Old 10-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Jaded

13 Ghosts

I watched "13 Ghosts" (not "Thir13en Ghosts" made in 2001) in the wee hours of the morning this morning. It was made in 1960, and aside from the cheesy "special effects", it was pretty good. It's in black and white and has a whimsical feel to it, I thought so anyway. I really enjoyed it. Has anyone else seen this movie, maybe even this morning since it was on cable? I'm not sure if "Thir13en Ghosts" is supposed to be a remake of this or not, cuz I haven't seen that one.

"There is no fuckin' ice cream in your fuckin' future." -Otis
"Once in a while ya get shown the light, in the strangest of places if ya look at it right." -RH&JG
"Do your best, fuck the rest." -Me
"Onward, through the fog..." -Me
Old 10-12-2008, 12:54 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Been wanting to see this FOREVER....William Castle is a wonderful filmmaker.

And yes, the 2001 version is supposed to be a remake of this...no idea how faithful it is as I haven't seen the original, but on it's own merits it's not much good. Similar in style to the '99 version of House on Haunted Hill, but not nearly as well executed. It has it's moments (good cast, some cool ghosts) but I wouldn't go out of your way to track it down.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

It's a great companion piece to Castle's House on Haunted Hill, and used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid. I thought the remake was fairly faithful and entertaining(freshened up a bit with gory effects) and having a plain-Jane everyman like Tony Shalhoub play the hero was a nice touch.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:14 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festered View Post
It's a great companion piece to Castle's House on Haunted Hill, and used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid. I thought the remake was fairly faithful and entertaining(freshened up a bit with gory effects) and having a plain-Jane everyman like Tony Shalhoub play the hero was a nice touch.
Shalloub and Matthew Lillard were easily the best part of that movie.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Cranky

Fun little film. Castle knew how to entertain.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 PM
My fucking sunblock blows

[QUOTE=monalisa;739557]I watched "13 Ghosts" (not "Thir13en Ghosts" made in 2001) in the wee hours of the morning this morning. . Has anyone else seen this movie, maybe even this morning since it was on cable? /QUOTE]

I watched the same thing. It was pretty good for it's time.

The Termin00ber!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

I still like watching William Castle's original "13 Ghosts" and "House on Haunted Hill." They are great fun with tremendous "old school" spooky atmosphere. The supposed "remakes" didn't do much for me aside from an inspired moment here and there. But the originals? Pure fun

Friend....gooooood!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
I still like watching William Castle's original "13 Ghosts" and "House on Haunted Hill." They are great fun with tremendous "old school" spooky atmosphere. The supposed "remakes" didn't do much for me aside from an inspired moment here and there. But the originals? Pure fun
I haven't seen the original "House on Haunted Hill". Now I really wanna. I'll have to find a copy. I love the old spooky/horror movies. I grew up watching many of them on Saturday afternoons back when I was a kid.

"Once in a while ya get shown the light, in the strangest of places if ya look at it right." -RH&JG
Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festered View Post
It's a great companion piece to Castle's House on Haunted Hill, and used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid.
Agreed and agreed. Actually, I should probably pick up the both of them and do a movie marathon. I thought that 13 Ghosts, while definitely cheesy at times, certainly had its legitimately creepy parts to it. My memory for House is slightly more vivid than 13 Ghosts, though (I remember the blood spot on the ceiling coming back in the end to drip on that woman's hand at the end... definitely sent chills down my spine).

I don't remember the 13 Ghosts remake being that faithful to the original. Part of what I thought was fascinating (and I thought deserved a LOT more attention, detail, writing, and lore) was the concept of the Black Zodiac. I do not remember that grouping or lore having presence in the original film, but then again, it's been a while since I've seen it.

I thought that the premise and plot were really silly in the remake, but the concept of the Zodiac was absolutely intriguing for me. I wish that they had elaborated a bit more (I should actually go into further detail in terms of my personal analysis of the film, but alas I am very tired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
I haven't seen the original "House on Haunted Hill". Now I really wanna. I'll have to find a copy. I love the old spooky/horror movies. I grew up watching many of them on Saturday afternoons back when I was a kid.
You absolutely should - It's a personal favorite of mine and I believe it to be a classic masterpiece.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

You absolutely should - It's a personal favorite of mine and I believe it to be a classic masterpiece.
Yay! I found it on amazon! It's got Vincent Price in it, I love his movies. I ordered a few more while I was there. :)