Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Epic games you weren't a fan of.

Anyone else find themselves not liking (or not seeing the huge hype) over some games that are hugely popularized? I've thought of a few...

Halo: It was a fun game. My favorite thing was always looking into the sky and seeing the other parts of Halo towering over you, and it was grand! The enemies were intelligent, that game was challenging, the graphics were more than decent, and the story was spectacular. What's the catch? You get to live out each and every storyline about 200 times. So much, in fact, that you forget why you're running through a maze of doors killing the same enemies over and over for the last half of the game, which is completely absurd for such a modern game. The library was repetitive, but at least it had some variations (albeit, not much). But the snow levels? 2 hours of "go through door, run around corridor, go through door, etc. Suffice to say, the hype for Halo was a bit much.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: I always get chewed out for not being a huge fan. I still LIKE the game, and it really was epic at the time. I'm sure i'll play through it again as well. The problem is, it's really easy, and way too linear. Hyrule is HUGE in Oot, but you basically have to explore it to the story lines demands. Don't get me wrong, every game is at least somewhat linear, but Zelda is supposed to be about exploration, and the way Oot's maps are set up really doesn't allow for much exploring. Majora's Mask was far better (and far darker) than Oot, but it is constantly shut out by the dislike of the "timed game" issue, which really doesn't change much of gameplay, unless you're ridiculously slow. Wind Waker also tops Oot (imo), simply because of the originality, the great new graphics, and the incredible fighting system. I can't compare WW to Oot though, since WW is in my top 5 games, highly due to the ocean aspect.

Anyone else have any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Pretty much just the two you named.

I mean Halo is alright and all but I dont see what the big obsession is with it.It's not that best game in the world.

And Zelda well I just never could get into it.

If I think of any more I'll post them as well.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
That fucking Guy...

Totally Halo - True I played it a year and a bit late, but it just wasn't the standout game everyone was saying. "Revolutionary shooter" my ass, I thought it was generic as all fuck.

Max Payne 2 - Felt like an expansion pack without half as good a storyline.

Another sequel - HalfLife 2, and all the expansions...just IMO (sure it looked good but) like Halo, just didn't really do it for me and evoked none of the feelings the first one did. I have hope for the franchise but they need to do better next time.

A game I had near epic expectations for was "Jericho", and it just fell flat on its ass. Some interesting ideas, but yeah...whatever.

Donkey Kong Country series. Everyone with a SNES went on and on and on and on and on about how good this was. It was a bit of fun. It was nice and pseudo-3d, but other than, it was just like any other nintendo platformer.

Doom 3.
No need for comment.

The punisher - Actually trying to make my way through it now...its just one I saw mentioned a lot when it was "new". It's just like Max Payne with torture thrown in to make it more interesting. Thus far, every single enemy has almost exactly the same shitty AI, and I think it's quite boring.
And AS IF the punisher shouldn't be an FPS.

There's more, for sure.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Totally Halo - True I played it a year and a bit late, but it just wasn't the standout game everyone was saying. "Revolutionary shooter" my ass, I thought it was generic as all fuck.

Max Payne 2 - Felt like an expansion pack without half as good a storyline.

Another sequel - HalfLife 2, and all the expansions...just IMO (sure it looked good but) like Halo, just didn't really do it for me and evoked none of the feelings the first one did. I have hope for the franchise but they need to do better next time.

A game I had near epic expectations for was "Jericho", and it just fell flat on its ass. Some interesting ideas, but yeah...whatever.

Donkey Kong Country series. Everyone with a SNES went on and on and on and on and on about how good this was. It was a bit of fun. It was nice and pseudo-3d, but other than, it was just like any other nintendo platformer.

Doom 3.
No need for comment.

The punisher - Actually trying to make my way through it now...its just one I saw mentioned a lot when it was "new". It's just like Max Payne with torture thrown in to make it more interesting. Thus far, every single enemy has almost exactly the same shitty AI, and I think it's quite boring.
And AS IF the punisher shouldn't be an FPS.

There's more, for sure.
I think Half Life 2 is great! I don't have any desire to play it again, but when I first played through it, wow! I gotta disagree on DKC. I've always adored the SNES DK games.

Also, Jericho... WTF. That was a disaster. Worst 10 bucks ever spent.

Quote:
oh posher, I love you.

None of this is real
Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Another one I dont get the obsession with is WoW.I downloaded a free 10 day trail of this game and played it for about 10 minutes.Longest and boring 10 minutes of my life.All that game is is run over here and kill this now run over here and do the exact same thing.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM
HDC Idol

Fable II!!!!!!!

I seriously don't understand the huge hype around this one. I found it too linear (in this day and age, I feel that if you're going to have an "RPG," you should be able to wander around the world, free roam, and kill things, diverging from the main quest, but Fable II didn't allow a lot of that). The line between "evil" and "good" was a little silly (there's one quest where if you don't marry someone you get "evil" points and if you DO marry that person you get "good points), which leads me to the next point... HUMAN INTERACTION. They way you interact with people is by dancing, farting, blowing raspberries until they like or hate you. And when you're married, there isn't much of a difference. If you're liked, people follow you around, even into your own home.

I feel as though this game TRIED to do a lot, but failed on all accounts. It tries to create a midieval world of quests. Diablo II did that better years ago. It tries to create a simulated human interaction and marriage/family mode. Sims did that better YEARS ago. And it tries to create the "good" vs. "evil" paths. Oblivion did that better years ago.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT.

Also - The graphics really weren't up to par with modern 360 games.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Soundtrack to Rambo

not much of a fan of halo, but i play it sometimes with my brother.

thought ufc was gonna be fun, but that got boring real quick.

never got into sonic the hedgehog.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Misfit

I liked Sonic (for Genesis) but you're right, it really wasn't all that spectacular. Although corny, I have to admit that the "Sonic Adventure 2: Battle" game for Gamecube was a RIOT in the right mood.

Quote:
oh posher, I love you.

None of this is real
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
For Vendetta

All the NFS games.
I cannot see what NFS fans rave about so much...all of them are repetitive as hell. Even the newest one, Undercover, which has the boasting tagline "over 100 miles of road, the largest NFS, blah, blah, blah"...round and round we go...same traffic, same police...meh.

Unreal Tournament(s) and Quake III: Arena. I know both of them have revolutionary gaming engines and whatnots, but sorry they didnt interest me at all. If you are a fan of them, too bad.

And dont even get me started on the strategy games...Command & Conquer? Grrr...
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Misfit

Unreal Tournament... I was scary good at it. Never understood why. I played it once at a friend's house and never died. Always had highest fragger, everyone thought I was hacking. That killed interest right there...

Quote:
oh posher, I love you.

None of this is real