Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Evil Dead

I think that the "ultimate avengers" movie gave a good example of how a cap movie COULD work if expanded upon.
Just take any of his villains that have "stood the test of time" and made the leap from the 30's and 40'd comics into the modern day "post thawing" era, make them the major threat in the "origin" timeline, and dr evil their asses into the future to come out of the shadows in the modern day too.
I'd like to see both a "classic" and "modern/tech" version in terms of costume too...semi military fatigue style of the old (the old shield maybe too...), and something maybe not as flag based as the "new".
Done well, I think it could be alright...just so long as
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_soul View Post
Captain America??
Boring!!!

wow your soul is really dark.

lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 AM
For Vendetta

June 13, 2008

Marvel Studios is reportedly considering two A-list stars to play the title role in The First Avenger: Captain America, which is slated for release May 6, 2011.

According to Latino Review, Marvel wants either Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt to play Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America. The site stresses, though, that neither actor has been approached yet. They are simply on the studio's shortlist right now.

Latino Review adds that Marvel is also mulling Pitt to play Thor.

DiCaprio, 33, is busy with a slew of other projects in the works (namely Atari and Fleming) so perhaps he'll be too busy to don the red, white and blue for Marvel.

The 44 year-old Pitt, like fellow rumored contender Matthew McConaughey, may be too long in the tooth now to play young recruit-turned-super soldier Steve Rogers.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Living Dead

Boring angst...

It will be cool to have a superhero movie with a real hero; I'm very tired of the cliche existential angst of most of the recent heroes brought to the screen. Having said that, I was never a fan of the CAPTAIN AMERICA comicbooks. Although, if it's done well, I will probably enjoy this. Just think if Mavel had control of a FANTASTIC FOUR film! I hope they can buy the rights to SPIDERMAN and THE FANTASTIC FOUR back.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:56 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Avengers Franchise - Prediction/Discussion Thread

Before some noob comes in here and calls me out on it - yes, I know that this isn't horror related. Fuck you :)

So, we all know by now that Marvel is planning to make a big ol' epic franchise out of The Avengers - they started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, both of which featured pretty badass references to future films.

From what I've read, the plan is to put out Iron Man II and Thor in 2010, followed by Captain America early in the summer of 2011 and capping things off with The Avengers later that season. They've also announced plan for an Ant-Man movie to be part of the saga(with Edgar Wright directing, supposedly), and rumor has it that Nick Fury might be in line for his own film, but to my knowledge no dates have been released for those projects.

So far, they're knocking the ball out of the park IMO. Iron Man and Incredible Hulk are both near perfect superhero movies - lots of action, super faithful the the source material, great effects and writing that's miles beyond your typical blockbuster. But what I think really sets them ahead of a lot of similar movies has to be the actors. Not only are people like Downey and Norton perfect for the roles, they are award winning, highly respected actors. This adds talent and prestige to the a genre that is ofter sorely lacking.

And they dont even stop with just the main characters; even the supporting casts are star studded in the best possible way. Guys like William Hurt, Tim Roth, Terrence Howard, Gweneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges...Jesus, the amount of Oscar winners + nominees in these movies is simply mindblowing.

This does leave them with pretty massive shoes to fill for the upcoming projects though...can they find enough A-listers to round out the casts of at least 3 more major projects?

Supposedly, Marvel's first choice for Cap is Leonardo DiCaprio, if he wants the role. Personally, I think he's a great actor, but a very strange choice for Steve Rogers. But that said, I have complete faith in Marvel after Iron Man + Incredible Hulk, so if they think he'll pull it off, then he'll pull it off.

Casting Cap has an extra challenge: whoever they cast has to be able to command the screen as a leader, in a room with powerhouses like Downey and Norton. A lot of people are saying that they should try and cast an unknown for the part, but I really can't see somebody without much experience being able to hold their own with guys like that. Leo has the presence for sure, IMO, which is another reason that I'm backing up Marvel's choice.

I haven't heard anything even remotely concrete for Thor as yet...Matthew Vaughan is directing, but casting is still a total mystery. Rumor mill is suggesting that Brad Pitt and Kevin McKidd are being considered, and Karl Urban seems to be the fan favourite, but to the best of my knowledge Marvel hasn't released anything.

So, what do you guys think? Any ideas for casting? Should they use the classic 616 versions of the characters, update things to the Ultimate universe, or an amalgam of the two (as they seem to be doing so far)? What are your thoughts on Ant-Man - he is Marvel's Aquaman afterall, the butt of every joke - but can Wright make him worthwhile? What about Thor - the movies thus far have been as realistic as possible, but how can that treatment work for the son of a Norse god?

We've had some pretty good brief conversations about this stuff in other threads, but I thought it'd be fun to have an overall discussion thread. So, lets hear some opinions!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
I still want Aaron Eckhart for Captain America. Even if he is too old. I've been meaning to look into Thor for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

I think Ant-Man will be good, not because of the character, but because I haven't seen Edgar Wright do anything bad yet. I hope Pegg's involved somehow, but if not, I can live with it.

I'll see Nick Fury regardless, but I'm still on the fence whether I'm excited or not.

But this franchise looks to be shaping up nicely, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk are definitely my two favorite non-Batman "superhero" movies.

And off-topic (your mention of Aquaman reminded me. Not trying to start a discussion and stray off topic, Return, just curious if you heard.)-Did you know that Adam Green (Hatchet) got hired to write an animated Aquaman film?

EDIT: A thought. I hope one not-so-great box office performance will put off the actual Avengers film. Because marketing a character named "Captain Ameriica" who wears an American Flag suit in other markets will be tricky.

Last edited by massacre man; 07-12-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacre man View Post
I still want Aaron Eckhart for Captain America. Even if he is too old.
Never going to happen - too old + already Two-Face for DC. Isnt there some kind of law against stuff like that? I mean, if there wasnt, Christian Bake would be playing damn near every superhero ever created :p .

I agree that Eckhart would be great in the role, but I really cant see them casting him.

Quote:
And off-topic (your mention of Aquaman reminded me. Not trying to start a discussion and stray off topic, Return, just curious if you heard.)-Did you know that Adam Green (Hatchet) got hired to write an animated Aquaman film?
Still haven't got around to seeing Hatchet, but I've heard nothing but great things. This could be something to keep an eye on.

Quote:
A thought. I hope one not-so-great box office performance will put off the actual Avengers film. Because marketing a character named "Captain Ameriica" who wears an American Flag suit in other markets will be tricky.
Very tricky indeed....hence why they need a big name to carry it.

I really wish I could come up with some casting suggestions for Cap or Thor, but I'm utterly drawing blanks for both.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Evil Puppy

If they took Leo I would be worried about two things, the future Avengers film and budget. What would the budget for the Avengers film have to be to accommodate RDJ, Ed Norton, and Leo PLUS whoever the others will be? They can't let three big names outshine Ant Man and Thor right? Ok, maybe Ant Man, but Thor would have to be a superstar (I know, they're talking Pitt). What kind of a budget would a film have to have to be a super special effects flick while starring Leo, Downy Jr., Ed Norton, Samuel L. Jackson, and Brad Pitt (plus others!)? I hope Ant Man, Cap, and Thor aren't superstars already, but I suppose that's wishful thinking. I think that putting some great potential in there can help catapult a few names to the top, especially by pairing them with with such established talent.

Last edited by Despare; 07-12-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Never going to happen - too old + already Two-Face for DC. Isnt there some kind of law against stuff like that? I mean, if there wasnt, Christian Bake would be playing damn near every superhero ever created :p .
I wouldn't have a problem with Christian Bale playing every superhero, all the way up until Wonder Woman, then I'm done. Not because I don't think he would do a good job, but because I don't want to see a Wonder Woman movie, I mean, she has an invisible plane... but she can fly. And she has a lasso of truth... She's pretty much a shiny, flying feminist.

Maybe Marvel and DC could do an actor trade. Aaron Eckhart could be Captain America and Ed Norton could be The Riddler. I'd like to see how that would turn out.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:23 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
I really wish I could come up with some casting suggestions for Cap or Thor, but I'm utterly drawing blanks for both.
Same here.

Despare's choice for Thor was Neal McDonough, and it is a good one. (in the Last Seen Movie thread)

Its for certain that Marvel will want a big name to play both these parts...and judging by the way careers are going so far, I am thinking they might be underlining someone like Shia LeBeouf to play a part in some way or another in either/or these movies.

You never know. Comic studios can be real stubborn when it comes to casting.