Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Leprucky Cougar
Post Any Shows help deter crime?

Hey everyone. I was looking through the true crime section, and it had me think about whether or not there were any shows that whether directly or indirectly help deter crime. It seems that "reality-tv" shows have tried to create spin-offs for almost everything now: singing/dancing competitions, cooks, comedians, etc; then there are the relationship ones like "The Bachelor," or "For love or Money," "Beauty and the Geek," and so on. But are there any for crime?

One I can think of is America's Most Wanted, hosted by John Walsh. A few years following the murder of his son (in 1981), this show (which airs 9/8 central on Saturday nights, and debuted 2/7/'88) reports and has dramtizations of crimes of all acts in hopes that viewers nationwide (and worldwide I assume-since some criminals flee the country or may be a citizen to another country when they commit one in America) can provide information to capture them and bring justices to the victims. It profiles fugitives and works with law-enforcement officials. It oriiginally profiled crimes such as murder, rape, armed robbery, ganged violence. Then in 1991 it began doing missing persons (especially kids) and child molestation. October 2001, it began to profile War on terrorism fugitives- as posted the "Most Wanted Al Quieda operatives." In 1996, AMW and COPS were featured back-to-back to make it more stable after a month and a half cancellation due to the Fox network's wishes of airing 2 sitcom-comedies (Martin and Married with Children) during AMW's time slot.

I guess similar shows could be "Unsolved Mysteries" (which I believed aired on CBS), the british show "Crimewatch" (1984). Does anyone know of anything similar to this?; I'm curious to know what other tactics are used as people unite to bring justice to victims and their loved ones.

Don't run away from me;
I'm Sorry if I was a little too brash.
Now hand over me Shilling;
Or I'll kill your Ass ! :D
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Here's one...it lead into one hell of a moral debate, but I think it fits what you're looking for:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10912603/
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Leprucky Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Here's one...it lead into one hell of a moral debate, but I think it fits what you're looking for:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10912603/
Yeah, things like that. I think we need more shows like this. And in regards to the moral debate, the debates in many respects not just stimulate our minds and growth--but help us find better and more effective ways to get the bad guys. :) Thanks for the post.

Don't run away from me;
I'm Sorry if I was a little too brash.
Now hand over me Shilling;
Or I'll kill your Ass ! :D