Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2014, 01:09 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
You really don't understand cosplay, do you?
I haven't been to a cosplay yet. But I've seen them on youtube. Why I'm I asking the wrong questions?

Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Cranky

Cosplayers don't go out in fields and role-play like it's some SCA meeting or something. They go to conventions - comicons, steampunk cons, sci fi cons, etc., to display their creations.

What's presented here is a character shot, posed and produced by a professional photographer or talented amatuer. It's meant to showcase the artistry of the cosplayer's skill, and their success at creating a character.

It's not LARPing.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Cool look for you. How did cosplay go? How many people joined, was it in a forest, did everyone stay in character, was it Thrones only, did you all act-out/play a new story, how long did it last?
While neverending is right, cosplay is different from LARP (Live Action Role Play), I really appreciate your interest in my photo, Sculpt. The main goal of cosplaying is to recreate the outfit of a character. The character can be from film, television, anime, video games, literature, etc. and the cosplayer can choose either to copy the character's outfit as accurately as possible or interpret the character according to the cosplayer's preference.

For this particular cosplay, I've chosen to do the latter. I decided to merge two different characters from different fandoms, namely Merida from the Disney movie "Brave" and Katniss Everdeen from the "Hunger Games" series. Since both Merida and Katniss are archers, I thought it would be fun to try to create a look that pays homage to them both. For example, my hair is red like Merida's, but styled in the braid Katniss wore in the movie. The dress was a mass-produced item that I heavily altered and is blue like Katniss's Reaping dress, but medieval in style, like Merida might wear. The ruana I am wearing I designed as a sort of compromise between Merida's cloak and Katniss's hunting cowl and is fastened with a Mockingjay pin. The arrows were also handmade by me, along with the belt. The bow was purchased online, although I finished it myself and added the leather grip.

Like neverending mentioned, some cosplayers pay professional photographers to take pictures of them in their costumes. Since I'm on a budget, my Dad took this picture of me in our local park.

Anyway, I'm glad I could introduce you to the world of cosplay in all its geeky glory. I'm currently working on a femme Loki cosplay, so I'll try to post some pics when it's finished.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Cranky

Your dad did a great job on the photograph, and your costume is cool!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Evil Dead

Thanks, Lee! And hey, it seems as though we have the first same name.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
My latest cosplay. You know you've reached a new nerdy low when the only pics you have of yourself are cosplay pics.

LOVE THIS.

I also love the Brave/Hunger Games mashup concept; really unique! The costume is great!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Evil Dead

Thanks, ChronoGrl! I'm so glad you like it.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Cosplayers don't go out in fields and role-play like it's some SCA meeting or something. They go to conventions - comicons, steampunk cons, sci fi cons, etc., to display their creations.

What's presented here is a character shot, posed and produced by a professional photographer or talented amatuer. It's meant to showcase the artistry of the cosplayer's skill, and their success at creating a character.

It's not LARPing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
While neverending is right, cosplay is different from LARP (Live Action Role Play), I really appreciate your interest in my photo, Sculpt. The main goal of cosplaying is to recreate the outfit of a character. The character can be from film, television, anime, video games, literature, etc. and the cosplayer can choose either to copy the character's outfit as accurately as possible or interpret the character according to the cosplayer's preference.

For this particular cosplay, I've chosen to do the latter. I decided to merge two different characters from different fandoms, namely Merida from the Disney movie "Brave" and Katniss Everdeen from the "Hunger Games" series. Since both Merida and Katniss are archers, I thought it would be fun to try to create a look that pays homage to them both. For example, my hair is red like Merida's, but styled in the braid Katniss wore in the movie. The dress was a mass-produced item that I heavily altered and is blue like Katniss's Reaping dress, but medieval in style, like Merida might wear. The ruana I am wearing I designed as a sort of compromise between Merida's cloak and Katniss's hunting cowl and is fastened with a Mockingjay pin. The arrows were also handmade by me, along with the belt. The bow was purchased online, although I finished it myself and added the leather grip.

Like neverending mentioned, some cosplayers pay professional photographers to take pictures of them in their costumes. Since I'm on a budget, my Dad took this picture of me in our local park.

Anyway, I'm glad I could introduce you to the world of cosplay in all its geeky glory. I'm currently working on a femme Loki cosplay, so I'll try to post some pics when it's finished.
Thanks to both of you! I'm was unfamiliar with the difference between cosplay and LARP. I see an aweful lot goes into the costume. That bow looks like it's about as tall as you are. Have you tried shooting any of your homemade arrows, or are they unshootable props?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

"It only hurts when I'm LARPing"
Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
"It only hurts when I'm LARPing"
It can definitely get out of hand

Thumb resize.