Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Abusive Husband Stabbed 193 Times

Husband's character put on trial in stabbing

Susan Wright's accused of stabbing her husband 193 times and burying him in their back yard.

Attorneys for Susan Wright began the defense phase of her murder trial Friday, aiming to show the mother acted in self-defense when she stabbed her husband at least 193 times and buried him under their backyard patio.

Defense attorneys tried to shift the spotlight away from 27-year-old Susan Wright and cast it instead on her husband, Jeffrey Wright -- alleging drug problems, abusive behavior and marital infidelity.

They also are trying to prove that Susan Wright did not tie her husband to the bed and stab him, as the prosecution contends. Instead, the defense said Jeffrey Wright pulled a knife on his wife, who wrestled it away and stabbed him in a fit of terror.

The defense strategy emerged earlier this week during the prosecution phase, as Wright's attorneys lingered over evidence that Jeffrey Wright, 34, was high on cocaine when he was killed in a northwest Harris County home on Jan. 13, 2003.

"Were you surprised to learn Jeffrey had used cocaine before he died?" defense attorneys Neal Davis and Todd Ward have repeatedly asked witnesses at the trial.

Jeffrey Wright cheated on his wife and sometimes drove to Austin to smoke crack cocaine and have three-way sexual encounters with two topless dancers, Paul Cullen, one of Jeffrey Wright's longtime friends, testified Friday.

Jeffrey Wright, a carpet and floor-tile salesman, was placed on probation for assaulting a topless dancer in Austin, defense attorneys have often told jurors.

Prosecutor Kelly Siegler contends Jeffrey Wright was not abusive -- a view supported by several of the Wrights' friends and neighbors who testified for the state.

Susan Wright's claim that her husband was not tied up when he died was undercut Thursday when a medical examiner said he probably was restrained, based on the location of the wounds that covered his face, neck and chest, but not his back or hands.

Defense attorneys also have focused on any accounts that suggest Jeffrey Wright physically assaulted his wife, who also had worked as a topless dancer before they were married.

"I thought she was being abused," said 29-year-old Erica Labian, a salon worker who helped color Susan Wright's hair. Labian said she recalled seeing a bruise on Susan Wright's leg.

The Wrights' marriage appeared to be one of "master-slave relationship," said the Wrights' next-door neighbor, Jackie Davies.

And defense attorneys have asked several witnesses about how Jeffrey Wright once returned from a trip to Las Vegas and gave his wife a venereal disease.

State District Judge Jim Wallace issued a gag order barring attorneys directly involved in the case from speaking to the media.

Legal observers said the defense's strategy is not uncommon for self-defense claims.

"There is always a theory we run through in cases of self defense, that some people just need killing," said Houston attorney Chip Lewis, who has been watching the weeklong trial.

Some observers wonder whether allegations about the Wrights' troubled marriage will be enough to pull the seven-man, five-woman jury's attention away from the killing itself.

"The problem they've got is all those stab wounds and him being tied to that bed," said defense attorney John LaGrappe, who has observed parts of the trial this week. "Can the jury get past that?"

Testimony will resume Monday.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 03-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

I just simultaneously thought "yeah!" and "Fucking CHRIST!" at the same time.
Quote:
Abusive Husband Stabbed
that part's cool
Quote:
193 Times
That's a bit much. Depending on where he was stabbed, he probably would've been dead after 10, this is like almost 20 times that. He must've done some horrible shit. Did he run trains on her or something?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to shiftyc2
damn wow wut if this guy survived he could rap and be like the new 50 cent ''i got stabbed 193 times, im a p.i.m.p and i do dope" throw in some gunplay and he goes double platinum. well oh well he is dead send the bitch to jail.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Banned

Well, I'm sure he was a sleazeball, but killing him was the wrong thing to do, unless it really was in self-defense. I assume they didn't have any kids, so it would have been easy for her to just pack up her shit and leave one night when he is asleep. Its a no-brainer. All she did was trade one hellish life for another. One that could be lived behind prison bars. Nice job, lady.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned

I don't see how it could be self-defense.
"You stabbed him!"
"It was self defense!"
"But...you stabbed him almost 200 times..."
"...uh...he was a ZOOOOOOOMBIE!!!"
Old 03-05-2004, 05:59 PM
does anybody read this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
I don't see how it could be self-defense.
"You stabbed him!"
"It was self defense!"
"But...you stabbed him almost 200 times..."
"...uh...he was a ZOOOOOOOMBIE!!!"
yeah thats what i'm thinking. if he was stabbed 4 maybe 5 times i could see self defense but when you stab him 193 times somethings up. and they said he was stabbed in the face so...
Old 03-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Hellraiser

Imagine all the pent up anger and the fear if he was abusive. Imagine how abusive he must have been to drive her to that. If he was a wife-beater, he deserved it in my opinion.

-David Mills
Se7en
Old 03-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Thaide
Imagine all the pent up anger and the fear if he was abusive. Imagine how abusive he must have been to drive her to that. If he was a wife-beater, he deserved it in my opinion.
If it were the other way around, and a husband-beater got stabbed 193 times, would you feel the same way?

Last edited by Sam The Egg; 03-06-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
If it were the other way around, and a husband-beater god stabbed 193 times, would you feel the same way?
LOL Husband beater. How many of those are there? Very few. But yes, if a guy who was physicaly smaller than his wife was being beaten up on and all of the other shit that goes along with spousel abuse, then sure, it would warrented. That reminds me of a movie I saw on the Lifetime channel. It was about a guy whose wife was abusing him and the kids. The irony of this was that in an attempt to hit him, she fell over a coffee table and when the police came out, they immeadiatly started treating him like the abuser. Nobody would believe him. Also, on a simular note, a few years back, a man who worked for a local taxi cab company claimed he was raped by a female passanger. Needless to say, the cops laughed him out of the police station and the cab company fired him.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Banned

It happens. Someone on another message board I go to talked about his gf beating on him. He won't hit her back because he won't hit girls. I kept telling him to headbutt her, but he wouldn't listen to me.