is more valuable than any other aspect of your character..

i think its an ugly reflection and reinforcement of where society sits today ..
Old 06-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Fear scented candle

But it is simply a reflection of society, not an influence. If they want to ban something because it has an actual proven track record of causing violence and death, ban Religion.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok
But it is simply a reflection of society, not an influence. If they want to ban something because it has an actual proven track record of causing violence and death, ban Religion.
its still a form of acceptance .. even encouragement ..

hard to deny that ..

why reflect something negative unless you're making a point to change it for the better - not glorify it
Old 06-22-2005, 04:48 AM
Fear scented candle

I never thought of it as glorification. It certainly comes off that way, but i think that is giving the developers too much credit. It's simply "this shit sells, so make it"

It's the same reason the market is filled with lame quake and half-life knock-offs. Why create something innovative when you can make a bundle off of bullshit?

The video game industry isnt any different than the movie industry. If there was a market for movies about getting girls drunk and raping them, you bet your ass there would be at least 2 titles a year about that. (a profitable market, that is)
Old 06-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok
The video game industry isnt any different than the movie industry. If there was a market for movies about getting girls drunk and raping them, you bet your ass there would be at least 2 titles a year about that. (a profitable market, that is)
i'm sure there IS a market for it - thats the sad thing ..

fortunately the law is defined enough (so far) to prevent it ..

like i said - i dont blame the people making it ... i'm taking a hard look at why there is a demand for it ... - this particular kind of garbage ...

armchair badasses for the most part.

i still think it is EXTREMELY desensitizing for kids ... you see this attitude in kids all the time .. the stupid ones that confuse fantasy with rality and have no concept for what the consequences of their actions are ..