Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
The Hunchback of Norte Dam

This is one of my fave movies The Hunchback of Norte Dam 1923 with Lon Chaney. Another Hunchback of norte Dam movie was made again in 1939 staring Laughton as the Hunchback Quasimodo. The very first movie about Victor Hugos book in 1831 The Hunchback of norte Dam was made back in 1906 called Esmeralda and directed by Alice Guy. The Hunchback in 1909 and the Hunchback in 1910 and The Love of a Hunchback 1910 and Norte Dam de Paris 1911 was filmed in 3 parts Quasimodo was played by Henri Krauss Stacia Napierkowaka was Esmeralda. On a side note Lon Chaney Jr tried out for the Hunchback of Norte Dam in 1939 but did not get the part.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
I Am Male.

Its "The Hunchback of Notre DamE"

I love this film this would be on my top 8 fav silent horror films. When you think Lon Chaney this performance is the first that comes into your head. That makeup is so distinguised when looked at. The cheek bones, and eyes are the most memorable.

Favorite Band: Black Sabbath
Second Fav Band: Pink Floyd
Favorite Non Horror Movie: Papillon
5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Evil Dead

I agree 100% Chaneys acting as Quasimodo was not notch in the 1923 classic. Like Frankenstien 1931 and Dracula 1931 This Hunchback of Norte Dam'e movie in 1923 is often mistaken as being the original when its a remake. I think thats a complement to the film and film maker.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I Am Male.

Its NotRe Dame. The "r" after the "t". lol.

I prefer Chaney's Phantom performance, but this is one of the greatest horror films of all time.

5 Fav Horror Authors: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, and Mary Shelley.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Evil Dead

LOL oops bad spelling
Old 01-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I Am Male.

This is also one of the most entertaining silent films.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Evil Dead

Lon Chaney Sr's Hunchback is, without the best (as is his Phantom of the Opera). Lon chaney suffered alot of pain in his movies due to the special effects. He wore a leather harness that forced him to remain hunched over - he couldn't stand up if he had to. The rubber suit (along with the harness) that he wore in "Hunchback" weighed 70 lbs. The teeth that he used were so painful to wear, he could only keep them in for short periods of time.

On a side note: He used wire hoops under his eye lids to make his eyes bulge out for "Phantom".

Can you imagine todays actors going through that sort of pain just for the makeup and effects?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Evil Dead

Hi tat I was thinking of pointing out the pain Chaney must have endured while making this movie. But I opted not to also Chaney I think used a hard boiled egg for an eye when he played Quasimodo. Other actors who endured pain and long hours in the make up chair were Boris Karloff when he was the Frankenstien monster. Harou Nakajima said he sweated buckets when he was in the Godzilla suit. They could only film Nakajima 5 minutes at a time the suit was so hot inside and it weighed close to 200 lbs. The thing about Chaney was that he was a perfectionest and he always deliverd.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:32 AM
The Dork Knight

Re: The Hunchback of Norte Dam

Quote:
Originally posted by Gojira
This is one of my fave movies The Hunchback of Norte Dam 1923 with Lon Chaney. Another Hunchback of norte Dam movie was made again in 1939 staring Laughton as the Hunchback Quasimodo. The very first movie about Victor Hugos book in 1831 The Hunchback of norte Dam was made back in 1906 called Esmeralda and directed by Alice Guy. The Hunchback in 1909 and the Hunchback in 1910 and The Love of a Hunchback 1910 and Norte Dam de Paris 1911 was filmed in 3 parts Quasimodo was played by Henri Krauss Stacia Napierkowaka was Esmeralda. On a side note Lon Chaney Jr tried out for the Hunchback of Norte Dam in 1939 but did not get the part.
you don't get out much do you? LOL:D
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Tat2
Lon Chaney Sr's Hunchback is, without the best (as is his Phantom of the Opera). Lon chaney suffered alot of pain in his movies due to the special effects. He wore a leather harness that forced him to remain hunched over - he couldn't stand up if he had to. The rubber suit (along with the harness) that he wore in "Hunchback" weighed 70 lbs. The teeth that he used were so painful to wear, he could only keep them in for short periods of time.

On a side note: He used wire hoops under his eye lids to make his eyes bulge out for "Phantom".

Can you imagine todays actors going through that sort of pain just for the makeup and effects?
You can't really say if they would or wouldn't but one thing some of them do go through is martial arts/boxing training,(sometimes unhealthy)weight gain/lose.

I think it depends on the actor's passion, speaking of passion Jim Caveizel went through alot during the production of The Passion of the Christ.