Old 01-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

The Farm - 6/10

Yay... Another movie where a baby is murdered almost instantly after the mother delivers it. Is this a sick ass fetish thing or something?

The ending was kind of cool but otherwise the story made no sense as to why what was happening was happening. I mean you understand what's happening but on the full spectrum you don't know why they are doing it which makes it quite confusing and hard to get into other than the gore factor. I also find it pretty far-fetched that such a community could exist under the radar the way it does. I only give this a cigs because of the gore and the creativity behind the last shot.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Ninth Gate (1999)
7/10

Rare book dealer (Johnny Depp) is hired to find and compare two remaining copies of an ancient occult book believed to contain secrets for summoning the devil and powers.

Based on the book The Club Dumas, and directed by Roman Polanski. Starts off with plenty of intrigued as Depp motions the endeavor into a film noir hunt for the book with plenty of dangers whilst an interesting puzzle develops regarding the books. It's a coherent and bookended film.

Unfortunately, instead of amping the puzzle à la National Treasure or The Da Vinci Code, the puzzle becomes more simple, to the point of near irrelevance. The pace also appears to slow, as character development and suspense seem to cease. Ironically, the occult horror, so palpable in Polanski's Rosemary's Baby, is not pursued, and as the film progresses there's ever less a feeling of danger. The final scenes seem more a dry, reluctant footnote that highlights the lack of material at hand; as items seemed to be checkoff the cart, but few items added.
I like The Ninth Gate. I was looking into the book props for my collection. There is a creeping darkness about the movie. I can't really say the part I thought was clever without spoiling it. But I thought the secret and mystery of the book was cool. I guess it's the sort of movie with a few drinks like the characters in the movie, you just fall into the atmosphere, music, and settings. I love the library early in the movie. I want to setup the book prop with that postcard photo. And I do tend to get higher end editions of books. The most recent one was this Storms at Sea deluxe edition. Here is a flip though of the normal.

I guess I really like the movie and would probably fall into the same trap as Johnny Depp's character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storms at Sea Deluxe.jpg (20.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I like The Ninth Gate. I was looking into the book props for my collection. There is a creeping darkness about the movie. I can't really say the part I thought was clever without spoiling it. But I thought the secret and mystery of the book was cool. I guess it's the sort of movie with a few drinks like the characters in the movie, you just fall into the atmosphere, music, and settings. I love the library early in the movie. I want to setup the book prop with that postcard photo. And I do tend to get higher end editions of books. The most recent one was this Storms at Sea deluxe edition. Here is a flip though of the normal.

I guess I really like the movie and would probably fall into the same trap as Johnny Depp's character.
Wow, great art in that book!

I enjoyed Ninth Gate too. It does look really good and has effective atmosphere, and like I said, I thought the first half was really good. Unfortunately, I had to take a phonecall a little past the middle, had to watch the rest the next evening. I went back a ways to keep the continuity, but what ya gonna do? Anyway, after I wrote my review I read some others, and I'm not alone in my impressions.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Wow, great art in that book!

I enjoyed Ninth Gate too. It does look really good and has effective atmosphere, and like I said, I thought the first half was really good. Unfortunately, I had to take a phonecall a little past the middle, had to watch the rest the next evening. I went back a ways to keep the continuity, but what ya gonna do? Anyway, after I wrote my review I read some others, and I'm not alone in my impressions.
Are the other reviews all in this topic?

I do think halfway in when the atmosphere gets a bit brighter might hurt the movie a bit. Horror movies are always better at night. I'm talking specifically about those Paris scenes. But that's only a small part of the movie.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Are the other reviews all in this topic?

I do think halfway in when the atmosphere gets a bit brighter might hurt the movie a bit. Horror movies are always better at night. I'm talking specifically about those Paris scenes. But that's only a small part of the movie.
You can use the site's Search function, you can even have it search the movie title in just this thread. But I was referring to reviews on wiki and/or RT.

I think it's cool for a 2h15m film to change moods, settings, lighting and all... hard to stay dark for 2hrs+. But you probably have a point there. I think he went to Italy and then Paris, and there's daylight scenes. Overall things seemed to brighten and the threat level kept decreasing, things seemed more tongue-in-cheek spurred by the blonde young lady and Depp. I'm not sure if that was the tone Polanski was going for, but I don't think it ever switched away from that comical tone after that. Cary Grant and the femme fatale can comically banter in some Hitchcock films, but usually it's just a humorous respite, not a tone setter for the rest of the film.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM
病気の

Trauma, 2018. 8/10

Director: Lucio A. Rojas

Thumb resize.

This film is so fucked up!
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Nightmare on Elm Street remake
Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 View Post
Nightmare on Elm Street remake
New Nightmare? What did you think of it, Bama?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Quote:
New Nightmare? What did you think of it, Bama?
It's okay the new Freddy was not very good
Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 PM
That fucking Guy...

Thing that sucks about it is...hes not even a bad actor, or that he can't play "sinister guy"...as a matter of fact I'd say he's average to pretty good depending on what you see him in.
He SLAYED Rorschach.
Great in the short lived human target.
Not bad in Preacher.

Just...horribly miscast as Freddy...

Tags
movie