Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Evil Dead

Brian DePalma or Dario Argento????

Whom does everyone like best? DePalma would not like this thread, because I once read an interview in which he called Argento a talentless hack and was angered by any comparison of the two; so, let's hope Brian is watching TV instead of surfing the net.

I would probably have to go with DePalma, simply because his camera theatrics are a little better planned and seem to have a bigger pay off. Plus, DePalma actually has people acting instead of just reading dialogue in a monotone (or sometimes overacting, which is even more annoying).

Still, I ain't sayin' nothin' bad about my boy Dario. He's still The Maesteo!
Old 01-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Evil Dead

I think that Argento is a better director... DePalma is good but has always been too derivative, specifically referencing other directors so much that... well, it just irritates me.
Sisters (great film) = Rope
Blow Out = Blow Up
Body Double = Rear Window
Untouchables = Potemkin

Plus he made Mission Impossible and a bunch of Bruce Springsteen videos. You can't live stuff like that down.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Carlito's Way is better than all of Argento's combined films.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

Scarface. Enough said. Yeah, it's a remake, it's still better.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:36 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
...I once read an interview in which he called Argento a talentless hack and was angered by any comparison of the two; so, let's hope Brian is watching TV instead of surfing the net.
That quote has made me lose a lot of respect for De Palma I hate celebrities bitching and fighting with each other its lame. Both are great directors and I love both of their movies but I would have to say Argento although both have dissapointed me equally at times with some truely terrible movies. I like Argento for the shear savagery of some of his work and his unerving soundtracks that companion them. I remember seeing Suspiria for the first time on the big screen that opening murder gave me a geniune shock and left me uneasy. The nightmarish dreamlike tone of alot of his films also draws me to his work but some people find this confusing but I find the disorientation adds to the suspense you really get to experience the characters confusion and fear. But thats just me :) Speaking of DePalma do you guys like Raising Cain? I think John Lithgow is great as a villian in it and it was a really well written quirky movie. What happened to Lithgow anyway he had some great roles as a villian then went and did that mindless bullshit sitcom 3rd Rock From the Sun and dull Hollywood vehicles?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Dead as a Dodo

DePalma every time. Dario has great camera work and I LOVE his set pieces I'm just not keen on his movies as a whole, they are great once and it may sound shallow but the dubbing annoys me, I prefer subtitles. His characters tend to be very flat too.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Misanthrope

I find DePalma's camerawork tacky alot of the time all the split screen stuff is just cheesey alot of the time he just seems to do off beat camera work for the sake it but that said when he's on fire he's amazing (Carrie, Dressed To Kill, Body Double.....)
Old 02-07-2004, 04:46 AM
BMXICAN

Depalma

Jesus had a tough life. I read about that guy. Jesus is the only guy that ever came back from the dead that didn't scare the F--- out of everybody!
-Sam Kinison
Old 02-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Banned

Dario Argento

Quote:
Originally posted by mictlan
I think that Argento is a better director... DePalma is good but has always been too derivative, specifically referencing other directors so much that... well, it just irritates me.
I agree.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Evil Dead

I'm going with Argento. His plotworking is loose and usually full of holes, the acting is usually quite stiff... but then you have the elaborately set-up gory death scenes, great music, funky lighting, ect... Most of his movies end up falling into the beautiful but cheesy catagory - which I personally like. Don't get me wrong, I love "high quality" movies, but there are certain "style over substance" directors that hit me just right. Argento is one of them. Takashi Miike also springs to mind (although Audition was a good movie all around).