Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyd1977 View Post
hahaha, when he is under the stairs and he is proper fucked up freaked me out so bad first time i ever saw it.
The ending really took me by surprise. An ending you've seen a lot of the last 15 years, but not back then.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I caught the last 20 minutes or so on TV a couple of years ago, but I don't really remember much except that he went full Jack Nicholson unlike the original. I plan to watch the remake, however.

There are quite a few movies where it's not the house that's haunted, like in Paranormal Activity, but even if it is the house, then it's a certain demon, like in Poltergeist. And, if it's not a specific demon, then that location usually is isolated, like in The Shining, or the building itself changes in order to trap the victims, like in Grave Encounters.
So there's no other haunted house movie where they could've just left? Also as i already mentioned the house possessed the father/husband and he was keeping them there and think about it realistically. If something like that really happened in those circumstances would you really think that the house was possessing your significant other and uproot your entire life and move into a new house (Which is not as easy as movies make it seem) or would you just think theres something wrong with your spouse? The latter seems more likely to me. I hate the whole "Just leave the house" argument.

Also this is just nitpicking but with the first poltergeist it was the house that was haunted because of the burial ground. The demon storyline was in the second one.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
So there's no other haunted house movie where they could've just left? Also as i already mentioned the house possessed the father/husband and he was keeping them there and think about it realistically. If something like that really happened in those circumstances would you really think that the house was possessing your significant other and uproot your entire life and move into a new house (Which is not as easy as movies make it seem) or would you just think theres something wrong with your spouse? The latter seems more likely to me. I hate the whole "Just leave the house" argument.

Also this is just nitpicking but with the first poltergeist it was the house that was haunted because of the burial ground. The demon storyline was in the second one.
Even before he went completely psycho, Kathy saw the pig eyes and other evidently paranormal stuff in the house. Something I did like about the remake that I forgot to mention was that it was more obvious that George was slowly being taken by the house because in the original, it seemed very sudden. He seemed like a more concrete villain than just the house.

You're right about the Poltergeist thing now that I remember, and to be honest, I hate the whole "built on an ancient burial ground" plot device.

Last edited by horcrux2007; 01-09-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Even before he went completely psycho, Kathy saw the pig eyes and other evidently paranormal stuff in the house. Something I did like about the remake that I forgot to mention was that it was more obvious that George was slowly being taken by the house because in the original, it seemed very sudden. He seemed like a more concrete villain than just the house.

You're right about the Poltergeist thing now that I remember, and to be honest, I hate the whole "built on an ancient burial ground" plot device.
People make themselves believe what they want to believe. Most people would not decide to move out of their homes like in Insidious because they think its haunted. I've heard many people mention that they felt like their house was haunted but none of them moved out because of it. It's just never been an issue i've had with haunted house movies, just feels like nitpicking.

Name one other movie that has used that plot device.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
People make themselves believe what they want to believe. Most people would not decide to move out of their homes like in Insidious because they think its haunted. I've heard many people mention that they felt like their house was haunted but none of them moved out because of it. It's just never been an issue i've had with haunted house movies, just feels like nitpicking.

Name one other movie that has used that plot device.
I meant in that movie specifically.

I get what you're saying about Amityville Horror, but I would have liked a more concrete villain.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
I meant in that movie specifically.

I get what you're saying about Amityville Horror, but I would have liked a more concrete villain.
So would i which is why i'm not big on Haunted House movies. You rarely ever get a concrete villain

Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Evil Dead

'Salems Lot' (1979)
-David Soul, James Mason

Plot: Writer returns to his hometown to write a book about the local"haunted house" only to discover some real life horrors starting to happen.
Phantoms Review: One of my favorite adaptations of a Steven King story. Well acted, great atmospheric direction by Tobe Hooper and some genuinely creepy scenes.Worth watching, skip the remake.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 AM
Evil Dead

THE BROOD (1979). Really like David Cronenberg's work, although his earlier work tended to go scattershot until it was time for a grossout. More mature script here dealing with child abuse/looming divorce still bounces back and forth, but this is worth seeing. And if you hang in there, you'll be rewarded with one of the most wonderfully disgusting scenes ever filmed for my money. ***
Other Cronenberg films I really liked were THE DEAD ZONE, DEAD RINGERS, CRASH, M BUTTERFLY and especially A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE BROOD (1979). Really like David Cronenberg's work, although his earlier work tended to go scattershot until it was time for a grossout. More mature script here dealing with child abuse/looming divorce still bounces back and forth, but this is worth seeing. And if you hang in there, you'll be rewarded with one of the most wonderfully disgusting scenes ever filmed for my money. ***
Other Cronenberg films I really liked were THE DEAD ZONE, DEAD RINGERS, CRASH, M BUTTERFLY and especially A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.
Hey, Frye! Have you seen " SHIVERS 1975" ?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:54 PM

THE UNNAMABLE 1988

A monstrous offspring is left entombed in a house, cursed by her father. He was kind to her but ensured that she would never be able to leave the house.

Many, many years later, a group of college kids decide to explore and spend the night.

A little low key but quite enjoyable.