Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Cop Warns Parents, "MySpace Is Dangerous For Children"

Cop Thinks Some Kids Are 'Screening' For Help

Lisbon, Ohio - Parents need to be on their toes and keep their eyes on what children are viewing on the Internet.

Salem Township Constable Dan Valentine issued a warning to parents in the county: Be familiar with what children are looking at on the Internet and limit what they are doing.

He said that a Web site called myspace.com was brought to his attention by some parents. After investigating myspace.com and a few others, he agrees this site and others are nothing but dangerous for children.

"Web sites themselves are not dangerous, but non-supervised ones, where children can post whatever they want, present serious and dangerous issues for kids," Valentine said in a press release.

Myspace.com is a popular site for children to post online Web pages. There are no regulations or requirements for people wanting to post information so young people post what they want. Unfortunately, some of this includes personal information, family information and pictures. There are no parental controls for the Web site.

"While kids might think they are talking or sharing with the same-age peers, there is no guarantee of this," Valentine said.

Valentine said that myspace.com has become a fertile area for pedophiles and unscrupulous adults to troll for victims, children and information on how to reach them.

He added that myspace.com has surpassed Google as the top site to be visited on the Internet.

Myspace.com will allow any visitor to search for men or women within a certain mile radius of a zip code.

He added that when he talked with parents of some youngsters who had been fighting, and it was discovered that the argument was over talking on the Internet, many of the parents didn't even know their children had been visiting the site.

"Parents need to know about this and beware," Valentine said.

Valentine said Internet safety needs to be followed by parents in order to keep children safe.

"If a kid minimizes the screen when you walk in the room, it's a red flag that they are looking at something they don't want you to know about," Valentine said.

He added that parents should know who is on the buddy list for the children, and they should examine the Internet history often to see what children are viewing.

Valentine said that he recommends minimizing the time spent on the computer.

"Control how much time they spend on the computer. If children are spending all day in school with friends, then they shouldn't need to come home and talk for hours with friends on the Internet," Valentine said.

He added that some schools were not aware that sites like myspace.com were being visited so frequently by students, but when administrators were notified, the software to block sites was made to include myspace.com and a few other sites.

Some other sites to be aware of include alldumb.com, xanga.com, rotten.com and facebook.com.

Parents are reminded to beware when opening some of these Web pages because some of them are graphic.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 PM
It's Daddy,you shithead!

Re: Cop Warns Parents, "MySpace Is Dangerous For Children"

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne

If children are spending all day in school with friends, then they shouldn't need to come home and talk for hours with friends on the Internet," Valentine said.
yeah what can of kid spends time talking with friends?it's all that goddamn devil music these youngsters are listining to!

does'nt this sound familiar?:rolleyes:

Budduskey:i am the motherfucking shore patrol,motherfucker!i am the motherfucking shore patrol!give this man a beer.

"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman.
"Get stuffed!" replied the Harlequin, sneering.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
yes, because if there was ever a friendly, pro-socializing environment, it's school

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Dead Whore

wtf is this shit? seriously, this guy has too much freetime on his hands. Now if he had said that myspace was gay, i'd have shrugged and probally agreed. But dangerous? nah. It isn't any more dangerous than any other form of contact on the net. If the kids want to talk to their friends on myspace instead of a phone, so be it. This fucktard is simply picking the first target he sees, and it happens to be myspace because of it's popularity.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM
GRAVE DANCER

For some reason I absolutly hate anything as popular as this.
I feel its kinda immature to do something absolutly everyone else is doing. Kinda dumb but Myspace pisses me off so bad. Fuckin Gay Myspace.
Like the others from the past
The naked belly, full of cysts
Smells so good, I cant resist
I know inside this ones the best
As I eat the rotting chest
Old 01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally posted by RavageRitual
For some reason I absolutly hate anything as popular as this.
I feel its kinda immature to do something absolutly everyone else is doing. Kinda dumb but Myspace pisses me off so bad. Fuckin Gay Myspace.
but you are willing to use "gay" as a derogatory word - just like every other ignorant homophobic person . . . hmm - i expect better from a state college resident

promote the peace my brother
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Dead Whore

Funny enough, I have no problem with gay or lesbian people. It's their life, they can live it how they choose. I still find myself calling shit gay from time to time. It's been imbedded in my brain. *beats head against the wall of his lil office cubicle*
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Evil Dead

That is some of the dumbest bullshit I've seen in awhile. If the kids are giving out info, apparently their parents never taught them not too.:mad: It's not myspace's fault nor the kids.

I give out info depending on how long I've known the person and all. But usually not an address or any of that kind of stuff.

By the way, I have a Myspace, 2 Xanga's, a VampireFreaks, GothicMatch(I know, but what do you expect?), A 1UP, this profile and I'm on a ton of other sites I've even forgotten about, and I've had no harm done to me. People in my opinion are a little too paranoid and are trying to raise some kind of hell for no reason.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Image of the Invisible

Send a message via AIM to ItsAlive75
That cop should stop wasting his time with the internet and start beating some gays and minorities.

DEVESTED- The removal of one's vest.

SCTUPP- To deficate on a woman after nonconsensual sex.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
What an idiot. Next thing we know he'll be saying Horror forums are dangerous:p