Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 12-16-2020, 01:58 AM
Immortal horror fan

What are Your Best Movie Theater Experiences?

With the virus and things probably not being right for movie theaters until late 2021 if not 2022. And with how some studios will go the direct streaming route with movies like the upcoming Wonder Woman and others. Plus the backlash from many directors.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rner-bros-plan

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/d...os-1234851270/

I was thinking about how many times I had good viewing experiences in the movie theater vs at home.

I like the idea of going to the movie theater. But notable viewing experiences with a good audience and equally good movie are pretty low. I hate walking out of bad movies. I never really met anyone at the movies. Although it came to me that I did have a few girls give me their number at the theater. I thought they were too fast for their own good though and never called.

I would get free posters from the managers at a few theaters. All of those are closed now. The majority of theaters I went to growing up are gone. And I think I realized why I enjoy watching many movies at home vs going to the theater.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:18 AM
This is a test

I never liked the theatres. Ive taken the grandkids a few times but that was mainly to be an extra pair of hands for my daughter. What I did love was the Drive-In. Sure, it could be buggy and hot but we would load up on treats and soft drinks and half the time my kids would just get out and sit on lawn chairs we had brought.
My main problem with theatres was " what if we got stuck sitting near a rowdy bunch of people?. That plus Im quite anti-social.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
I never liked the theatres. Ive taken the grandkids a few times but that was mainly to be an extra pair of hands for my daughter. What I did love was the Drive-In. Sure, it could be buggy and hot but we would load up on treats and soft drinks and half the time my kids would just get out and sit on lawn chairs we had brought.
My main problem with theatres was " what if we got stuck sitting near a rowdy bunch of people?. That plus Im quite anti-social.
I always wanted to go to a drive in theater. That's the thing I'm surprised more theater companies haven't tried during this virus period. It seems old school but fun. I remember seeing one once but I didn't have anyone to go with and I believe it was on the verge of closure.

The number of times I've been in a packed theater are very few. Usually opening weekends. I too don't like to bet on sitting next to an unknown stranger or group. But I guess I'm lucky in that the rowdy people were always away from me. I think they tend to sit in the front or very back. Places where people who don't really enjoy movies sit. You can't enjoy a movie at the front seats looking up. And the back is too far back and the surround doesn't work back there. I always sit in the middle.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:41 PM
Immortal horror fan

Worth a watch.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Shadowy Figure

I am generally not a huge fan of going to the theater for horror films, as the wrong crowd can take you right out of it. That said, there are two really cool experiences that come to mind: Saw and Scream. I don't want to give away anything, in the unlikely event that somebody reading this has not seen those movies, but the crowd reactions near the end of both were wonderful.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:15 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Yeah, a rowdy group is always a 2% chance, but the theatre should take care of that. I think I've only been bugged by other people like 3 times in my life. You anti-social? Dont believe it.

I LOVE the theatre experience! It's so enveloping. The big screen, dark theatre, surround sound.

Best experiences were surely two shows high with my best friend for Edward Sissorhands and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Psychedelic visuals, laughs, tears and wonderment.

Best horror film experiences? Haven't really seen a ton of horror at the theatre... so probably: Se7en for sure was pretty intense. And Halloween 2 and Fun House were fairly horror impactful. Aliens was a good time, but I don't personally consider that horror.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-22-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:51 AM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

Best experiences were surely two shows high with my best friend for Edward Sissorhands and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Psychedelic visuals, laughs, tears and wonderment.

Wait a minute....Edward Sissorhands? Two guys giggling away like infatuated schoolgirls and kicking the back of my seat...that was you????.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:55 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

i remember when i saw 300 in the theater, everyone marched out of there like they were gonna cut up some persians....
Old 01-12-2021, 07:32 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Wait a minute....Edward Sissorhands? Two guys giggling away like infatuated schoolgirls and kicking the back of my seat...that was you????.
We had big feet

Old 03-21-2021, 10:41 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Seeing Halloween-2018 version, totally alone. I went on a Tuesday & was the only person in the theater 😁

Same thing happened with the Titanic 3d release as well.

I don't mind an empty theater, but I do like having other people around too sometimes. Its interesting sharing a film with strangers.