Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Friday The 13th Part 3
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 View Post
Friday The 13th Part 3
What'd ya think, Bama? I saw this for the first time a couple years ago. I thought it was fairly well made. Didn't see it in 3d of course.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
ROCTOBER BLOOD 1986

Utter shite.
Agreed.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 AM
Living Dead

Shock Waves (1977), directed by Ken Wiederhorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I watched this yesterday and while I know I've commented on it before, think it's good enough to pass on more love. I think for the low budget He had, Director Sole does a first rate job here and feel this is one creepy film and certainly a damning view on organized religion. Some truly shocking scenes and some truly odd characters, particularly the annoying Aunt and especially MR Alphonso! Got more appreciation while listening to the commentary and while searching the web, found more interesting trivia, such as Linda Miller (The Mom) was the daughter of Jackie Gleason and married to Jason Miller (THE EXORCIST) and Jason Patric (THE LOST BOYS) is their son. Paula Shepard, creepy as the possibly psychotic 12 year old was actually in college when she made this. Mr Alphonso in real life was a bouncer in a Gay Bar and used to hang around cemeteries dressed as a priest and after consoling a visitor, would accept a "Donation for the Church" and while it has nothing really to do with the film, the red haired Policewoman was the chatty waitress in FRIDAY, THE 13th. ****
I've seen this film twice and I like it because of its gruesome mystery elements and stylish camerawork. Adding something to the trivia you provided, I've heard that Alfred Sole began his career doing adult films, such as Deep Sleep (1972) which actually isn't unusual as some other well-known horror makers also started that way (e.g. Wes Craven)... but this production was a reason why Sole was excommunicated from the Catholic Church and this event was kinda influential to creation of Alice, Sweet Alice. Not saying it was a revenge but makes sense why Sole wanted this to be entitled Communion.

I was really surprised when I found out that Paula Sheppard was 18-19 years old during the shoot because on the screen she looks like a child. However, the most grotesque character is Alphonso DeNoble (you mentioned him) who also appeared in two other low-budget horrors, Blood Sucking Freaks (1976) and Night of the Zombies (1981).
Old 04-13-2020, 09:06 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
What'd ya think, Bama? I saw this for the first time a couple years ago. I thought it was fairly well made. Didn't see it in 3d of course.
It's okay.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Evil Dead

Friday The 13th the final chapter
Old 04-13-2020, 05:29 PM
This is a test

SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 2 1987

A teen-age girl band is terrorized by a driller killer.

I didnt mind it.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:29 AM
Evil Dead

Friday The 13th Part 5 a new beginning
Old 04-15-2020, 01:10 AM
Immortal horror fan

Galaxy of Terror -

I finally watched Galaxy of Terror. I didn't know what to expect of the movie. I just knew James Cameron worked on it in his early days. I actually thought one of the characters in the movie was named Cameron until I checked wiki and his name is Cabren. Perhaps it was just late because many times I thought they were saying Cameron.

Anyway, there are many other notable actors that I didn't expect in the movie too. Some horror fans will recognize. I think I heard mixed feelings about Galaxy of Terror. But also that the movie influenced Aliens. And it does look like Aliens at times with the corridors and some of the shots. There are some fantastic paintings in the movie including a shot inside a pyramid that reminded me of Forbidden Planet. Even some of the events are similar to Aliens. The opening also reminded me a bit of Night of the Creeps. But what surprised me the most about the movie was that it wasn't that bad. It's not the best and far from Aliens. However, most of all I thought the movie felt like a live action version of a comic story that you might come across in Heavy Metal magazine. One of those really out there space stories with explorers going to unknown planets, having all kinds of problems arise, lots of violence, scenes that you would think would only be in a comic, and an ending that you would look forward to a conclusion in the next issue.

That poster image should tell you the kind of movie you will receive. But the poster is like a producer just told an artist to draw a scene without seeing the movie as the imagery is wrong. I bet Rockin Jelly Bean could come up with a really wild poster for Galaxy of Terror. This Friday the 13th homage is tame,

compared to many of their posters here.

https://expressobeans.com/public/search.php?artist=2947

But I found this poster as well. Which is probably way too good for the quality of the movie. Galaxy of Terror calls for a dark and wild poster hinting at the craziness you'll see on screen.

But from this poster I did finally find a good alternate Nightmare on Elm Street poster with some of the main characters.

Both of these posters have color variants. I know I'm getting one of these Nightmare on Elm Street posters. There is room for improvement such as maybe a few more characters and some notable scenes. But overall the feel of the poster with the characters is what I'm looking for.

Back to Galaxy of Terror, there are elements of a really good movie in here. I love the Captain of the ship. She's hilarious. She has a line early on that cracked me up and I would probably use the bathroom on myself if a pilot behaved like that to me in that scene. There is also a great line the Commander says to the pretty blonde lady. Sadly if an older guy said that to a woman today it might be seen as unwanted sexual advances or some other nonsense.

If you like violent deaths you'll be pleased with this movie. It doesn't let up on any of the crew. And that first poster image is a tease to what's in the movie. Apparently it's not just trees that can act crazy in horror movies.

I do think that looking at the movie, you can definitely see the talent behind the production. I saw James Cameron's name as a 2nd director as well. I would bet that a remake with a female hero would be a lot better. Also cleaning up the story a bit too. Although I did notice some things on a second watch & listen. But in the end the movie's conclusion didn't do much for me. And I enjoy about the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the movie the most. But I would take a modern sequel.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 04-15-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Living Dead

While watching Galaxy of Terror (1981), my first thought was "ALIEN". The movie was produced by Roger Corman and it was also his second film on which James Cameron worked as a crewman. Cameron's film techniques were quite innovative at that time, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post

Anyway, there are many other notable actors that I didn't expect in the movie too. Some horror fans will recognize. I think I heard mixed feelings about Galaxy of Terror. But also that the movie influenced Aliens. And it does look like Aliens at times with the corridors and some of the shots. There are some fantastic paintings in the movie including a shot inside a pyramid that reminded me of Forbidden Planet. Even some of the events are similar to Aliens. The opening also reminded me a bit of Night of the Creeps. But what surprised me the most about the movie was that it wasn't that bad. It's not the best and far from Aliens.
Surely, Alien (1979), directed by Ridley Scott, was an inspiration for Galaxy of Terror. It's quite noticeable. James Cameron later directed the sequel of Alien, Aliens (1986) which looks like Galaxy of Terror in some ways - as you said.
The movie is old-school and bizarre. I especially remember one scene - something 'maggot-like' raping a woman. It was gross, weird and somewhat surreal. I don't know why I have that particular scene in mind, perhaps because of all its oddity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
However, most of all I thought the movie felt like a live action version of a comic story that you might come across in Heavy Metal magazine. One of those really out there space stories with explorers going to unknown planets, having all kinds of problems arise, lots of violence, scenes that you would think would only be in a comic, and an ending that you would look forward to a conclusion in the next issue.
It's a graphic S-F flick. I also had the feeling as if I was watching a real version of a comic book. The whole movie definitely has something cartoon about it.

Last edited by Maila Munster; 04-16-2020 at 01:15 PM.