Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Haunted
Here's a no brainer: Don't post in the New Members forum.

Two years ago, when I joined HDC, I took one look at the New Members forum and simply jumped in the General. No one noticed, and here I am.

I regret not doing this myself...if only I had taken the time to see how other noobs were treated, I could've saved myself from the bashing...flaming...torture...etc...;)

But yeah...like ShankS said...it's all in good fun. Eventually, you'll come to appreciate this section for a right old laugh...you'll also appreciate that you're not the victim anymore:D
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Image of the Invisible

Send a message via AIM to ItsAlive75
Quote:
Originally posted by Haunted

Two years ago, when I joined HDC, I took one look at the New Members forum and simply jumped in the General. No one noticed, and here I am.
I never made a n00b post either, I just started saying shit in the general forum...

And look at me now! I'm like, the most respected guy ever!

DEVESTED- The removal of one's vest.

SCTUPP- To deficate on a woman after nonconsensual sex.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:00 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
While I get your joke (and got it originally but was just yanking your chain) - I do think SHanks and Zwoti make my point - generally the attitude around here is that until you've posted over 3000 - your a pathetic noob and don't count and are worthy only to be objects of ridicule. I get most of the humor (even the british since I lived in the UK for a number of years - so you can spell it humour if you'd like) but do find the attitude a curious one at times.

The only point I'm making is that in this "new member's lounge" some poor slob posts "hey I'm new" and then the attitude pops out.

But, anyway, I'm done with this conversation.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

I miss noob abuse.:(
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
While I get your joke (and got it originally but was just yanking your chain) - I do think SHanks and Zwoti make my point - generally the attitude around here is that until you've posted over 3000 - your a pathetic noob and don't count and are worthy only to be objects of ridicule. I get most of the humor (even the british since I lived in the UK for a number of years - so you can spell it humour if you'd like) but do find the attitude a curious one at times.

The only point I'm making is that in this "new member's lounge" some poor slob posts "hey I'm new" and then the attitude pops out.

But, anyway, I'm done with this conversation.
Bravo Zero!! I'm glad there are a few adults here. This pattern seems to have stopped now, thankfully.

Alright Sistinas, and anyone that's been here for some time, I would love to hear a history of HDC, in particular the mass cleanup that became necessary a couple of years back. With all the complaining about new members never sticking around and traffic being lighter than it was back in the "good old days", I'm curious to hear what happened back then and possibly steps that can be taken to improve things now.

P.S. And I can't help but notice two MODERATORS participating in this childish practice.

Last edited by TheWickerFan; 01-31-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Banned

Noob bashing was fun. It was simple-a new member makes a introductory thread and was greeted with a flurry of creative "fuck you"'s. After that they were treated like any one else here.

As far as "mass cleanups", the only one that springs to mind is Kpro's drunken spree.:rolleyes:

As far as making a difference? Not much you can do IMO. Online forums are like wearing a beeper in this day and age. Online forums are a dinosaur.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Whip In My Valise

I just wondered how many people were greeted this way and just decided not to return. It just seems very juvenile.

I expect you're right about forums being archaic. I have no intention of joining Facebook, so I'll stick around here as long as it's up.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Evil Dead

I remember when I first joined there was a lot more traffic and a lot more agro. It really sucked the fun out of posting sometimes and the 'hazing' wasn't just restricted to the noob threads. There was definitely a culture of antagonism although, it didn't deter me and probably didn't deter too many others.

Shortly before I disappeared for a couple of years (due to a WoW addiction) there was the OMC Dave willy flashing scandal which resulted in some expulsions and a revising of attitudes. But the board is definitely much improved and a great resource for sharing knowledge.
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistinas666 View Post

As far as "mass cleanups", the only one that springs to mind is Kpro's drunken spree.:rolleyes:
At the beginning of this post, __V__ mentions this 'cleanup' that apparently destroyed the traffic flow.http://www.horror.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=74
Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Heaven for the climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAlive75 View Post
It's an initiation of sorts. You gotta take shit before you can deal it out.

....I don't think I've ever gotten shit....