Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM
mostly ghostly?

I like Session 9. It's got a great vibe to it, and it's pretty creepy.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
Can't agree with you about Session 9. I thought it was brilliant!
I thought it was boring, slow, and not scary at all. I still don't understand what people thought was so great about it.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I thought it was boring, slow, and not scary at all. I still don't understand what people thought was so great about it.
agreed - I totally never understood what people saw in it
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Evil is Better

Overrated: Oldboy

Underrated: Julia's Eyes

I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this one

Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM
ventricle

(Villain, I didn't see Oldboy or Julie's Eyes. And my below post is not directed at you.)

Thinking about it, overrated and underrated are unusual concepts. I went to the first post to see what this thread was about, or asking for. OP (original post) asks reader to post which movie they think is the the most overrated, or underrated, of all time, and why they think so.

The second post is from Angra saying "That subject is taboo here", with a link to another thread where Urgeok is explaining his definition of 'underrated'. It's pretty interesting (I'm going to edit it down a little):

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok View Post
my definition is "a lot of people liked it but you didnt - and for some reason you feel that you alone set the bar for the rest of the planet"

i dont think there is such a thing as 'overrated'. if tons of people like it - then its rated appropriately as to how they saw it....despite how you personally feel about it. if you think its shit - then you think its shit. doesnt mean everyone else is wrong. how can someone be wrong about liking or not liking a movie ?? I guess i used to that phrase in the past as well, but given a bit of reflection .. it just doesnt make sense. I guess its never too late to gather a bit more wisdom.
Thinking about it, it is rather "bold" to say something is overrated. I mostly agree with Urgeok, in that calling a movie underrated is basically taking a movie that most people think is very good, and declaring it is not very good. With art appreciation essentially being subjective, it's an odd thing to say most people are wrong about the appreciation they have for a movie.

Having said that, I've certainly declared many a movie underrated and overrated. On a related note, some people get pissy when when you knock something they like, even if your not talking directly to them. I can directly relate how someone would feel that way, because I've felt that way myself... although I think one would have to say to themselves, "That assessment of the film produced negative feelings in me; but I realize this is art appreciation, a largely subjective exercise, and it's a fact that people are different, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Though I'm experiencing angry feelings, perhaps I should exercise self-control and not typed how wrong someone else is about this film".

Personally I get something out of discussing films, even reading those who express not appreciating a film I appreciate, no matter how "wrong" they seem. I guess you just have to try to ignore the pissiness if you're going jump in the pool?