Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Hellraiser

Chuck Palahniuk

Just picked up a copy of Haunted .. a collection of short stories. (Was looking for a first ed Fight Club, actually). And after reading the first story bout St Gut-Free .. i was just blown away. Not only is Chuck different, but the man can put out a fresh spin that does not sound re-hashed. Havent read anything that demented since the first Books of Blood trilogy.

Chuck's still kinda low-profile around here. Any other takers on this author?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Hellraiser

Ignore the website, just read the extract
http://www.seizureandy.com/stuff/guts.html
Old 09-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Your funeral... my trial

I've read a couple of his novels, and to be honest, I don't care much for his style. I've certainly read worse, but I probably won't be buying anything else by him.

"Guts" really is pretty gross, but it doesn't compare to any of the really hardcore splatter writers, like Edward Lee, for instance.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Hellraiser

Halfway thru Haunted, the 'shock' factor has worn off a little. :confused: Being a collection of short stories, expected the story spike to go upwards and not level off. Will post my final 2-cents worth once i'm done with it.

Dont have Edward Lee books where i am .. at least havent come across his name on the shelves yet. Might have to Amazon him to start off.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I've read 4 of his books and I thought there were all excellent.He just tell the story in a very unique way.You should out his book Survivor, it's pretty trippy.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

love Survivor!

Chuck's cool as hell.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 09-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Undead

Send a message via AIM to voorhees92
i loved reading Fight Club and have yet to buy 'Choke'

Chuck's a great author indeed.

and Romero's daughter is my future wife.........DIBS!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Hellraiser

The first book or two of his you read will always be mind blowing since his take on things and his writing is just so different from others. But after that his books start to get old.

My first book by him was Invisable Monsters, I LOVED it. Then I went on to read Choke and Fight Club, both of which I loved too, then Survivor was a bit of a drag to read through, by the time I got to Haunted I was used to his stuff and not surprised by his writing anymore.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Hellraiser

Just completed Haunted (took longer coz i squeezed in King's Talisman in between). And now my final 2 cents worth.

As an author i've just started reading, his style comes across quite refreshing, very in sync with modern morbid-om, with lots of contemporary nuances. No usual ghosts or vampires or ghouls here. Just the worst of what modern civilisation can come up with.

"Guts", the lead story, tips the scale of tales here with its gross-out factor, becuase its actually posible. But the other stories sorta level out in tone, highlighting the diff faults of society's mindset, and the constant attempt of the cast to be "better" or more "accepted". The characters involved are all so flawed, they could almost be someone u know for real. Finally grinding down to a conclusion that's more on the fringe of sci-fi / fantasy than horror, a little sugar-coated for me.

The layering of stories with poems and intersected by parallel stories is quite ingeniously done tho. Chuck keeps everything short & tight and keeps the pace going well.

Verdict: definitely picking up another Chuck book, soon.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Cranky

Living in Portlandia, I've had the pleasure of hearing Chuck read several times and he really knows how to put a story over in person as well.

I haven't read everything he's written but what I have I really like.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff