Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Scares Little Kids

Send a message via AIM to KealanPatrick
Master of the Moors E-Serial

Hey All:

Shamelessly plugging an upcoming work here, but I intend to hang around, so it isn't spam, I promise.

MASTER OF THE MOORS by KEALAN PATRICK BURKE

He walked with a stooped gait, hair disheveled and his movements slow and labored, like the reanimated corpse of one of the clansmen we'd read were buried here. To see his shadow in the fog you wouldn't have thought him threatening. But Neil and I knew better. We knew what he'd done, what he could do when the fancy took him. So when he emerged from the fog and the gray tendrils swept away from everything but his eyes, we were not at all surprised to see that he was smiling. Still smiling, even as more shadows fashioned themselves from the fog and a legion of red eyes floated like embers in the gloom around him. A chorus of low guttural growling sundered the veil between us. It sounded like someone cutting wet wood with a rusted saw.

"Jane," Neil whispered, and grabbed my wrist. I could feel him trembling.

"Jane," echoed the master of the moors, with a grin. "Have you come for the hunt?"

Sixteen-year-old Jane Mansfield and her blind brother Neil have lived on the edge of the Ballygrannock moors for as long as they can remember. Raised by their father after the death of their mother, they have learned to rely on imagination, and each other, to while away the solemn days in the quiet village.

Then, their father falls ill, and everything changes.

As if tuned to their father's sickness, a fog rolls in. Villagers begin to vanish. Lithe fleeting shadows are glimpsed lurking in the mist, and a laughing man walks the moors.

A man who has come back to settle an old score.

A man local legend calls the Master of the Moors.

MASTER OF THE MOORS will be a new novel, serialized and delivered via e-mail, FOR FREE to any and all that request it. As a further incentive, all readers will be entered into a competition to win one of forty signed limited edition hardcover books, courtesy of Subterranean Press. Also, for subscribers to MotM, we will be offering discount coupons for Subterranean Press books, and featuring guest authors, who will talk a little about the process of writing a novel during the course of the e-serial.

MASTER OF THE MOORS will begin on September 14th. Those who wish to sign up to receive this exclusive e-novel should send an e-mail to [email protected], and of course, feel free to tell your friends...

Thanks Kevin!

Kealan Patrick Burke