Old 02-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Dead as a Dodo

I remember when you rented something you actually took the original box home with you with the sleeve in it. When they stopped doing that it really annoyed me as I liked to look at the picture art and stuff.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:11 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
I remember when you rented something you actually took the original box home with you with the sleeve in it. When they stopped doing that it really annoyed me as I liked to look at the picture art and stuff
They still do that here at most places especially old titles that are off new release. I'm going to have to order in some of the more obsucre horror movies which is going to be expensive :( but I've found a very good online video store where I can get a lot of good stuff from.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by knife_fight
I don't know what I can say other than what everyone else is saying... "yes. I too miss mom n pop video stores."

where are you from Ritualistic? I'm originally from Bama
I live in Oxford AL

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Dead as a Dodo

On the same line. How much inflation has there been? In the UK it costs £3.75 to rent a new release! I remember renting movie movies for a whole pound back in the day! Probably why I don't rent so much now aswell as the choices being useless.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Scares Little Kids

Video stores

For the past ten years, Atlantic Video in South Oz has had the best range of movies on VHS in the country, Over 60,000 but recently they have sold almost all of their VHS and replaced with a meager few thousand DVD's and one whole section of the store is full of brand new for sale DVD's

It's just not the same place I used to go to weekly and spend a good hour going through the horror and sci fi section.

Sadly video rental stores are crap these days and I believe that there days are numbered.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Banned

Wow, this is a great thread!!! I wish I would have checked it out sooner. I can relate to just about everything said here. When I was a kid, me and my Mom rented from an awesome video store called Music, Movies and More. The dude who ran it was very cool. That is where I received my horror education. LOL He had EVERYTHING. I saw more Indie, cult and obscure films in the summer of '88, than I ever have in my entire life. We didn't have a VCR, so we rented that as well. The dude had a special he would run every weekend where you could rent the VCR and 4 movies on Friday night and keep them till 5pm on Monday for $19.99. I loved the way that store smelt. He had a popcorn machine, so that was half of it. But there was something else, like an electronics smell. The smell of a VHS tape, fresh from the rewinder. Did anybody else sniff their VHS tapes after pulling them from the VCR? If you never did, you don't know what you were missing. Anyhow, I just ditched Netflix for an online DVD rental store which is far superior and creates that "Mom and Pop" video store mood when browsing it. They specialize in Indie, Foreign, Anime, Cult as well as providing all of the mainstream stuff. I assure you that Netflix is not God, Sam. LOL Everyone must check out www.greencine.com NOW!!! Not only do they rent movies, they also provide members with discussion forums and all kinds of other neat features that Netflix doesn't even come close to providing. Trust me, it rules all.

Last edited by SFF; 03-28-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Scares Little Kids

Mom-and-Pop Video

Quote:
Originally posted by SFF
The dude had a special he would run every weekend where you could rent the VCR and 4 movies on Friday night and keep them till 5pm on Monday for $19.99.
I don't remember the place I used to go to rent my horror movies before Blockbuster, but there was a deal sort of like that. 4-5-6. 4 movies, for 5 nights, for 6 dollars. And their new releases didn't stay too new for long. In fact, that's exactly HOW I got to see all the Friday the 13ths, Halloweens, Nightmare on Elm Streets, Children of the Corns, and all those series before I started buying VHS.

For me, working in a video store almost all my life was a dream come true. My boss was a friend of my parents, and I was an only child. At first, yeah we rented out a lot of cult and older horror titles. Now, we don't even have the classic Universal monster movies anymore. My boss sold them all. The only reason I rent from Blockbuster is because they keep mailing me TONS of free rental coupons. In fact, everytime I use 1- I get like 2.5 in return, statistically about that much.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Living Dead

Before, when I lived closer to civilization and not here out in the sticks, I used to go to this old video place that just sold movies. It was a warehouse of movies from all eras of all genres for $2-$15. I was about 5 or 6, but I remember that you could find everything. Now it's closed down and all the good video stores are like, 40 minutes away. And I don't have a car. No movies for moi.

The video store here where I live is not very nice at all. I can find the occasional good movies, but it's rare that I get to see the classics. I ask them about some film or another and they're like, "Oh, we ordered it, but it won't come in until Christmas." And then Christmas comes and goes and no show of said movie. No cult classics, what so ever. A store in our mall sells old Sci-Fi and horror b-movies and indie flicks, so that's nice. But they're so expensive! Like, 30 dollars!

'Cause that'd be *swell!*
Old 04-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Banned

Yeah, there used to be a really kick-ass movie rental place here called Kaleidoscope Video. They had EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING. They went out of business though. If a movie exsisted, they had it! The selection was unbelievable. Most of the movies I rented from there, can now only be found on E-Bay for 80 bucks a pop! So depressing. :mad:
Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Coolio is my hero

Send a message via AIM to KRUGERKID13 Send a message via Yahoo to KRUGERKID13
i finally came to the conclusion that used video stores rock. I went to this place called dave video over in muncie, indiana and i got so many great movies:
1.exorcist (vhs) $2.00
2.american werwolf in paris (vhs) $2.00
3.candyman(vhs) $2.00
4.halloween extended edition (dvd) $8.00
5.hills have eyes part 2 (dvd) 8.00
6.Return of the living dead (dvd) brand new 7.00
7.frightners (vhs) 4.00
8.wolf (vhs) 4.00
9.'salem's lot (vhs)2.00
10.wickerman (vhs) 4.00
11. cats eye (vhs) 4.00