Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 PM
病気の

A Christmas Carol, 1938. 8/10

Old 12-25-2018, 12:14 AM
Evil Dead

THE GORGAN (1964). While the titular monster isn't so much, this Hammer has, in my opinion, aged a lot better than many of the time. Great sets and music and some real good performances by Christopher Lee (one of his better ones), Peter Cushing and Barbara Shelley. ***1/2
Old 12-25-2018, 11:53 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE GORGAN (1964). While the titular monster isn't so much, this Hammer has, in my opinion, aged a lot better than many of the time. Great sets and music and some real good performances by Christopher Lee (one of his better ones), Peter Cushing and Barbara Shelley. ***1/2
I've actually never seen this one, though I seem to recall starting it one Saturday afternoon and bailing on it, as a kid. Not that any of the Hammer films were for kids, but they became staples in the 'creature feature' TV format, and Gorgon was probably least accessible to a kids sensibilities.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
A Christmas Carol, 1938. 8/10

DAD, believe that's from the 1951 version with Alister Sim.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1938). Pretty much agree with your rating (8/10). There have been many versions of the Dickens story, but like this one the best. Really good sets and Reginald Owen shines as Scrooge. Only beef I can have is a few aspects of the story pertaining to why Scrooge is the way he is are missing (revealed in more detail in 1951's version). Figured MGM had the capital to include them in the story.
Really good, though, overall and lots of cast members who were in other genre favorites: Gene Lockheart (MIRACLE ON 34th STREET), Terry Kilburn (THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE), Leo G Carroll (TOWER OF LONDON, TARANTULA), Billy Bevan (DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE), Harry Cording (THE BLACK CAT, many Sherlock Holmes), Olaf Hytten (GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, many Sherlock Holmes), Forrester Harvey (THE INVISIBLE MAN), Halliwell Hobbes (DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE, many Sherlock Holmes) and June Lockheart ( SHE WOLF OF LONDON and TV's LOST IN SPACE). ****
Old 12-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Banned

Zombie's Lake (1981)

I've a question regarding this film: Why would they, of all things, make a German stormtrooper one of the most compassionate zombies in horror history?!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DAD, believe that's from the 1951 version with Alister Sim.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1938). Pretty much agree with your rating (8/10). There have been many versions of the Dickens story, but like this one the best. Really good sets and Reginald Owen shines as Scrooge. Only beef I can have is a few aspects of the story pertaining to why Scrooge is the way he is are missing (revealed in more detail in 1951's version). Figured MGM had the capital to include them in the story.
Really good, though, overall and lots of cast members who were in other genre favorites: Gene Lockheart (MIRACLE ON 34th STREET), Terry Kilburn (THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE), Leo G Carroll (TOWER OF LONDON, TARANTULA), Billy Bevan (DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE), Harry Cording (THE BLACK CAT, many Sherlock Holmes), Olaf Hytten (GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, many Sherlock Holmes), Forrester Harvey (THE INVISIBLE MAN), Halliwell Hobbes (DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE, many Sherlock Holmes) and June Lockheart ( SHE WOLF OF LONDON and TV's LOST IN SPACE). ****
It's a Momma!

In Christmas Carol '38, I like the scene where all the kids are so happy discovering pops brought home a goose, they open up the covering and all the kids happily rubdown the dead goose!

It looks like a nice tight and cosey version of the story. I know I've seen it, but I don't remember it all that well.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-11-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:31 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieLover12 View Post
Zombie's Lake (1981)

I've a question regarding this film: Why would they, of all things, make a German stormtrooper one of the most compassionate zombies in horror history?!
Why do you say they were compassionate? In a trailer I saw they just looked like slow moving biters to me.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Why do you say they were compassionate? In a trailer I saw they just looked like slow moving biters to me.
The trailer obviously didn't show you that one zombie had a daughter that lived in the town and he wouldn't kill her and let others do the same, he guarded her.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:46 AM
Evil Dead

CHARLIE CHAN'S MURDER CRUISE/ CHARLIE CHAN IN PANAMA (both 1940)

Had never seen any of the series with Sidney Toler playing the inscrutable CC, and may be awhile before doing again. Decent pace on both films (single disc) with lots of cool supporting actors, particularly Lionel Atwill in both. Both were made by Paramount, but they both have a 1940's Universal vibe: silly, rushed and unfunny comedy relief. CCIP does get some help from pretty accurate naming of various spots in Panama that I remember from living in the Canal Zone from 1973-76. The biggest liability is the inclusion of "Number Two Son" played by Victor Sen Young...almost every scene gets thrown into the toilet by his character and almost wish Charle would put him in the Army or feed him to the sharks. In the same year, Young was very good in THE LETTER, playing an extremely conniving aide and he also ended playing Hop Sing on BONANZA!

CCMC-**1/2
CCIP-**
Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 AM
Evil Dead

BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA (1952). While it is as interesting as its title, Bela does get some good scenes in here. Also known as THE BOYS FROM BROOKLYN, the boys in question being Duke Mitchell and Sammy Petrillo. Duke isn't much, but Sammy looks and acts almost uncannily as a young Jerry Lewis...and about as annoying as Jerry could be too! **