Old 02-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Midnight toker

Tyrannosaur: Gritty drama directed by Paddy Considine. Solid peformances from Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman, telling a story of two people trying to come to terms with their lives. I thought it drifted towards cliche at times and maybe wanted to be more thought provoking than it actual was. That said, it holds itself together and has plenty of impact. It's not a movie that is gonna appeal to everyone due to the violent and miserable nature, but its a solid movie that survives on some fine acting and plenty of well delivered scenes. 7/10 type of movie that genre fans are gonna enjoy.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Evil Dead

Woman In Black (2012)

I thought this was incredibly slow and boring. Almost fell asleep a few times.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Evil Dead

Satanic (2006, featuring Angus Scrimm and Jeffrey Combs). Very short budget, but pretty interesting and catchy.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Scares Little Kids

Thumbs up Halloween H20 (1998)

such an amazing film
Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
What did you think? I actually really liked the first one (what did you think of the first one too?)... I heard this one got PANNED, but I still want to see it. I'm such a sucker for found footage...

The Dead (2010)

I'm going to be honest - I definitely think it was the mood that I was in, but I was bored to tears with this movie.

HOWEVER, my boyfriend loved it, so let me tell it from his perspective... This is an old-school Romero-esque zombie movie that feels as though it should have been made sometime after Dawn of the Dead. It's a bare-boned zombie survival flick placed in Africa. Definitely heavy-handed at times (too much for my pallet, personally), it has some good, bloody flesh-eating slow-moving zombies.

If you're a fan of Night of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and old school Romero, I think you will really like this. Mark considers it a nice addition to the Romero school of zombie films...

For me, unfortunately, it felt too heavy-handed and boooooooooooooooring.

Chronicle (2012)

I really, really liked this movie. I did. I liked the concept of taking the super hero origin and putting it in the hands of teenagers who just want to use it to mess around. You have some well fleshed-out characters, and some really solid acting, especially from Dane DeHaan who plays the troubled, unhinged, and eventually genuinely creepy Andrew. The movie creates a realistic bond between these three boys who are exploring the powers mysteriously stowed upon them from an unearthly discovery... There's the conflict of Good vs. Evil, especially when it comes to the freedom to do almost everything... I loved the acting and the direction (though, again, as I've said before I'm a HUGE sucker for found footage films)... I also think it's highly original; it's NOT a super hero movie... It's NOT a super villain movie... It's NOT a teen drama... It's NOT an action film... yet it takes bits and pieces of each to create a truly unique character piece that I think that many people on here will enjoy.

Highly recommended.

4/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Misanthrope

Been wanting to check out Chronicle glad to hear it's a good watch.

I loved The Dead but I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
What did you think? I actually really liked the first one (what did you think of the first one too?)... I heard this one got PANNED, but I still want to see it. I'm such a sucker for found footage...
It's not found footage* and not all that good. If you watch it as a straight to dvd zombie flick its a decent time filler, but if you expect anything more you'll be disappointed. It kinda just falls from one scene to another and seems to do its best to ruin any intensity it manages to generate.

*I don't just mean in a literal sense, its filmed traditionally, no shaky-cam action.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I thought it was a tad less impressive than the first one. Actually, both are pretty decent entertainers but nowhere near the class of [*REC].

I liked the way they shaped the 2nd one in the beginning, but it got a bit too gimmicky for my taste from the middle onwards till the end. The first one is actually decent, but yes, if you give me a choice, I d rather stick to the originals. Watch this sequel if you are interested in the footage stuff, otherwise skip it.

[*REC] & [*REC]² any day, over these two.

P.S. - On a side note, I am really glad you liked Chronicle. One film which deserves more recognition than it actually got. Have to keep an eye out for The Dead.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 AM
That fucking Guy...

Saw the ?2011? Conan.
It's nothing really like the other ones, but I don't really think it suffered all that much from it. It was "ok".
Some nice scenery. The fight scenes were ok, the dialogue...much the same...
It was an alright entertainer.
Probably a great drunk watch, I'd say.

Did you guys know that "Kull the Conqueror" was actually originally meant to be the third Conan film?
Not sure why it wasn't, I think there were some legal/ownership issues that resulted in it falling through as an actual sequel.
Interestingly Kull is a character created by the same guy from what I know, and I remember reading that he's meant to be somehow distantly related?
Anyways, wasn't a great film but like the "new" Conan, it was ok.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 AM
HDC Idol

Re: The Dead

Elvis - I totally get why you enjoyed it and, honestly, I recommend it to a lot of folks on here who are into old school Romero zombies (like I think that V, Disease, Despare, and Fortunato would really dig this film, for example). It almost feels like it should have been made in the earlier 90s instead of the abysmal Land of the Dead - It's definitely a good addition to the slow-moving Romero zombie collection. Having that in mind, it seems out of time since it actually came out in 2010. I don't think that I was in the mood for it, to be honest... Or maybe I just don't like that zombie genre? It's possible... For zombie fans on here, though, I do think you should check this out.

Re: Quarantine and Quarantine 2

I think that I'm definitely in the minority, here, but I actually liked Quarantine slightly more than [REC], mostly because of the ending (I preferred Quarantine's ending to [REC]'s)... Don't get me wrong; [REC] was great; Quarantine just edged it out slightly.

Straker and V, thanks for the reviews on Quarantine 2 - It's currently on Netflix Instant so I'll probably check it out sooner rather than later; Just wondering what you guys thought.

I really liked [REC]2; I really did (though the boyfriend thought it was a waste of film... I liked how it built off of the first movie. Definitely well-done and it evolved in a way that I thought was creepy.

Re: Chronicle

V! YES! This movie is SO GOOD! Glad that you saw it and loved it - It's subtle, well-done, and has a fantastic build up and a great climactic scene. Tight acting and directing and I really thought it was refreshingly original... It's actually getting some pretty good reviews (Rotten Tomatoes, Roger Ebert, etc.), so I was surprised that more people on here haven't seen it yet.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!