Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

View Poll Results: Evil Dead vs. Hellraiser
I would want to see this film. 15 71.43%
I don't care about this film. 1 4.76%
I hate this idea. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillehpie View Post
Hi all, I am currently writing an essay for uni.
They've asked me to reboot or remake an existing franchise and I have decided to try and justify an Evil Dead vs. Hellraiser film.

Criticisms aside, if Raimi and Barker collaborated, would anyone be interested in going to see it?

I just need some figures to use in my justifications essay.

Not sure how anyone even plots out a ED Vs Hellraiser. ED doesn't have identifiable villain, that's the main problem. The "Hellraisers" are really just kind of a more defined group of ED, in a sense. As far as the "versus" goes, I just don't see any story or plot there. So how would that even work? You have any idea?

It would be better if they collaborated on a new movie concept in the ED/Hellraiser genre. in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Not sure how anyone even plots out a ED Vs Hellraiser. ED doesn't have identifiable villain, that's the main problem. The "Hellraisers" are really just kind of a more defined group of ED, in a sense. As far as the "versus" goes, I just don't see any story or plot there. So how would that even work? You have any idea?

It would be better if they collaborated on a new movie concept in the ED/Hellraiser genre. in my opinion.
I see your point, but I do see more similarities. I think Deadites and Cenobites makes sense. The deadites are really the villains in the evil dead, there are numerous ones and different based on who is possessed. Even though the Cenobites are established in Hellraiser I think both have a supernatural element that could work. And each are brought forth by something like the puzzle box being what opens the gate to the Cenobites and the Book of the Dead raising the evil that creates the deadites.

Last edited by horrorfangirl66; 04-24-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfangirl66 View Post
I see your point, but I do see more similarities. I think Deadites and Cenobites makes sense. The deadites are really the villains in the evil dead, there are numerous ones and different based on who is possessed. Even though the Cenobites are established in Hellraiser I think both have a supernatural element that could work. And each are brought forth by something like the puzzle box being what opens the gate to the Cenobites and the Book of the Dead raising the evil that creates the deadites.
Yeah, kind of what was mentioned here.

I would think the only way a movie like this would even be possible would be that a group of people read from the book and either the same group or a different group in the same area open the puzzle box and then the Demons and/or Deadites end up battling the Cenobites over the souls.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Yeah, kind of what was mentioned here.

I would think the only way a movie like this would even be possible would be that a group of people read from the book and either the same group or a different group in the same area open the puzzle box and then the Demons and/or Deadites end up battling the Cenobites over the souls.
Agree. That's about how I imagined it working :) I guess it could kind of be like the "choice" that was given in Cabin in the Woods but somehow different so that they would pick the two.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
If Raimi and Barker actually got together and made an Evil Dead vs. Hellraiser film...yeah, I would go see it.
Barker doesn't own the rights for Hellraiser and hates that what it turned, so he hardly will take part.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:

The bad guys in Evil Dead are 'Candarian Demons' - so there u go.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:

Wouldn't you just be able to have Ash fighting the Cenobites?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Scares Little Kids

My issue with this: two magical artifacts would be required to trigger the arrival of the Cenobites and the Deadites. So, this means either one idiot activates two eldritch artifacts with demons attached or two separate groups of idiots activate them. And what exactly would Cenobites have to do with Deadites? They can't really punish them for anything or tempt them with anything. They don't have any reason to stop them. They wouldn't need to team up for any reason. And if the angle is Ash against Deadites and Cenobites, closing a puzzle box is kind of a less than dynamic thing for a hero with a chainsaw for a hand to do. Evil Dead is about mayhem. Hellraiser is about consequences. The franchises would step on each other's toes too much.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Little Boo

so basically the way it would work is:

remember in hellraiser when julia looks through franks pictures and he's with some naked woman? - that's where my reboot begins. (i dont think the TIMELINE matches exactly, i need to work some more stuff out)

this woman from the pictures ends up getting preggo and getting totally obsessed with finding frank because he just vanished, but he's already with the cennobites as we know.

she goes to the moroccan seller and its pretty obvious they know eachother and she wants to know where frank is, this seller is a smart guy and knows that this woman will take whatever crap he spins in order to find frank.

he doesn't give her a box, he gives her the necronomicon (because he's a crafty git who wants money) and tells her that she will find frank through it blah blah.

she goes back home tries to read it, cant understand it, and realises she's been mugged off. then the film cuts to however long down the line and her baby is a grown woman, and they are living in the original hellraiser house because they managed to track frank. but they've hit a dead end.

the mums insane by this point and is a bit too obsessive over finding frank.

cut a desriptive part short, the daughter is moving out, shes got her mates and her boyfriend to help her move boxes, they try to move a box that is covered in dust, they open it and its full of stuff to do with frank and the necronomicon.

another cutting a long story short, one of them gets all bloodied up, frank starts to regen, they also manage to decipher the necronomicon, one of them gets posessed, they have to cut them into bits, all that blood brings frank back but hes part deadite now and he brings the box back.

this is where the cennobites come into play, they have a claim to frank, they dont like that he has escaped, and they certainly dont like the fact that he is part deadite so he's pretty tough now, he doesn't have to go back with them because hes strong.

so it's really deadite frank vs cennobites with a nice crowded house of teenagers to either fall pray to cennobites or deadites, and they both need to be stopped.

there are kinks i need to iron out and what not but that is the basic idea of how it will cross over :)

Last edited by lillehpie; 04-30-2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: didn't make sense
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Scares Little Kids

That makes some more sense. But what is Evil Dead actually bringing to the table in this crossover then? Frank already escaped the Cenobites once, he's proven himself resurrectable and in this case, he's just leveled up slightly. I think what you need to do is really examine what makes evil dead distinctive. I'm a submissions editor and have handled a lot of story and book pitches and the thing about high concepts is that the high concept needs to be milked for all of its resources. What you have here is just an undead menace in a world where the undead menace was already an undead menace. Were this at all possible, you would have to think of the fact that adding a world and buying the rights to one generates a lot of cogs. So there need to be really good reasons for someone to do it. The Army of Darkness comics always manage to do a good job of this, as does the Hack/Slash series.

Tags
evildead, hellraiser, remake