Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Evil Dead

Hatchet

So what did you all think of this movie?? I expected more of a darker movie than a tongue in cheek kinda movie...I mean I liked it and all, but the way it was advertised and talked about, I anticipated a more slasher eviler film...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
People Hate Me

Pretty good, not great. Worth watching if you havnt seen it. Not worth getting to excited about.

MONSTER MONSTER 13 OH YEAH
Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywikkid View Post
I expected more of a darker movie than a tongue in cheek kinda movie...
I expected a darker flick too. There were some great kill scenes but the characters were just annoying. It was hyped to be old school but it was just another Eli Roth style modern horror flick to me. Planet Terror was a lot cooler in executing the old school feel. Kinda dissapointed with Hatchet but it was still worth a watch especially for the fantastic effects. I guess I was just expecting something different.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I expected a darker flick too. There were some great kill scenes but the characters were just annoying. It was hyped to be old school but it was just another Eli Roth style modern horror flick to me. Planet Terror was a lot cooler in executing the old school feel. Kinda dissapointed with Hatchet but it was still worth a watch especially for the fantastic effects. I guess I was just expecting something different.

Exactly...And I agree their were some cool kill scenes and the effects were great..Didnt really fit the advertisement though..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
I really liked it. I wasn't expecting anything different (but I had been following it through numerous magazine/internet articles before I actually got round to seeing it). Right off the bat the movie lets you know what kind of movie it's going to be. The first 15 mins or so there are two amazing deaths and boobs galore, so proceeding from that, the audience should have known what to expect.

I don't think it was done "tongue-in-cheek" per se, it was just done like an 80's "bad" slasher flick (i.e. not scary at all to most people, ultra violent, lots of gratuitous nudity). I think the phrase "tongue in cheek" makes people think that Hatchet is somehow making fun of previous movies like that, which it is not.

I think it was just that a guy was like, "hey, no one makes those good ol fun 80s slashers anymore, so I'm gonna make one. except I'm gonna take the things I like about those movies, blood and tits, and exaggerate them... because that's what I like and I think there are other people out there like me."

Grindhouse definitely achieved the "old school" feel more effectively, but that's b/c they were trying to genuinely recreate those 42nd Street exploitation flicks. I think Hatchet was going more for a 80s-slasher-but-updated feel, rather than trying to straight up replicate the feel of the 80s movies that inspired it. Plus, Grindhouse had a badass budget where they could do all the tricks they needed to, to achieve their desired effect (the scratchy looking film stock, while a product of no-budget back in the day, actually costs a lot to imitate nowadays. kinda like how it costs more now to press a vinyl record than to burn a cd).

Hatchet is a cartoon. it's Yosemite Sam charging into a cannon and then getting shot out of it. it's just pure fun, which is what it was meant to be (imo).

so, in a nutshell, I loved it, but I wasn't expected the second coming of Halloween or anything.

(p.s. good to see ya round here E.C.) :)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Walking Meatloaf

I thought the movie wasn't that bad. before i seen it, i was excited about seening it. but also before i seen it. I didn't know that (Mercedes McNab) star's in it. i was totally surprised when i looked at the back of the case to see who was in it. The last things i seen her in last which was.. Buffy and Angel. Then now seen her guest star in Supernatural of season 3. the episode with her in it is called (Fresh Blood) she plays a vampire name Lucy. she's a cutie and a very talented actress. a few other stars star in hatchet as well. Which are male actors. and they are,,, Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, and Tony Todd. this movie is pretty gory fun. for those who like blood fest slasher flicks. But if there is ever a sequel made. I hope it makes it's best as the original.

"Hail to the King Baby. Ash, Army of Darkness"
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 PM
a bloody mess

I love it when a slasher movie can poke fun at itself. While I agree that it was marketed as a darker flick, I was pleased that it went the tongue and cheek route. I think as a horror comedy it succeeded b/c of the good writing and acting - I'm glad the director went out and spent some money on decent comedic actors. The only thing I was disappointed w/ was that towards the end it the movie tried to turn the corner as a darker horror movie, but I was still laughing at Deon's line: "That sounds about as fun as a bag of dicks!" Even though Louie C.K. said it first it's still a great phrase.

1) Candyman
2) American Werewolf In London
3) Evil Dead 2
4) Hellraiser
5) Night Of The Living Dead
6) Jaws
7) Ginger Snaps 2
8) Dead Alive
9) Halloween
10) The Omen

t-pot
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Eye Catching

Ok! Have I been living in a bubble. I know I have been unable to attend the cinema recently due to no money but did this film come to the cinema in the UK?
When it was first talked about on the forum I was real excited about seeing it, but then kinda forgot about it, only to see it for sale recently. I thought I might have noticed if it was in the cinema here but I never did.
Will buy it when money situation picks up, but just wondering did it come to UK cinemas?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Evil Dead

Very tongue in cheek and some extremely sloppy acting but i did enjoy it,i know i shouldnt but i did.
Hated Tony Todd`s cameo though,he was dreadful.:mad:
Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
One of my favorite slashers. It was just... fun. Great fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real