Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics

Old 05-05-2018, 10:38 PM
That fucking Guy...

Started reading "Paper Girls".

By Brian K Vaughan, writer of...
One of my favourites - Y The Last Man
One I couldn't really get into but a lot seem to love - Ex Machina
One that I thought looked very interesting but not my style - Saga
One that I loved in every way - The original run of the "Runaways" title.

So I went into this with at least the expectation that I'd be seeing a bit of a labour of love. I hold BKV in a similar light to the Luna Bros...they all write things that I either like or can at least see WHY people like them.

I didn't realise the whole series was finished by the time I read issue #1, so I've been binge reading a little bit, I'm up to about issue #8 now.

It's set, or at least starts in 1988...as an 80's kid myself, I dig the throwback...and they handle the era, the "personality" of the era and their referencing with grace.

I don't have this happen much any more - but this comic grabbed me.
By the end of issue #1 I knew it was one I wanted to keep reading and see through.
Without spoiling anything I can say that it's a story of four young girls that deliver papers, who kind of team up on their late night runs...and then, weirdness happens.
A lot of weirdness.
Bullies. Aliens. Maybe NOT aliens. Sci fi mystery. A conspiracy. A bit of violence for good measure. Time travel, a displaced person, twists and turns and changes.

It's like...I want to say more, something to clear up what's going to just look like a jumble of words...but I really don't want to risk spoiling much of anything for those that would read it.

Grab a collected edition if you can. I don't see this one disappointing many people.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:12 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
That sounds like a great book! I never read superhero comics, but Paper Girls sounds like the sort of thing I like.

It's kinda old now, but I enjoy Revival. Been making my way through that, and trying to track down every issue of Providence, which is hard if you want to stick to B&M stores.

I also try to get everything Eric Powell does. I loved The Goon, but now I follow Hillbilly.

Wytches is good, but I've only read the first volume. I need to get the 2nd one, eventually.

Last edited by knife_fight; 05-06-2018 at 04:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-06-2018, 05:48 AM
Misanthrope

Paper Girls is excellent.

Just got through with Ringside which I enjoyed a lot. The art was pretty average I thought but the story made up for it.

Ice Cream Man has been a pretty good horror anthology styled comic.

Binged out on Sex Criminals... pretty hooked on it.

Kill Or Be Killed is still going great. My favourite comic at the moment. Brubaker is a great writer.

Deathstroke vs Batman (Deathstroke #30) has started out pretty well.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I never really read comics and I'm not a fan of anything having to do with superheroes (movies, shows or video games). Personally I think that stuff is kind of cheesy.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Started reading "Paper Girls".

By Brian K Vaughan, writer of...
One of my favourites - Y The Last Man
One I couldn't really get into but a lot seem to love - Ex Machina
One that I thought looked very interesting but not my style - Saga
One that I loved in every way - The original run of the "Runaways" title.

So I went into this with at least the expectation that I'd be seeing a bit of a labour of love. I hold BKV in a similar light to the Luna Bros...they all write things that I either like or can at least see WHY people like them.

I didn't realise the whole series was finished by the time I read issue #1, so I've been binge reading a little bit, I'm up to about issue #8 now.

It's set, or at least starts in 1988...as an 80's kid myself, I dig the throwback...and they handle the era, the "personality" of the era and their referencing with grace.

I don't have this happen much any more - but this comic grabbed me.
By the end of issue #1 I knew it was one I wanted to keep reading and see through.
Without spoiling anything I can say that it's a story of four young girls that deliver papers, who kind of team up on their late night runs...and then, weirdness happens.
A lot of weirdness.
Bullies. Aliens. Maybe NOT aliens. Sci fi mystery. A conspiracy. A bit of violence for good measure. Time travel, a displaced person, twists and turns and changes.

It's like...I want to say more, something to clear up what's going to just look like a jumble of words...but I really don't want to risk spoiling much of anything for those that would read it.

Grab a collected edition if you can. I don't see this one disappointing many people.
I'm behind and still haven't picked up Paper Girls. I guess I'm really behind if the series is over already. But I also haven't finished The Luna Brothers series called Girls. I plan on getting the big collected version. I do have the first issue of that one though.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 AM
That fucking Guy...

I was wrong - it's actually not finished, still going.

Not that there's anything wrong with "late". I actually envy the fuck out of anyone that's had a whole series pass them by, to read it later on...no breaks. It's like getting to watch a whole show at once.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I was wrong - it's actually not finished, still going.

Not that there's anything wrong with "late". I actually envy the fuck out of anyone that's had a whole series pass them by, to read it later on...no breaks. It's like getting to watch a whole show at once.
Sometimes I like getting the whole collected edition and reading it all at once. But because I used to go to comic shops weekly or at times every Wednesday, I still like the monthly comic. Even more so if the covers are good as good covers usually go up in price too. There are tons of old horror magazine and comic covers I need to get. That Archie Vampironica just started and there are a few good covers for that one.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Misanthrope

Been hitting Detective Comics from #934 onwards... great stuff really digging it. Checking out a lot of the rebirth era stuff Deathstroke, Titans, Suicide Squad.

Issue #1 of She Could Fly was pretty good. Interested to see where it goes with it's themes of mental illness and paranoia.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:10 AM
Evil Dead

Some acquisitions from CREEPY CLASSICS:
MONSTER BASH #7, #8 and #9.
Also WEIRD April 1967 and TERROR TALES June 1974/October 1976.
Still as outrageous and demented as ever.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Little Boo

There a lot of comics that go way further capes and trunks over trousers !

Hellblazer : film noir + horror and a "hero" that often loses and ends up killing his friends/lovers
Gotham Central : ordinary police in a crazy world with a supervillain from time to time
The empty man, Bruning Fields, Locke and Key : only ordinary powerless humans VS evil
The Unwritten : the son of a writer triggers supernatural events in places linked to famous novels.

An so on and so forth... I would not say that the horror genre is just about slasher movies ;) so comics are not only about Superman and Avengers.

(Did not even mention the hero deconstruction in Watchmen or the works of Eisner, Crumley etc.)