Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2007, 03:28 AM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
Thumbs up The Night Of The Demon

Good morning! He he he he!

One of my all time favorite horror flicks is that of Night Of The Demon. It was a British movie made in 1957 produced by Columbia Studios.

In the United States it was issued in an 83 minute firm and was known as Curse Of The Demon. However, the English version was 95 minutes and was known as Night Of The demon.

The movie was directed by veteran director Jacques Tourneur was also directed the atmospheric I Walked With A Zombie, Out of The Past and The Twilight Zone episide, Night Caller where an elderly woman is getting calls from her dead husband .

The film stars Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins and Niall MacGuiness.

A skeptical American scientist named John Holden (Andrews) arrives in England to take part in a conference on the supernatural and to invesitgate the activities of devil-cult leader Julian Karswell (MacGuiness). He is contacted by the neice of his late friend Professor Harrington (Cummins) who believes that he was killed by some type of animal and possibly Karswell.

Karswell warns him off and their is evidence that Karswell may control more than natural powers. Karswell places a curse on Holden by means of using runic inscriptions on a piece of parchment.

Skeptical till almost the end, Holden realizes Karswell's power and that he too can be killed by a demon unless he turns the curse back to Karswell.

This was a thouroughly chilling film. It was very atmospheric in the horror genre. Called by Leonard Maltin "an exceptional shocker".

I first saw this movie when I was just about entering my teenage years and believe me at that time it really scared me. Even to this day it still gives me a chill and a lot of suspense.

There are many very chilling scenes, like when Holden returns to his car from Karswell's estate through the eerie woods while the demon is stalking him but holds up at the last minute.

There is also the scene whereby Holden illegally enters Karswell's house and all of a sudden a cat appears and screeches! It comes all of a sudden and definitely shocks the life out of you.

And then at the end of the film when the demon arrives like in little sparks of light, the suspense builds until you actually see the frightening demon in all it's fury performing it's dastardly deed which is the killing of Karswell.

In the movie it is passed off that Karswell was hit by a train. But Professor Holden knows the truth and now believes.

The movie goes along at a fast and chilling pace. The entire movie is enveloped in supernatural overtones like the sceance which Holden is brought to, the hypnosis of the man who was instatutionalized for supposingly taking part in one of these rituals and the wind storm called up by Karswell at a children's party in the yard of his vast estate.

Leonard Maltin rates this one 3 and a half stars out of 4. I rate it 4 because to me it's is a SUPER horror movie that is both chilling and shocking. It has left a chilling impression on me even since I first saw it.

It is available on DVD and both versions are on the disc. I prefer the 95 minute version. I don't want to miss any chills or shocks!

Well I am going now over to my favorite creakly rocking chair. Ah, let me fix my dress as I sit down in a comfortable position along with a nice glass of claret. There is a storm out tonight with thunder and lightning and rain hitting at my windows. A perfect night to watch Night Of The Demon.

Your hostess in the supernatural

Marya Zaleska

The Countess

Last edited by Marya Zaleska; 06-09-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Synthetic Flesh

This certainly is a great movie. Haven't seen it in a long while - the DVD you mention is a US release?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

certainly a classic film, a must see.

and if it's good enough for rocky horror :cool:

Quote:
Dana Andrews said prunes
Gave him the runes
And passing them used lots of skills
Old 06-09-2007, 05:58 AM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
The Night Of The Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManchestrMorgue View Post
This certainly is a great movie. Haven't seen it in a long while - the DVD you mention is a US release?
Yes the DVD is an American release. It is currently available.

The Countess
Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Evil Dead

I love this movie
Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomstranger View Post
I love this movie
Yep me too,always creeped me out as a kid.I remember reading that The Demon was not meant to appear in the movie but the studio execs forced the Director into doing it,strange since the physical form of the Demon is one of the few unconvincing aspects of the film :rolleyes:
Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Evil Dead

Night of the Demon scared the crap out of me when i was younger,the ending was great and after watching it again last year for the first time in over 25 years its still a top notch film.:)
Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon is a GREAT film, a real classic. Dead serious supernatural suspense, with a fine air of believability about it.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP McCoy View Post
Yep me too,always creeped me out as a kid.I remember reading that The Demon was not meant to appear in the movie but the studio execs forced the Director into doing it,strange since the physical form of the Demon is one of the few unconvincing aspects of the film :rolleyes:
And was usually the shot they used to promote the film. I haven't seen it either, in a very long time, back on a VHS version.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I really need to pick this one up on DVD...fantastic movie.