Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2021, 04:37 PM
That fucking Guy...

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Damn, another comeback.

I have to say, I am quite enjoying this period of some of the older titles are being mined/worked on to give us remade and new content for todays, and yesterdays gamers.

Look, it's been a pretty mixed bad though...with greatness like what they've done with the Wonder Boy/MonsterBoy series getting 4 new titles of late, to bullshit like "Double Dragon Neon" from a few years back...

The last 5 years has given us a lot of the platforms of yesteryear, arcade to console, back to home PC and console again...
We've got the stellar Spyro & Crash/CTR remakes
River City Girls
Streets of Rage 4
Medevil
Castle of Illusion
The Lion King/Aladdin
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends.
Not to mention Nintendo's slew of comeback/neo oldschool titles and collections.
Respect there.
By and large, the majority of these titles have been pretty damn fun to visit/revisit, and for me at least, great to get my kid into some games with less complex controls.

Side note:
You know what I'd really like to see re-done with new content?
Quack-Shot.
Anyone ever play that?
One of Disneys best and most well rounded platformers.

So...yeah...Ghosts & Goblins Resurrection.

Not the first "comeback" for this series, there was a decent attempt back in the PS2/xbox era to bring the series into 3D...while it wasn't quite the same, it wasn't half as bad as some 2D to 3D attempts like
"Fade to Black" (Sequel to one of my all time favourite games and still a sore spot for me)
Bubsy. Earthworm Jim etc - it stood head and shoulders above those.

Sure, the "Maximo" games which were alright, but I've always held those as kind of "spiritual" sequels that didn't quite capture the magic of the originals.
There's been a few ports and earlier remakes on handheld systems as well, never much looked into those.

The core titles though?
What 80's/90's kid didn't have their ass kicked by at least ONE of the G&G family?
A lot of fond memories though...

I never much liked the original title enough (and it was just...way too difficult for kid me) to invest much time, but I played the HELL out of Ghouls & Ghosts.
A soundtrack that's been stuck in my damn head since.
It was a difficult, unforgiving game...but one that you could learn, and master.
I'll admit, I never got to the end back in the day.

Funny, in the last few years I've found out that there was quite a different version on the SNES than what we got on the Sega Megadrive...might have to check that out on an emulator.

So, Resurrection looks to be something like a mashup of elements from the original two titles, with: Added content
Different stages.
Enemies new and old
Reworked (and I'm guessing original) soundtrack
Graphics upgrade
New and old enemies, weapons, and power moves
...and interestingly, the incorporation of a multiplayer co-op mode.

I am quite hanging out to get this...seems like it's currently only on switch which I can work with if I need to, if not I'm waiting for the PS4/PC release.
Looks good.
Here's a couple videos:

So, who's ready?
If at first you don't succeed...die, and die again.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 02-27-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 PM
Immortal horror fan

I have Quack Shot. I believe a company teased a remake but it was cancelled. I think it was the company that made the Ducktales remake. I never played the Ducktales remake. Watched some on youtube. It looked nice. But there was something off about it that made me not purchase the game. Quack Shot is a good game though. It's like Disney mixed with Indiana Jones.

I have Maximo but don't like it that much. It was too easy. Passed on the sequel. I was going to get the PSP Ghosts n Goblins but checked a few videos and it didn't seem like the game for me. And the Japanese version which was the complete or final version never made it to the States. My favorites in the series are probably Ghouls n Ghosts on Genesis and the Super version on SNES. I finished both of those. I also have a Capcom collection with arranged tracks of some of the tunes. Those games are more balanced compared to the NES game.

I agree that the NES original was way too difficult. I don't think many kids noticed the patterns and some of those games were still way to cheap with the kills. If the game wanted those flying demons to kill you, you were getting killed. I can't remember if I finished that game. I remember being disgusted about having to play the levels twice. The idea of struggling to get to the final boss. Finally beating that guard and the game telling you that you have to go back to the beginning was one of the cheapest things ever. Thinking about it still makes me angry. And I think you needed the shield weapon for the final boss the second time around. Plus the shield was extremely difficult to use against those flying demons. Not as effective as the knife.

I decided not to get Resurrection because it does look like a best of the Genesis and SNES games. Plus a bit too cartoonish. Even though the games have humor with Arthur losing his armor and running around in his underwear. It shouldn't lose the dark horror nature of fighting these hell creatures. Which is something I feel in the videos I've seen of the game.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 03-02-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:39 PM
Immortal horror fan

I forgot to add that I think I have a pre-order figure from Maximo. And possibly the underwear from another pre-order I think. I wanted to get these figures but I saw some bad reviews about the quality and the cape on the golden armor version. Maybe another company will try with the new game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arthur 1.jpg (17.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg arthur 2.jpg (18.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 PM
Immortal horror fan

Worth a watch. I would probably have the same opinion if I played it seeing as he likes the Genesis and SNES games.