Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Midnight toker

In terms of what is still banned/ how much is cut, alot of the list Newb posted is dated now. Most of the 'video nasties' that have been resubmitted have been released either uncut or cut to varying degrees... It's mostly extreme sexual violence and animal torture/ cruelty that gets cut over here, these days. I don't really know alot about the rest of the world, but I would still imagine we are pretty strict. It's only been the last 10 years or so that Evil Dead was released totally uncut, for example.

Alot of the 'credit' for our strict censorship guidelines over the years has to go to our media that will do anything to whip the country into a frenzy...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Dr. Angel Grant

Send a message via Skype™ to tallahassee1408
yeah 30 years ago people were kinda overprotective to the media.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahassee1408 View Post
those aren't even that bad. i realized that most were made in the US. since the UK hates americans i can see why
They're coming to get you tallahassee.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Evil Dead

Mary Whitehouse was a figure of hate in the Uk .Her views didnt represent those of the general Uk population.I dont think she had a hatred of the US ~ she was just a massive mentalist!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahassee1408 View Post
um..... wtf?!?!!? i have got to find this list. the british board of film censorship is probably a board of religious extremist that only does missionary and would rather watch rated G movies 24/7 365. i have nothing against religion since i believe in God, but as i say you can believe in God but don't get crazy with it.
Nothing of the sort - the 1984 VRA bill was hastily put together in response the reaction to the Media outrage at 'violent horror films'. Something had to be done to protect the children..

I always fell sorry for the poor cunt from the company who distributed (the already cut) Nightmares in a Damaged Brain in the Uk. He got 6 months for his trouble.

And the VRA was nothing compared to the bill that David Alton tryed to get in after the Venables/Chucky Media circus (and that did have Christian/religious motivations).
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws the great View Post
I really don't know why films like The Evil Dead , Visiting Hours and Night School made this list? Did the British Board of Film Censorship even watch these films? I can understand why some of these films would be considered offensive to some people, but a lot of the these movies are pretty tame!
You're absolutely right. They didn't watch a lot of the films that they banned; often they would judge them based on promotional materials or the VHS cover. This was one of the myriad criticisms brought against Whitehouse and her cronies during the Video Nasties craze, but of course they prevailed.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
You're absolutely right. They didn't watch a lot of the films that they banned; often they would judge them based on promotional materials or the VHS cover. This was one of the myriad criticisms brought against Whitehouse and her cronies during the Video Nasties craze, but of course they prevailed.
You're quite right - Whitehouse admitted many time that she wouldn't watch such filth (how ever SHe had nothing to do with the BBFC).

There is also some confusion here between the BBFC and the famous video nasty list. As far as I remember - the banning of the films had nothing to do with with British Board of Film Censors. It was the DPP who made raids, confiscated tapes and compiled the infamous list.

I agree with fortunato to some extent that they would judge them based on promotional materials or the VHS cover. (add to this title too) but this was for films that were confiscated in raids. The ones that appear on the list had to be prosecuted in turn and of course the material was watched.

The reason The Evil Dead was one the list as it was one of the big names in the newspaper headlines (the media had a huge effect on the whole shitstore) - If I recall the Rami movie went thru a long process of trials before being deemed 'obscene' and subsequently banned.

Of all the films prosecuted 'Forest of Fear' of the one I never understood.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post

Of all the films prosecuted 'Forest of Fear' of the one I never understood.
Yeah, there's not much gore or T&A in it. Most people would find it pretty boring.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 AM
From The Beyond

I recommend that people watch Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide to get the full story of what happened by the people directly involved in this fiasco.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Evil Dead

"Video Nasties"-Any UK members recollections?

My wife and I watched a documentary VIDEO NASTIES (2010) that focused on the attempts to regulate gruesome late 70's/early 80's slasher films (DRILLER KILLER, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, ZOMBIE, CANNIBAL FEROX, NIGHTMARE IN A DAMAGED BRAIN, etc) in Great Britain and Wales mostly. Lots of film clips, DAILY MAIL excerpts and footage/interviews with Mary Whitehouse, Geoffrey Robertson PC, Sir Graham Bright and Martin Barker among others.
It seemed the main objective was to prevent young children from seeing the films, but it appeared an excessive amount of energy was spent and a lot of heavy handed force (busting and jailing a video shop owner, for example) was used. While I agree a six year old should not watch some of the films listed, it seems that making the films forbidden fruit made them more enticing.
The whole thing reminded me a lot of when the PMRC started their attempt to place stickers on albums to prevent young people from listening, but probably helped those bands get more publicity. Also, both the US and UK had real ultra conservative Government at the time with both Reagan and Thatcher in office.
Do any of you remember these times? Would be interesting to hear what you have to say.

Tags
banned, controverial, exploitation, video nasty