Old 12-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Undead

Dave's "bad movie reviews"

Dave,
I really hate to call you out on this but I was just looking at your "review" on the TCM remake. When a filmmaker says 'Inspired' by a true story it could be anything....like the Donner Party story inspired someone to write a script about a group of bikers who go on a killing spree.

"Inspired by" ? I think you mean "Based on".
Old 12-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Captain Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
No, I meant inspired by. The reason I attacked that part so much is because they use it so loosely. From everything I read about the movie before hand, and the reports on the press releases that New Line put out, they were refering to the Gein case when they said inspired by, but they screwed up 3 major things when they did the movie (the original as well):

-didn't happen in Texas
-he didn't use a chainsaw
-he killed two people and just robbed a bunch of graves, hardly a massacre

Now, that is from the reports I have read about the Gein case itself. However, when they say inspired by and use small details from what they claim inspires their movie, no matter what the movie is, they should use more than what they used in this. I could say that the movie was inspired by a Hawaiian Island because it has people in (or on I mean) it who have heard of Texas and know what murder is. I'm still right by saying it was inspired by, but it leads you to believe that this is how the story went, which is what leads people to believe the story is true. That's my problem with that kind of advertising, just the fact that they try to push that it actually happened. However, they didn't go any where near as bad as the Blair Witch did. I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about how it actually happened. That's slightly...f'd up.

Based on usually tells the full story exactly how it happened while inspired doesn't, but in this type of marketing they are leading you to believe it is based on a true story, especially with their press kit full of crime photos, tissue samples, and the rest of their stuff.

Last edited by Dave; 12-13-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Saint of Killers

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
No, I meant inspired by. The reason I attacked that part so much is because they use it so loosely. From everything I read about the movie before hand, and the reports on the press releases that New Line put out, they were refering to the Gein case when they said inspired by, but they screwed up 3 major things when they did the movie (the original as well):

-didn't happen in Texas
-he didn't use a chainsaw
-he killed two people and just robbed a bunch of graves, hardly a massacre

Now, that is from the reports I have read about the Gein case itself. However, when they say inspired by and use small details from what they claim inspires their movie, no matter what the movie is, they should use more than what they used in this. I could say that the movie was inspired by a Hawaiian Island because it has people in (or on I mean) it who have heard of Texas and know what murder is. I'm still right by saying it was inspired by, but it leads you to believe that this is how the story went, which is what leads people to believe the story is true. That's my problem with that kind of advertising, just the fact that they try to push that it actually happened. However, they didn't go any where near as bad as the Blair Witch did. I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about how it actually happened. That's slightly...f'd up.

Based on usually tells the full story exactly how it happened while inspired doesn't, but in this type of marketing they are leading you to believe it is based on a true story, especially with their press kit full of crime photos, tissue samples, and the rest of their stuff.
Very Articulate Dave I agree I amof the opinion that this is what made the movie what it is today the original i mean.

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead.

I've never been nice my whole life....but, I'll do my best to be sweet.

I keep my standards low, so I'm never disappointed.

The next words out of your mouth better be some Mark Twain shit, cos' I am going to be chiseling it on your tombstone.

Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead.

Forgive your enemies......after they are slain.

The God I believe in aint short of cash mister.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
Very Articulate Dave I agree I amof the opinion that this is what made the movie what it is today the original i mean.
Thanks. I think New Line went a bit further though, but I wasn't exactly..well...alive yet, to see the previews and commercials for the original. I own the original but I don't remember if they said that it was a true story or what not, but I know that people left the theater believing it was. But than again, most marketing is full of crap and do things just to make you go see what they are putting out, even if it missleads you.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Evil Bitch From HELL

I agree with you Dave ...I noticed even here on the forum alot of discussion if it was a true story or not....I do believe this was after they watched the remake.....I LOVED THE ORIGINAL:D
Old 12-14-2003, 03:55 AM
Post-Moderation

Quote:
. I think New Line went a bit further though, but I wasn't exactly..well...alive yet, to see the previews and commercials for the original. I own the original but I don't remember if they said that it was a true story or what not, but I know that people left the theater believing it was. But than again, most marketing is full of crap and do things just to make you go see what they are putting out, even if it missleads
i agree with just about every word of that. Dave your cool.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Undead

No offense, but that is the biggest bunch of horseshit I have read on here. You mean to tell me that there are some people on here who feel that TCM was real???? I am laughing my ass off. At the beginning of TCM there is a screen scroll that claims in 1973 this story happened.....guess what ....the movie was made in 73.

I still stand behind what I said before. "Inspired by" means that someone heard a story and decided to use one or one-thousand of the parts. This is not up for debate. It is a fact....plain and simple. I don't mean to be rude here, but what you're saying is asinine.

Plus you cannot , I repeat, CANNOT say that "they missed" anything. Tobe Hooper heard the story of Ed Gein from some of his relatives that lived near the city in Wisconsin where Gein lived. That story "inspired" him to write TCM. That is why it is "Inspired by".

I guess to you War of the Worlds was probably a terrible idea also. Your argument is not about wether or not the movie was good but that you feel you were mislead about it's trueness.
Way to go! You just proved reviews are not worth shit. Go see it for yourself.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by Keyser_Soze
No offense, but that is the biggest bunch of horseshit I have read on here. You mean to tell me that there are some people on here who feel that TCM was real???? I am laughing my ass off. At the beginning of TCM there is a screen scroll that claims in 1973 this story happened.....guess what ....the movie was made in 73.

I still stand behind what I said before. "Inspired by" means that someone heard a story and decided to use one or one-thousand of the parts. This is not up for debate. It is a fact....plain and simple. I don't mean to be rude here, but what you're saying is asinine.

Plus you cannot , I repeat, CANNOT say that "they missed" anything. Tobe Hooper heard the story of Ed Gein from some of his relatives that lived near the city in Wisconsin where Gein lived. That story "inspired" him to write TCM. That is why it is "Inspired by".

I guess to you War of the Worlds was probably a terrible idea also. Your argument is not about wether or not the movie was good but that you feel you were mislead about it's trueness.
Way to go! You just proved reviews are not worth shit. Go see it for yourself.

Ok, so when you actually read what I wrote than you might understand that what I said was directed at the marketers and in this case New Line Cinema. When they marketed it as "Inspired By" and put out press kits with "evidence they obtained", they are trying to make you think it actually happened. What you said about them using part or one thousandth of a part of the story is just like what I said about saying it was inspired by Hawaiians because the movie had people in it. "Aliens" was inspired by a true story, the story of Henry Ford because he made a car that had metal in it and their ship was made of metal. My point was that they stretched and bent the idea, and than tried to push it like it was true. And yes, there are people who still think the movie was true. When it came out, loads of people believed it happened and to this day still do.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1968

Go down to Grappler5

My arguement was about the marketing in that case. The rest of my review was about the problems in the movie.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:24 AM
Undead

I still think you are full of it.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Shhhh.....

Send a message via AIM to Aasiyan Send a message via Yahoo to Aasiyan
Yeah, I was surprised to find out how many people thought the movie was based on real events. It would have been scarier if it was a true story., but still good nontheless.