Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-10-2010, 06:02 AM
For Vendetta

Robert Wise

One of the most underrated directors of all time, IMO. He made only about 40-odd films, but most of them were truly fantastic. A lot of my favorites of the golden years have come from the direction of this guy.

Although he won Oscars for The Sound of Music and West Side Story, and was nominated for his superb editing of Citizen Kane, his works in the horror genre are no less than legendary. A no-nonsense filmmaker, his films were mostly story-driven, hence they were such huge entertainers. No wonder he was the first choice to direct the first ever motion picture of Star Trek, after it enjoyed such a huge popular run on TV through the 70s.

I recently revisited one of my all-time faves, The Andromeda Strain, and it made me very nostalgic about Wise. Even though today most newbies in the genre have very little idea about who he is, Robert Wise is a legend. A real milestone in our genre, if there ever was one.

Let's take a minute out to salute the very excellent, very under-the-radar, wonderful filmmaker - Robert Wise.

(Selected Works)
  • The Curse of the Cat People
  • The Body Snatcher
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still
  • The Haunting
  • The Andromeda Strain
  • Audrey Rose

My favorite work of his would be undoubtedly, The Haunting. Followed closely by The Day The Earth Stood Still, with The Body Snatcher coming in a close third.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Evil Dead

Outstanding post! Wise is a true master who does not get the recognition he deserves.If I were to list my top 100 movies Mr.Wise would be involved many of those titles.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
He was actually from my town.He went to high school here and they even named the auditorium at the high school after him.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Cranky

Yah, Robert Wise was a master. Every film you mention is a great classic. The Body Snatcher is one of the greatest Karloff/Lugosi teamings.

Day the Earth Stood Still is one of the greatest sci-fi films ever and The Haunting is the quintesential ghost story.

A deft director in every project he undertook.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff