Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Annabelle (2014)

Released here few days ago on our ongoing Eid Holidays. Saw it with my brother & his family at the 2nd day. The show was houseful & the crowd loved it. Now my verdict...
**Little SPOILER AHEAD**
As a spin-off of The Conjuring, it was decently made with 70s set up. There were even some effective, good jump scares BUT the first disappointment was as a 'Evil Doll flick', the doll here actually gets very little chance to produce creepy stuffs from its part. Here the more active antagonist was the evil spirit that possessed the doll and to some extent it actually bothers or cares very less about the doll & thus uses it not very often for most of the demonic activity. And then before the final climax, even the Devil himself takes the center stage for terror.
Overall, it wasn't bad but the most disappointing part was the lame ending! while may be mainly because of the 70s vibe & that apartment building, I was expecting more of a Rosemary's Baby sort of twisted finale!

>>: B
I liked it much better than I expected I would. I actually thought it was scarier than the Conjuring, but the characters and dialog were a big step down. You could tell James Wan didn't direct it. I thought almost all the scary parts were really well done. My friend sitting next to me (who's not really a horror buff) kept jumping and jabbing me with his elbow accidentally.

7.5/10

***SPOILER***
I was also expecting it to be more about the doll. I was surprised the doll never really came to life, other than essentially being carried by the demon. In the end, however, I think I'm actually glad for that. I was expecting a female Chucky, which probably would have been lame.

One minor disappointment was how the priest died. The lead-up was great, but the actual death was not very creative. Compare it to the death in The Omen -- not even close. *** SPOILER***

Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Where the Devil Hides" 5/10

If only the ending had been the beginning this would have been more than just another mediocre slasher.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Hellraiser

I am watching 'Deliver us From Evil' today!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Evil Sweat

See No Evil 2 (2014)
Shitty sequel.
Killer's new look is stupid, kills are lame or happen off screen, not enough violence/blood/gore, location's monotone and boring,...
Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Evil Dead

High Tension

"High Tension" is probably my favorite Alexandre Aja film. I just finished watching it for the second time. It was a great homage to the 80's slasher flicks, it was insanely gory fun, and it had nasty, gritty cinematography. I think the twist had enough evidence to support what I think happen (and what is generally accepted). The film definitely lives up to its title in that there is a very high amount of tension in the film. Some problems that I had were the bad dubbing and the relatively slow second act.

B+
Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 PM
ventricle

(Co-stars Kevin Sorbo, haven't seen him much since Hercules.)

God's Not Dead (2014)
6/10

Quote:
College philosophy professor Mr. Radisson's curriculum is challenged by his new student, Josh, who believes God exists. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/
Better than I anticipated. Decent interesting drama. Dialogue and acting was solid, which tends to be the achilles heel of so-called 'christian cinema' - where dialogue & acting is often stiff & plotting. Not so here. Well presented and paced film.

Like many seemingly 'subject' films, this best viewed when taken as a specific little story about a few specific people, and not allegorical of all people of this type or another type -- you'll know what I mean if you see (saw) it.

There some interesting cinematic choices made at the end, that I'm not sure works really well, or is quite consistent, but still appreciate seeing new things, interesting & philosophical subject matter.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

(Co-stars Kevin Sorbo, haven't seen him much since Hercules.)

God's Not Dead (2014)
6/10

Better than I anticipated. Decent interesting drama. Dialogue and acting was solid, which tends to be the achilles heel of so-called 'christian cinema' - where dialogue & acting is often stiff & plotting. Not so here. Well presented and paced film.

Like many seemingly 'subject' films, this best viewed when taken as a specific little story about a few specific people, and not allegorical of all people of this type or another type -- you'll know what I mean if you see (saw) it.

There some interesting cinematic choices made at the end, that I'm not sure works really well, or is quite consistent, but still appreciate seeing new things, interesting & philosophical subject matter.
Oh god, that movie was awful. It portrayed the atheist as a complete asshole and the Christian as a god, and the "trial on god" was nearly painful to watch with all the overacting and stock Christian statements like "WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?!?!??!?!?!"
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM
For Vendetta

Twisted little version of Groundhog Day, with a dash of romance and fast-paced action. Liked it quite a bit.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Oh god, that movie was awful. It portrayed the atheist as a complete asshole and the Christian as a god, and the "trial on god" was nearly painful to watch with all the overacting and stock Christian statements like "WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?!?!??!?!?!"
That's exactly what I meant when I wrote,

Quote:
Same thing with a lot of films... like Inherit the Wind (1960)... William Jennings Bryant (the prosecutor) is bizarrely portrayed as evil, & an asshole, which was hardly the case. When you view these films with every character representing a quarter of the world, or a pillar of philosophical belief, it can't be appreciated as film entertainment. Sometimes that comes with age, did for me.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-10-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post

***SPOILER***
I was also expecting it to be more about the doll. I was surprised the doll never really came to life, other than essentially being carried by the demon. In the end, however, I think I'm actually glad for that. I was expecting a female Chucky, which probably would have been lame.

One minor disappointment was how the priest died. The lead-up was great, but the actual death was not very creative. Compare it to the death in The Omen -- not even close. *** SPOILER***

I wasn't expecting a 'female Chucky' but yeah, expected to see it close to the way ANNABELLE portrayed in THE CONJURING. An evil doll playing tricks on people in an attempt to scare & kill them but not always reveal its game ON-SCREEN until the very end.

Agree with you about that particular death sequence. And it just made me realize...there wasn't actually any notable/memorable death scene in the movie.

Tags
movie