Old 09-25-2020, 02:59 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (John Barrymore).....must say....that spider phantom demon thing at the end is scary....if I saw that thing crawl into my room along with the other creepy critters that like to make their way in and out of houses....i'd be this smiley...
I'd like to see the spider phantom... You know about what time that happens? It's on youtube.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:46 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

it's towards the end...1 hour 10 minutes about 15 seconds, on the Timeless Classic Movies account of the film.
Title: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) [Silent Movie] [Horror]

Last edited by TaeKwonZombie; 09-26-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:37 PM
ventricle

Quote:
it's towards the end...1 hour 10 minutes about 15 seconds, on the Timeless Classic Movies account of the film.
Title: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) [Silent Movie] [Horror]
That is pretty trippy! Nicely done. Have you seen Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)? The '31 version is easily the best I've seen... the inventive and fast camera motion and tricks are a real kick. None of the films, so far as I've seen them, are close enough to the original short novel (which I highly recommend reading), I hope someone make a film faithful to the novel someday.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-28-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:31 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

No not yet, I just got this dvd that has the 32 and 41 versions (classic double feature), I'm gonna watch soon

Last edited by TaeKwonZombie; 09-26-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:19 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

Just saw the 1932 version(online it's listed as 31?), wow nicely made movie, great camera work/quality of picture and proper acting....Mr hyde is a funny guy, wonder how him and the 1920 version would get along if they sat together at a bar hahah, either good buddies or a vicious fight would occur...he looks a bit more apish in this one, poor guy was trying to have a nice drink with the lady in the club...she's not too fond of his thick eyebrows haha... "what I want...I GET!" This one has more of a drama feel to it with that woman stuck in his clutches. Especially when she says she hopes he's rotting somewhere, and than to her disbelief she drops her drink as he steps into the room unexpectedly. Symbolic of being in a relationship you don't want to be in anymore.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:32 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

saw the 1941 version, not as good as the barrymore, or 32 version but not bad, I enjoyed Mr. Hyde's death scene/stunt staircase fall.
next up I am gonna see the sheldon lewis version of 1920 (why they made two silent dr. jekyll's that year i do not know)...
Old 09-28-2020, 12:53 AM
Evil Dead

SLAUGHTER OF THE VAMPIRES (1962). Decent Italian film which is stylishly shot, even if it sticks to the standard story line. Probably the most emaciated vampire I've ever seen...when He bites the lovely heroine again after coming up for air the first time, He probably needed the protein..and quick! **1/2
Old 09-28-2020, 08:28 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Just saw the 1932 version(online it's listed as 31?), wow nicely made movie, great camera work/quality of picture and proper acting....Mr hyde is a funny guy, wonder how him and the 1920 version would get along if they sat together at a bar hahah, either good buddies or a vicious fight would occur...he looks a bit more apish in this one, poor guy was trying to have a nice drink with the lady in the club...she's not too fond of his thick eyebrows haha... "what I want...I GET!" This one has more of a drama feel to it with that woman stuck in his clutches. Especially when she says she hopes he's rotting somewhere, and than to her disbelief she drops her drink as he steps into the room unexpectedly. Symbolic of being in a relationship you don't want to be in anymore.
Yes, you're right, it's 1931. Yeah, Hyde was pretty wild looking, but he could sit down in a bar and be a sugar daddy. He says some straight forward things... interesting social commentary. Good catch, I missed the symbolism of the dropping glass.

Quote:
saw the 1941 version, not as good as the barrymore, or 31 version but not bad, I enjoyed Mr. Hyde's death scene/stunt staircase fall.
next up I am gonna see the sheldon lewis version of 1920 (why they made two silent dr. jekyll's that year i do not know)...
Yes, the Spencer Tracy '41 film is not as good as the '31. It's pretty strange. I like the initial interaction between Spencer and Bergman, where he first brings her up to her apt to examine her. It's a humorous, engrossing, even romantic scene, what people expect of these two actors, cause they are good funny actors; and it's 'transition' to a non-humor, non-romantic film is very awkward. I think the character of Jekyll just doesn't quite make sense; not sure what they were trying to accomplish.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-30-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:10 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

Alright next up for me is The Thing From Another World (1951)... doesn't compare to the 1982 The Thing, but i enjoyed it. The alien humanoid reminds me of a resident evil tyrant.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

Rosemarys Baby (1968)