Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Evil Dead

I love horror and all the strange and horrible things that are part of the genre but i am also a realist and know that all things supernatural are pure clap trap.

There are no such things as ghosts,nor fortune tellers or physics the same for tarot and palm reading or its many forms.

There are also no such things as Aliens visiting Earth or the Loch Ness Monster,Bigfoot or Sasquatch and the Yeti.Crop circles have been proven to be fake,i could go on and on.

The year is 2014 not 1614.Wake up people and get a grip on reality,stop living in a fantasy world.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:38 AM
Evil Dead

I think people made up all that stuff to explain things that they couldn't answer at the time that we can pretty easily explain now.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 AM
Evil Dead

Wait.....It's Not 1614!??!!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:29 AM
Evil Dead

Wait.....It's Not 1614?!!?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 AM
It's a-liiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
You must have looked into the various theories of where the info comes from. (I used to read about it in books, & grill people in the know, but now of course there's the internet, including parapsychical research.) Where do you feel you were getting the info? And what theories do you think are most likely?
I think a bunch of the accuracy of what I said was due to suggestion. The same thing that makes daily horoscope predictions always seem to apply. You could pick a random horoscope, give it to a believer, and they would find a way to make it seem to apply directly to them.

Going along with that, I was surely picking up clues from their reactions to the readings as they progressed. So it was a feedback loop. And the increasing effortlessness of the readings for me was surely due a bunch to developing skills and fluency with the form.

But that might just have been part of what was going on. There might well have been some ESP-ish stuff in the mix. Where does intuition end and ESP begin?

What do you think makes good readers (card, palm, ball) so accurate?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Fear the Goathammer

Even if I like stories about ghosts, demons and so on, I don't believe in any of this stuff. It is a great topic for fiction but here we are at the core, it's fiction. Not more. I am a realist...having a girlfriend who prays to nordic gods, reading tarot cards and talking about magnetism and sprits though...well other topic :D

But before I moved together with my girlfriend, I had for many months a very strange experience in my old room, when I still lived together with my mother.

The thing was, nights, when I was sitting in my room at the pc, I heard almost every night voices...very silent, no understandable words, coming from another language (I think it sounded something like russian), it was like if I was listening to a conversation of two people, mostly a man and a woman.
But if it would not be enough, there was even very often jazz music on top of it, with sometimes a woman singing....and I am not shitting here guys, it's really true.
And just one time, one single time, I heard a voice completely different, take Satan from the movie Legend, it sounded like that.

And that shit was almost every night, but so silent, that you could only hear it when you don't make any noise, and always just for some seconds, sometimes more often the night, sometimes just once.

So, as a realist, there were four possibilities to explain this situation in a logical way. a) It was the neighbours; b) my PC had a virus; and c) (and I really believed that) I was sick in my mind

But every explanation failed:
a) I am not stupid. Hearing the voices, day for day for many months, I could easily know if it's coming from my neighbour, or if the voices were in my room. And believe me, even if the voices were very silent, the source was 100% in my room. Like if it came out of my desk that I was sitting infront of.
b) this would be the most plausible explanation. Problem is, the voices still existed, even with my boxes plugged out.
c) So I really was thinking I was going mad or something, as I could not show anybody these voices as they lasted only for a few seconds...but one day I managed to get my mother in my room in time, and she heard the voices too. So no, I am not sick in my mind.

So, three failed explanations. As I said, I am a realist, but I ran out of logical explanations for that. Anyone any comments?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachMiel View Post
I think a bunch of the accuracy of what I said was due to suggestion. The same thing that makes daily horoscope predictions always seem to apply. You could pick a random horoscope, give it to a believer, and they would find a way to make it seem to apply directly to them.

Going along with that, I was surely picking up clues from their reactions to the readings as they progressed. So it was a feedback loop. And the increasing effortlessness of the readings for me was surely due a bunch to developing skills and fluency with the form.

But that might just have been part of what was going on. There might well have been some ESP-ish stuff in the mix. Where does intuition end and ESP begin?

Well, rachMiel, that's why I was asking you. You were the one who said,

Quote:
But then the stories began to create themselves (or so it felt). It wasn't as if I were reaching for a connection between the cards and the person being read, it was like the person's story (or answer to their question) became clear to me, like I was merely reporting, not creating.
"Merely reporting, not creating". I don't know what info you gave compared to what info the readee/client gave. You'd know if you got a clue from the readee or not. I know when someone's read my mind, or grabbed from source beyond logic or clues. When something is very specific, and there's no clues, there you have it.

Quote:
Where does intuition end and ESP begin?
There's no difference between intuition and ESP.

Quote:
Or 'how does it work?'... There's lots of theories. The collective subconscious (or unconscious) is one. Humans, and animals, share a subconscious, that transmits through energy connections not yet discovered (or not revealed to general public).

Experiments have demonstrated telepathy. Even saw one demonstrating a dog knows when it's master is coming home (at earlier time) when sound of car has been ruled out.

Then there's spirit beings, or other dimensional beings, who watch, giving info to readers through 'telepathy'. There are readers who are expert at reading the readee's cues, manipulating, or doing research, etc. Then there are those who say they have a 'spirit guide', who tells them things.

The I-ching, reading entrails, tea-leaves, seeing images, hearing voices, 'playing in the zone', are all possible examples of connecting to one's own subconscious, reading the collective subconscious, or getting help from spirit beings.

Then there's the theory of the Akashic records - a space-time dimension where a trail of events, & maybe even thoughts & emotions, are left (etched) in this plane, as they occur. One can access this trail through certain senses.

Then of course some believe the Holy Spirit can reveal any info through one's spirit.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-27-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Evil Dead

[IMG]ball[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Evil Dead

My bad.....
Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM
It's a-liiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Or 'how does it work?'... There's lots of theories. The collective subconscious (or unconscious) is one. Humans, and animals, share a subconscious, that transmits through energy connections not yet discovered (or not revealed to general public).

Experiments have demonstrated telepathy. Even saw one demonstrating a dog knows when it's master is coming home (at earlier time) when sound of car has been ruled out.

Then there's spirit beings, or other dimensional beings, who watch, giving info to readers through 'telepathy'. There are readers who are expert at reading the readee's cues, manipulating, or doing research, etc. Then there are those who say they have a 'spirit guide', who tells them things.

The I-ching, reading entrails, tea-leaves, seeing images, hearing voices, 'playing in the zone', are all possible examples of connecting to one's own subconscious, reading the collective subconscious, or getting help from spirit beings.

Then there's the theory of the Akashic records - a space-time dimension where a trail of events, & maybe even thoughts & emotions, are left (etched) in this plane, as they occur. One can access this trail through certain senses.

Then of course some believe the Holy Spirit can reveal any info through one's spirit.
Of all of these, connecting to one's unconscious mind seems the likeliest to me. My take on the collective unconscious is that, sure, members of the same species have similar brains, bodies, experiences, feelings, etc. The jump to World Mind is too much of a leap of faith for me.

It does seem likely to me that minds can be read, to some extent. I picture it as a type of transmission, like a radio wave, but (currently) undetectable by science. I also think it likely that future events can, to some extent, be foreseen. Again, inexplicably.

What seems most plausible to you?