Old 07-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

5. The Exorcist

Oddly enough, the only place this movie fails, in my opinion, is scariness. Other than the fact that the movie is not altogether scary (though it does have its moments), it's a brilliantly acted and directed movie, without anything in the way of bad spots in it (referring only to the original version). - the STE

4. The Thing (1982)

I hate using the word "perfect" to describe anything, but this Carpenter masterpiece is the rare exception. Top notch acting, production design, music, editing and F/X makes this gem one of the finest films ever produced by the genre. - mothermold

3. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Night of the Living Dead is considered by some to be the ultimate in terror. And for good reason. It was new, refreshing, and shocking. It practically busted the doors to modern horror straight off of their hinges. Sure, American film seekers had seen zombies before, but never like this. Never had such an apocalyptic and horrifying race of creatures scared us so badly. There have, and will be, many great zombie movies since. But this will always remain the granddaddy of them all. The Sultan of Shock. The Master of Macabre. The King of Carnage. Night of the Living Dead. - alkytrio666

2. Halloween (1978)

On a cold Halloween night in Haddonfield, Illinois in 1963, six year old Michael Myers brutally murdered his teenage sister after she had sex with her boyfriend. Michael is then locked inside Smith's Grove Warren County Sanitarium where he is placed under the care of Dr. Sam Loomis who is the only one who sees the pure evil within the soul of Michael. In October 1978, Michael escapes from the sanitarium. After witnessing the escape, Dr. Loomis heads back to Haddonfield where he knows Michael will kill again on Halloween night. Michael begins stalking three teenagers, Laurie Strode and her friends Annie and Lynda. With the help of the town sheriff, Loomis hunts for Michael and hopes to put an end to his grisly murder spree. - Dante'sInferno

1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

I dont really think any sort of plot synopsis is required here. What is there to say about the best horror film ever made that already has not been said countless times?
We could go on about the reflection on society which shows us all to be zombies of modern consumerism. Or we could state how the film shows mankind rising above adversity whilst at the same time being our own worse enemy.
I like to see this film much simpler than that. Its got a quirky, fast paced plot with plenty of tension, threat and, of course, zombie style gore.
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery and in this regard Dawn of the Dead has no equal, being the inspiration behind an entire genre of horror flicks. Many try to manipulate the Romero stlye or copy the Savini FX but to little avail. If anyone anywhere enquires about a definitive horror movie, one that influenced all that came after it, I think this is the one. - scouse mac

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
whatever gets you through

can't one of our mods 'sticky' this? its a great list and should be available for all newcomers to read!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I ain't afraid'a no ghost

Send a message via MSN to stygianwitch
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
can't one of our mods 'sticky' this? its a great list and should be available for all newcomers to read!
I'll second that, it's hard to find otherwise

DVD
Old 08-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Smack My Titties

I see Pulse at 28, and if we're talking about the same Japanese original I find it unfathomable to rate this film as good in any shape or form whatsoever.

Never have I felt such solid boredom while watching a movie - the characters, the acting, the pacing, the editing, the length, the direction, the premise... almost everything about Pulse is utterly terrible.

Perhaps I am overly negative since I for one have had my fill of Asian horror for the time being (let's face it - just about all of it is scary-faces-hidden-behind-hair-while-walking-funny anyway), but this one really nailed the lid on the coffin.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
speaking of which, the title should actually be Kaïro

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
Perhaps I am overly negative since I for one have had my fill of Asian horror for the time being (let's face it - just about all of it is scary-faces-hidden-behind-hair-while-walking-funny anyway), but this one really nailed the lid on the coffin.
Yeh I feel the same way. It was Dark Water that killed it for me.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:31 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
(let's face it - just about all of it is scary-faces-hidden-behind-hair-while-walking-funny anyway),

I'll agree with ya there, it is starting to wear off. The walking used to creep me out but after you see it 30 40 times the effectiveness is gone.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:33 PM
The Emperor of America

so the Ringu backlash has finally started, eh?

===

Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by The STE
so the Ringu backlash has finally started, eh?

They're still making good films imo that I still enjoy, they just don't have the same creepiness to 'em anymore.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
The Emperor of America

I'll admit that far too many Asian horror movies were trying to be Ringu (much in the same way that far too many American horror movies around the same time were trying to be Scream), but outside the Creepy Longhair Girl subgenre there've been some great Asian Horror movies. Of course I've got Kaïro at #34 on my top 100, so what do I know?

===