Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkedorange View Post
just go back and read the last 3 pages of the extended cut. best part o the entire book IMO
The extended cut would be the unabridged version

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
I'll have to give this a read I loved The Ninth Gate.
Finished The Club Dumas last night, and figured I'd share my thoughts without giving anything away. So I'll speak in generalities as much as I can for any that are wanting to eventually give it a try.

I really enjoyed it. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. That said, this is one of the few instances where the movie is better than the book (in my opinion).

There's two plots in the book. One revolves around Alexander Dumas' The Three Musketeers, and the other around the Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows.

Obviously, the movie takes out the whole Dumas plot. Which was a great move. Not that the Dumas angle wasn't interesting, it was, but it really focused the story better. In fact, the Dumas plot is so similar to another movie (that I love) by David Fincher, that I'm left wondering if a hollywood writer totally ripped off this plot line after reading this book.

Some positives:
-You get actual physical pictures of those neat engravings from the Nine Gates
-The conversation with the Baroness is longer and goes into great detail on the engravings
-You get more information on the mysterious woman

Some negatives:
- The ending is a lot better in the movie
- The author tries to keep the story light, and even adds a comedic character, which I would have rather it gone in the opposite direction, making it darker and more foreboding.
- the Nine Gates gets a lot less page time than I wanted, and that's why I give it 4 stars instead of 5.

Last edited by JudgeU; 11-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Evil is Better

Right now i'm reading Area 51 by Robert Doherty

Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeU View Post
Finished The Club Dumas last night, and figured I'd share my thoughts without giving anything away. So I'll speak in generalities as much as I can for any that are wanting to eventually give it a try.

I really enjoyed it. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. That said, this is one of the few instances where the movie is better than the book (in my opinion).

There's two plots in the book. One revolves around Alexander Dumas' The Three Musketeers, and the other around the Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows.

Obviously, the movie takes out the whole Dumas plot. Which was a great move. Not that the Dumas angle wasn't interesting, it was, but it really focused the story better. In fact, the Dumas plot is so similar to another movie (that I love) by David Fincher, that I'm left wondering if a hollywood writer totally ripped off this plot line after reading this book.

Some positives:
-You get actual physical pictures of those neat engravings from the Nine Gates
-The conversation with the Baroness is longer and goes into great detail on the engravings
-You get more information on the mysterious woman

Some negatives:
- The ending is a lot better in the movie
- The author tries to keep the story light, and even adds a comedic character, which I would have rather it gone in the opposite direction, making it darker and more foreboding.
- the Nine Gates gets a lot less page time than I wanted, and that's why I give it 4 stars instead of 5.
Fascinating thank you for all the detail without giving spoilers-very much appreciated :) I have to say it is very sad that the author went for a lighter tone. I agree I hoped it would have had the darker tone like the movie shame. But my curiosity for further details about the engravings and mystery woman will mean I'll give it a try at some point-cheers :)
Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Little Boo

I'm reading The Children of Manson by Catherine Bell at the mo.

Not sure if its that well known but its been a good read so far. Its kind of different in the way it describes the gore...a lot of its implied.. but the stuff that is described really sets my teeth on edge.

Really enjoying the way this author writes too.
Will see how the plot develops.

Anyone else come across this one?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Scares Little Kids

About to start reading Blood Meridian today. It's talked about highly in literary circles and mostly with the caveat 'not for the faint of heart.'

I've heard its name from time to time, but know almost nothing about it except what the back cover says, "1850's... A Kid stumbles into a nightmarish world in which the market for Indian scalps is thriving."

We shall see.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Hellraiser

I'm currently reading very interesting SEO books lol, not the most exciting read. going up town soon to look for real books might have a look into ones already mentioned in this thread :)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 AM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeU View Post
About to start reading Blood Meridian today. It's talked about highly in literary circles and mostly with the caveat 'not for the faint of heart.'

I've heard its name from time to time, but know almost nothing about it except what the back cover says, "1850's... A Kid stumbles into a nightmarish world in which the market for Indian scalps is thriving."

We shall see.
Sounds promising, let me know if it is as horrorfying as the description suggests.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Horror Fan

I am reading Jerusalem's Lot, by Stephen King.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Scares Little Kids

'Salem's Lot and It are my two favorites by King. Good stuff.