Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Little Boo

A little let down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post
The 80's and early 90's are definitely my favourite era for films. I much prefer the effects from back then rather than the cgi nowadays. Cgis good for some things but for good old gore and splatter i prefer the old way of doing it!!
Hi,
I watched Halloween ll the other evening, I had not seen it for many years, I remember seeing it when it originally was released, at the time I thought it was good, but the other night I felt a little let down, Michael Myers did not seem as threatening or as frightening as I first thought, way back in 1982, prior to that I watched "Visiting Hours" a 1980 movie featuring Michael Ironside as a Psychopathic murderer, the premise of the film was very similar to Halloween ll, both predominantly set in a hospital, where patients and staff were at the mercy of each of the crazed killers, the plot lines were very flimsy, and I wondered how did they achieve critical acclaim, as films go, they were not well made, as horror stories, they held up in the sense they maintained the legend of the slasher movie.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
fanged menace

being born in 1977 i was just getting into horror during the late 80`s and early 90`s and a lot of movies i loved back then really dont stand up to the test of time, poor effects, poor scripts and acting, poor sets, just plain lame....but i still love them.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

I think the thing I miss most from that era was the experimentation.

Yes, there were bad scripts and bad effects in many of the low budget films, but they were so unique. You had so many films with outrageous plots or absolutely no plot at all. Films that Lucio Fulci called "absolute" where you basically just took an idea like "There's a house, some people and some zombies" and that was the film. It played out like a Nightmare. Random things happen in our dreams and things don't always make sense. The same type of thing was applied to so many films from that time period because a lot of guys took ideas from their own dreams and nightmares and cast them onto film.

There was so much outlandish fantasy out there. There were always people pushing boundaries with fantastic tales, but when the Horror boom of the 80's really took off they just all tried to be more outlandish and more over the top than the last film that came out. Most of it was done out of pure fun and not meant to be taken seriously and that's what made it fun for me as a viewer. I love serious films, but I also love the zaniness from something made for no other reason to be completely outlandish.

I miss those times and those films. My other favorite time period for horror movies was from the 1920-40's. There was so much experimentation going on with film. German expressionism and monsters and all sorts of crazy ideas as science was making new leaps and bounds. I get the same feeling from that period of the late 70's-early 90's. Again science and technology making new leaps and bounds. Computers and video games and graphics and using that new technology in films. Nobody knew how far you could go with it so people just imagined all sorts of things.

It was such a fun time.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Little Boo

Can anyone help ive had something bugging me for years i watched a horror film when i was very young where there was a possessed girl all i remember was that she was wearing yellow top and red trousers and ended up in a dark street/alleyway where she jumped down a manhole her family chased after her a tried to talk her out of going, i feel like im going nuts but everytime i watch a horror it does my head in not knowing what its called i was born in 88 so its going to be around that time if anyone could shed a light that would be great id love actuallg watch it again
Old 12-27-2014, 03:13 AM
Little Boo

I love the nostalgia in watching 80's horror. Even though I was born in 87 I used to stay up late at my dads in the mid 90s and watch all the 80s horror films that were thrown on at midnight as a channel filler.

I wouldn't say they are as scary/jumpy as films from the last 15 years but certainly have more gore and have a general "horror" feel.

For example last night I decided to watch maximum overdrive which lets be honest is generically a terrible film but the feel of the 80s horror behind it brings out that excitement and makes me go back to the time when I was barley a teenager.

Tags
80's, bizarre, disturbing, horror, nightmare