Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows

Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Zen Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieDrone View Post
Seen a couple of those.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is brilliant. A little creepy in places and with a brilliant premise. Avoid the remake, The Invasion.

Carnival Of Souls - To me this is very much akin to a more obscure Night Of The Living Dead. A similar era on a very small budget and much it has this strange thing that a lot of the films had during the final days of the B-movie, in that it seems rather uninteresting, almost campy, at first but it evolves into something quite extraordinary (Planet Of The Apes is another example of that kind of later-B Movie)

When watching the sound bugged me because it's a very quiet film and you can struggle to hear the dialogue (perhaps because the low budget didn't allow for overdubbing so the audio's all "live", as it were) but it helps build a creepy ambience. The ending is just wonderfully and disturbingly bizarre.

THX 1138 - What is this doing here!? Other than the shell dwellers I can't see how this is a creature feature. Regardless, I like it. Though a George Lucas science-fiction film, it's very different to Star Wars, it's darker, more subdued and experimental, more like 1984. It also has a good cast for a low-budget independent film as it stars Robert Duvall (who was associated with Lucas and the film's producer and Lucas's mentor Francis Ford Coppola) and Donald Pleasence.

Scars Of Dracula - I've seen it...can't say I remember much of it.
Keep in mind there was also a 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That one was actually pretty good, while not horrible I still haven't warmed up to the Nicole Kidman remake.

I agree with THX 1138, didn't even notice it on the list. Good call with the 1984 comparison. Never considered that before but you are right.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieDrone View Post
Seen a couple of those.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is brilliant. A little creepy in places and with a brilliant premise. Avoid the remake, The Invasion.

Carnival Of Souls - To me this is very much akin to a more obscure Night Of The Living Dead. A similar era on a very small budget and much it has this strange thing that a lot of the films had during the final days of the B-movie, in that it seems rather uninteresting, almost campy, at first but it evolves into something quite extraordinary (Planet Of The Apes is another example of that kind of later-B Movie)

When watching the sound bugged me because it's a very quiet film and you can struggle to hear the dialogue (perhaps because the low budget didn't allow for overdubbing so the audio's all "live", as it were) but it helps build a creepy ambience. The ending is just wonderfully and disturbingly bizarre.

THX 1138 - What is this doing here!? Other than the shell dwellers I can't see how this is a creature feature. Regardless, I like it. Though a George Lucas science-fiction film, it's very different to Star Wars, it's darker, more subdued and experimental, more like 1984. It also has a good cast for a low-budget independent film as it stars Robert Duvall (who was associated with Lucas and the film's producer and Lucas's mentor Francis Ford Coppola) and Donald Pleasence.

Scars Of Dracula - I've seen it...can't say I remember much of it.
Scars Of Dracula isn't an essential film to watch but it is one of the more violent hammer films.