Old 07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
T-Shirts to die for!

We need more Monsters!!

I love horror movies, but I just wish we had more monsters . Bring back Cropsy, Driller Killer, Wishmaster and the likes of Jason! Real characters!! Or i'm getting old!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadordead View Post
I love horror movies, but I just wish we had more monsters . Bring back Cropsy, Driller Killer, Wishmaster and the likes of Jason! Real characters!! Or i'm getting old!
I agree! Maybe the problem is that monsters were a product of another time. We rarely see new monsters anymore either. I would definitely love to see more monsters in modern horror too... preferably monsters that don't date teenage girls :p
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadordead View Post
No....if you were old [ like myself] you would have said "Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy or Dracula.......lets not forget The Creature [ from the Black Lagoon]
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Evil Dead

I love monsters but in the real sense,not evil men.Monsters like King-Kong,The Relic,Cloverfield,The Thing,The Blob, that kind of stuff.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Herald of Madness

I hear people cite that humans are the scariest monsters of all since they are real. I tend to think that while that might be true, monsters in the more traditional sense can certainly be just as scary. One of my favorite movies that I like to cite as one of the most scariest is The Thing. Everytime I watch that movie, I always get a sense of dread.

Another thing I hear people fight on is practical vs. digital effects. Seems more people are interested in practical effects when it comes to creatures. This is ever more true around Horror fans. Personally I think a hybrid creation of practical and digital effects is a nice way to go.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Little Boo

One of the most underrated monster movies imho is "Feast" and "Feast II:Sloppy Seconds".

Such a shame that it was straight to DVD release :(
Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Horror writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreedNoir View Post
Another thing I hear people fight on is practical vs. digital effects. Seems more people are interested in practical effects when it comes to creatures. This is ever more true around Horror fans. Personally I think a hybrid creation of practical and digital effects is a nice way to go.
I agree. I think a lot of people like the practical effects for nostalgic reasons.
For me, the problem is that now graphics are so realistic, filmakers can show the entire creature/monster/alien, which obliterates most of the scare factor. In the days of practical effects, the limitation meant that it had to remain mostly hidden, and that was the key to its success. Compare Alien to Alien Ressurection. Classic vs. pure sh*t.
As for the hybrid aproach, that's what they did for the prequel of The Thing, and I really liked it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Little Boo

There are a few examples creeping around....I particularly liked the 'crawlers' from The Descent. Although the sequel was, predictably, pants.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Hellraiser

Though I disagree with the choices of monsters mentioned by the O.P, I completely agree with the sentiment.
The greatest monsters were true anti-heroes to me whereas the likes of Hannibal Lector are just repulsive (effective though)
I mention Hannibal Lector as it seems that the traditional movie monster died a death some time around the release of silence of the lambs.
Personally I believe that the well has run dry and the humble monster cannot captivate modern audiences like before.
I'm probably wrong though and I certainly hope I am.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Hellraiser

Hypothermia is a pretty decent monster flick that just came out recently. The creature itself looks like a man in a rubber suit, but the characters are well written and the suspense is well crafted so it's a good movie overall.
As for human monsters, I quite enjoyed The Collector as well as the sequel, The Collection. Those were really fun movies.

Tags
horror movies, illustration, monsters, tshirts