Old 07-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Can you dig it ?

No quicker way to find out who your friends are than this test. Some twins I know ruined my first movie by deciding they didn't "feel like" finishing it. One only had to get shot up in slow motion for her final scene, which was useless since other one wouldn't even bother to answer phone on the one day I needed her most (I had an ex in from out of town who'd film all scenes of hers with me in a day). Needless to say I've never forgiven these hyenas for this and refuse to speak to either of them. They've left me with about 90% or so of the film to reshoot since they both need to be replaced in what is unuasble footage now. If you think I go nuts on a noob for spamming his film online, just bring this up to me in real life to see me really lose it :D
Advice: Big boobs (even on twins) does not equal talent or dependability.
CK
Old 07-21-2005, 11:22 PM
zipperface

Send a message via AIM to HappyCamper Send a message via Yahoo to HappyCamper
Good tip from Mr. S!: Have your shots planned out!!

I just finished working on a film, where the director didn't have his shots planned out before filming, and it was a complete nightmare!

For each scene you should have at least the following shots:

Master Shot: a shot that establishes the actors, and their environment for the scene.

Medium shot: a tighter shot of the actors in the same position as the master shot.

# shot (replace # with number of actors in scene): this is basically a close up of the # of actors interacting with each other, the most common is a two shot.

Close Ups: you will need one of these for every actor in the scene, and they need to say everyone of their lines, even if you plan on cutting away from them during their dialogue.

these are just the basic shots, you MUST get on film!

there are others that are good to use such as:

Over the shoulder shots
Point of view shots
Aerial shots (above or below the camera)
Dolly shots

A good rule of thumb is get as much 'coverage' as you possibly can, it's always better to have more action on film, than you think you are going to use, it makes editing easier, and it's ALWAYS easier to cut footage away in editing than it is to have to ADD footage.

hope that was helpful, if I just confused you more, i'm sorry.
Just listen to this sentence and tell me what it means. I haven't seen Evil Dead II yet? Would you get the impression that i wanted to see it? Oh, well you couldn't have been dying to see it or else you would have already gone. So in your opinion would I definitely see it?
How the fuck should I know probably!
Why? Because it's a brilliant film, it's so funny, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:24 PM
zipperface

I thought at first I'd mention the 180 rule, but I'm afraid I'd just really confuse the hell out of you...
Just listen to this sentence and tell me what it means. I haven't seen Evil Dead II yet? Would you get the impression that i wanted to see it? Oh, well you couldn't have been dying to see it or else you would have already gone. So in your opinion would I definitely see it?
Why? Because it's a brilliant film, it's so funny, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:29 PM
zipperface

I thought at first I'd mention the 180 rule, but I'm afraid I'd just really confuse the hell out of you...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Can you dig it ?

Quote:
A good rule of thumb is get as much 'coverage' as you possibly can, it's always better to have more action on film, than you think you are going to use, it makes editing easier, and it's ALWAYS easier to cut footage away in editing than it is to have to ADD footage.
Amen to that. I never feel like I have enough footage when editing other people's films. I wonder how they think I'll suddenly come up with shots they never filmed or sent to me. I'm storyboarding my future short shoot to death at the moment.
CK
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Can you dig it ?

Quote:
Amen to that. I never feel like I have enough footage when editing other people's films. I wonder how they think I'll suddenly come up with shots they never filmed or sent to me. I'm storyboarding my future short shoot to death at the moment. If I'm missing something later in editing, I'll have no one to blame but myself.
CK
Old 07-22-2005, 10:57 AM
zipperface

Mr. S. how would you explain the 180 rule? It's definitely an important concept to understand, even though it's difficult to grasp, i still get confused by it sometimes.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Can you dig it ?

hmmmm Take a piece of paper. Write an 'A' and a 'B' anywhere on it. Draw a straight line connecting the two. If 'A' and 'B' were your actors, you'd be filming them from one side or the other of that line. Never cross that line after you start filming that scene for any reason or horrible things will happen to you and the actors :D Good enough ? LOL
CK
Old 07-22-2005, 07:00 PM
zipperface

sounds good to me, i believe the only exception to the 180 rule is a dolly move, but i could be wrong
Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Can you dig it ?

The only exception to the dolly rule is inflamed genitals that lead to a horribly painful death.
ok. I made hat part up. The 180 rule was made since an audience apparently follows a conversation between two people if they continue to be seated on their original sides of a scene. I didn't come up with this myself and personally don't care for it (although I still abide by it). Make a great movie and no arthouse dipshit will bother with the 180 rule, Return.
CK