Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 AM
HDC Idol

Let's talk about Miike, baby.

I just watched Visitor Q last night. And. Wow.

The film obviously borrows a lot from Blue Velvet while at the same time pulls out and examines even more taboo sexual themes while providing commentary on not only the filmmaker, but the audience as victimizer.

Beautifully done, artfully directed and strong acting, this movie was nothing but... impressive. It provides an objective an alienated view of extremely disturbing and uncomfortable topics and creates a successful atmosphere of dis-ease. There was not one single moment in that film where I felt safe and, for that, I think that Miike is an incredible director.
I think that with Visitor Q he makes us examine our role as audience members and make us reflect on what we, personally, consider shocking and disturbing.

For me, the last image that you are left with as a viewer was by far the most disturbing of the movie. However, this makes me question, "Why was this the most disturbing? And why did I not have a similar reaction from the first scene, which is equally as abhorrent?" I think that by the last scene you have a sense of all of the characters and it definitely has more impact, whereas the first scene you are getting an introduction, and it feels as though there's more of a caption under an image without any meaning attached to it: Have you ever had sex with your father? You get the image and you get the caption, but you don't have time for the two to settle in. That's something that I find incredibly interesting about this director - He is testing the audience to ultimately find out, "What truly disturbs you?"

The movie is riddled with all kinds of violence - both physical and sexual, with the juxtaposition being, "Which is the worse offense? Which makes you feel more uncomfortable? The physical violence? Or the sexual trespasses? In a few times, he uses the physical violence to break up sexual violence (the scene with the bullies as comic relief from the sexual themes - the fact that this violence is "relief" says a lot about the viewer as a person I believe).

The more I think about this movie, the more I honestly appreciate it.

This is the third time that I've seen a work of Miike's, the first being the short film The Box as part III of Three... Extremes, and the second being Audition. When I reflect on these works, it's very obvious that he likes to prey on your sense of normalcy and diverge into the absurd. And, moreover, he creates worlds that are not safe.

So.

What do you think of Miike? Pros? Cons? Overrated? Underrated? I mostly want to hear what others think about Visitor Q: Initial responses? Reactions? Why, in your opinion, is this a lauded film in pulp Asian cinema?

I am honestly excited to see Ichi: The Killer and more of his work. Gozu is also in my Netflix queue.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

I have mixed feelings about Miike.

I know he is very versitile, and i do like some of his stuff.
the 1st thing i saw was Ichi which i didn't like at the time .. although it was ultra violet - it still had a lot of the same corny characters (why are japanese villians always blonde ? is it an anti-west thing ?)

i think if i watched it again i might like it a little more.

I own several of his films, I just go the DOA box set (i previously saw the last one without seeing the 1st two)

I've seen One Missed Call. nothing special there.

I have Audition but haven't watched it yet.

I guess for me it depends on my mood and frame of mind if and when i want to see the more 'challenging' films .. i'm not often into being made uncomfortable just for the sake of being uncomfortable.

if i'm not in the mood it seems contrived and manipulative as say - the flip side (disney films)

so i guess i could take him or leave him .. but i do appreciate him and i'm interested in his work overall.

Last edited by urgeok2; 03-13-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
I have mixed feelings about Miike.
So do I actually.

I LOVE Audition, from the slow build up to the absolutely chilling ending, I think it is a great film. I never even made it through Ichi the Killer, though I do plan to try again sometime. And Visitor Q I found intriguing some of the time, but mostly, I just didn't care for it. I certainly didn't find it to be a very likable film, and I was kind of unsure how to take it. I may watch it again sometime to see if I missed something, but really, I think it is just not for me. I just didn't connect with it much of the time, though it did effect me at times, in the very next moment, I would just be asking myself "what's the point?".

But I do find Miike to be an interesting director. I might not always like it, but I usually find something a bit intriguing in his work and I will be watching more (I have yet to see One Missed Call).
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Evil Puppy

I think Miike is overrated as a master of gore and truly underrated as a director and moviemaker in general. He continue to examine new facets of humanity and morality while making movies that can make you laugh, cringe, or they can simply leave you overwhelmed. His talent is limitless in my opinion and I hope he's using these films that vary so wildly to find his "sweet spot" and if I'm right, and he finds it, we'll be treated to one of the best films ever. I haven't had a chance to watch the film but I know he's even done a movie examining homosexual relationships in an all boys school (or juvenile home, can't remember). If you want to experience a broader range of Miike make sure you watch Dead or Alive (one of the best endings ever, which reminds me...) and The Happiness of the Katakuris which are both very different but ultimately equally good. In the end I just hope Miike isn't pigeonholed as a gorehound's director, he's good with the shocking and grotesque but that's not all he has to offer.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Evil Dead

Miike is always at least interesting to me.Thats as high a compliment I can give any director.I have seen Several of his movies and I think at this point AUDITION is his defining work.
IMPRINT certainly got mixed reviews but I found it intruiging,disgusting and very entertaining.
Based on his work to date, I would pursue any film he is attatched to.

Great thread, Chrono!!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymob View Post
Miike is always at least interesting to me.Thats as high a compliment I can give any director.I have seen Several of his movies and I think at this point AUDITION is his defining work.
IMPRINT certainly got mixed reviews but I found it intruiging,disgusting and very entertaining.

Great thread, Chrono!!
I thought Audition was good but I would hardly say it's the pinnacle of his work. I actually like Box more than Audition. :eek:
Old 04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
HDC Idol

Des - I agree with you on that one. I think that The Box is overlooked as a strong volume in his work. It was my favorite of the Three Extremes shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymob View Post

Great thread, Chrono!!
I have not seen Imprint. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; I'm adding it to my Netflix queue right now.

So as part of my monthly Ladies Asian Horror Night, I brought over Ichi The Killer and watched it this evening.

A few thoughts:
  • As per usual, the visuals were stunning, the characters lucid and eccentric and there is a ubiquitous feeling of dis-ease.
  • The murder/fight/torture scenes were great - Definitely goes out of its way to make the audience feel uncomfortable, but at the same time emulating classic horror themes.
  • Typical Miike themes exist - Violence begetting violence, Past defining present, S&M (sex linked inextricably with violence), and the emphasis on power, control, hubris and weakness.

HOWEVER,
This was Miike doing Yakuza, so he wasn't necessarily trying to do something new, per say, but to make a popular JA genre his own. I honestly thought that the movie was slow (typical of Asian films, yes, but I found myself getting bored between violent action scenes, when usually I am captivated for one reason or another). I think that while the visuals are stunning, ultimately as a film, Ichi ran a little flat. I found myself wanting to like it so much more than I actually did (if that makes any sense).

Any comments on Ichi? I know that a lot of people single this movie out as being particularly iconic - What is your take on the film?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Evil Puppy

I thought Ichi was a fittingly visceral live action manga. The sex and violence was carried out with style and an unflinching nerve and while I think Miike's Dead or Alive was a better yakuza film I really feel that Ichi is a more entertaining watch. Like you said Chrono, there's a lot of typical Miike themes in Ichi but the extreme violence is balanced with some comedy and a direction that helps keep it from being an exploitation flick. I liked it.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
I have mixed feelings about him aswell.

at first I disliked Ichi The Killer. It grew on me though.
its a fucking crime that people call it one of the goriest movies ever made, becasue its far, far from it, and may leave many people dissapointed if they go into it expecting that, which is what i did. one of the main reasons i didnt like it too much at first, but i gained respect for it through multiple viewings.

Imprint seemed like it existed only to fit as much depravity on a screen within an hour as it could.

I think he has a knack for surrealism though.
Happiness of the katakuris was bizzare and lots of fun, and Ive heard Gozu was more or less a surrealist film too.

I dont really know what to think of Audition. It didnt really stand out to me as anything special.

Ive been meaning to catch Visitor Q, and especially this Sukiyaki Western Django.

I think hes got a lot of potential, and if your into ultra-depravity, general bizzare-ness, and pitch black humor, hes the guy for you.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman View Post
I have mixed feelings about him aswell.

at first I disliked Ichi The Killer. It grew on me though.
its a fucking crime that people call it one of the goriest movies ever made, becasue its far, far from it, and may leave many people dissapointed if they go into it expecting that, which is what i did. one of the main reasons i didnt like it too much at first, but i gained respect for it through multiple viewings.
I think that that was part of my problem with the film, now that you mention it. After being exposed to his sense of sexual depravity in Visitor Q and his sense for blood, violence, and torture in Audition, I think that what I expected from Ichi The Killer would be more straight out Yakuza - blood, guts, violence, action, with not necessarily a lot of deconstruction or analysis.

Not that deconstruction is a bad thing of course (I'm a dork - I love it), I think I was just expecting something more straight-forward-bloody.

But I can see your point, Mothman - I think that the purpose of this film is to explore what Miike generally explores in his films - character development revolving around desire, power, hubris, weakness, etc.

In regards to the gore, a lot of it is purposefully off-scene, so it's clear that Miike is self-conscious of his notoriety and also the expectations that would come from viewing a film like this.