Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by grimbrotherjake
Lloyd Kaufman hands down. The only director with character... I mean the guy is an icon. And he does so much for the independent filmmaking community as well, as he appears in numerous indie horror flicks in cameos or whatnot. I bought the special edition "Nikos The Impaler" DVD for Lloyds appearance alone and found a fantastic director in Andreas Schnaas, whose work I've been collecting as well now. I one day hope to have lloyd in one of my projects.

And to make note on Blood Feast 2, I saw a screening of it last March and it was very entertaining. I heard theres plans on releasing a DVD soon so keep your eyes open... its worth a watch and if sales are high it might persuade ol' H.G. to make more like it...
i am a big troma fan... I have so many of Llyods movies it is not even funny... I love igor and the lunatics...

and I cant believe someone else besides me on this forum knows who Andreas is....

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
Originally posted by Ritualistic
i am a big troma fan... I have so many of Llyods movies it is not even funny... I love igor and the lunatics...

and I cant believe someone else besides me on this forum knows who Andreas is....
You should always believe there is at least one other person that knows obscure horror peeps.:D
Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by avenger00soul
You should always believe there is at least one other person that knows obscure horror peeps.:D
gore uppers on that one...

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Undead

For me #1 is Carpenter. The absolute best.

Then it's Wes Craven and Tobe Hooper.

They are some of my Heros.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:51 PM
Evil Dead

If we're talking influential, then it would have to be Romero. The modern horror film was born in '68, no ifs ands or buts about it. Herscial Gordon Lewis might have invented the gore movie five years earlier, but it doesn't matter because only a handful of people saw Blood Feast in its initial run. So, the question would be: who influenced Romero...

Night was based on the Richard Matheson novel "I Am Legend" which Romero couldn't afford the rights to. The book had been filmed 4 yrs earlier by Sidney Salkow under the the title Last Man On Earth, but Romero says he had never seen it. Not only do I believe him, I envy him. Last Man was crap, and I love Vincent Price as much as the next guy.

Romero not only says Hitchcock is his favorite director but he had already worked with Hitch as an assistant when he made Night. Plus, visually, Psycho is obviously a big influence. So...who influenced Psycho?

Simple. That would be Clouzot's Diabolique. The critics at the time said hitch had lost the edge and Clouzot was the suspense master to watch. In response, Hitch decided to do a small, shocking, unconventional black-and-white shocker.

So, who influenced Clouzot? And now we're back in German expressionalism. So, let's keep it simple and say George A Romero is heap big dog of the horror movie.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Scares Little Kids

Hitchcock made only 2 movies!!!!!Say what?? Are you forgetting about The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, North by Northwest, and Vertigo to name a few. Psycho is the first real horror movie that sparked a national obsession with the creepy and bloody. He is by far the most influential director in the history of horror. Hitchcock is the Father of Horror.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
Originally posted by cjbguy87
Hitchcock made only 2 movies!!!!!Say what??
He only made 2 HORROR movies. Psycho and The Birds. The rest are suspense.

Hitch is the father of suspense.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:54 PM
Scares Little Kids

Good point Avenger. I sometimes blur the line between suspense and horror, but I still think Psycho is the most influential horror movie ever so that would make Hitchcock the most influential director.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by cjbguy87
Good point Avenger. I sometimes blur the line between suspense and horror, but I still think Psycho is the most influential horror movie ever so that would make Hitchcock the most influential director.
Oh, no doubt is Psycho one of the greatest horror films ever made. I like the point that Dr. K makes though. You can keep tracing it back....
Old 12-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to Leslie Daher
wes craven has only made one film that i consider to be genius and that's nightmare. i absolutely was not a fan of last house on the left though i can give it it's props...it helped to create a genre but IMO wes craven has a tendency to keep re-making the same film over and over and over again. he seems to be idea bankrupt.

to name the most influential director of all time is tough b/c as directors go everyone has their hits and misses. i personally love john carpenter. i get his style and agree w/ a lot of his points of view. overall, i tend to like his pictures more than the others out there. he seems to have more hits than misses for me.