Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 PM
ventricle

Question from watching "Frankenstein: The True Story"

I recently watched "Frankenstein: The True Story 1973". I have a question. Near the end, the Creature (the male 'Frankenstein's monster) busts into a party and rips the head off Prima, the female 'Frankenstein's monster'. As the Creature kneels by the weeping Dr. Victor Frankenstien, the Dr. asks him why he did it. To which he replies, "Beautiful Victor. Beautiful." Anyone want to take a shot at what he meant?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Cranky

It's been decades since I've seen this film, but from what I remember of it, and the original novel, I'll attempt a theory.

The subtitle of the novel is "The Modern Promethius." Promethius was a god who created man and was then punished for giving him fire (or knowledge). Frankenstein is thus cast as a modern god who has created a man, and is subsequently punished by his own creation.

The creature sees Victor as a god; perfection, a thing of beauty. At this point in the film the creature, which started out beautiful, is quite grotesque and gruesome. He resents this, and he resents his creator for causing it, so he destroys Prima to punish Victor.

Victor asks him why, and he explains:

"Beautiful Victor. Beautiful."

By which he means: You are beautiful, perfect, a god, and I, an unholy ugly monster, hate you.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Midnight toker

Well my take on it differs a little from NE's, so here's my theory....

Prima is the embodiment of beauty and everything the creature desires. With the realisation that he can't possess her, the rage and malevolence drives him to destroy. Rage, spite, vengeance, jealousy, the animalistic human need to destroy beauty and that which we love. The creature in this moment is the embodiment of the Id acting on instinct and raw emotion and Agatha was simply too beautiful.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
ventricle

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the explanations.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, Lee. The first words of the Creature, is when he looks in the mirror and describes himself as 'beautiful'; almost giving the impression he is naming himself Beautiful; which I also embraced as him describing his creation as "good", mirroring the Biblical story of God's creation, "and He saw that is was good".

Of course the way in which the Creature says the short two lines is critical. The way I heard it was, he's calling Victor, "beautiful Victor". Then with subtle, exhausted, painful, quite resolve, he says, "Beautiful." I find the intention difficult to determine in the context of the whole scene and film. My best take is that he's saying he was beautiful, and was supposed to stay beautiful; but Victor failed keep him that way. And by beautiful, he doesn't just mean on the outside.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-20-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Banned

Is this the one with Michael Sarazin?....I think it was him....let me go Google
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Cranky

Yes, that's the one.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff