Old 09-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
But to A Serbian Film, I just wonder if they did it just to be controversial or if there was something they were trying to say. Too often, there are directors that just want to be controversial for its own sake.

I think killing a child is a powerful dramatic tool, as someone else already said. If used properly, it can be quite powerful. It goes to show that anything goes and can happen. And, this is life. Anyone can die at any time. Children are by no means spared.

I have to disagree on Gage. I loved him to death, but that was absolutely brilliant. It's one of the best child deaths in all of cinema. Rarely has the death of a child had more impact than in that death. It is precisely because we love him so much that makes that scene so brilliant in its given context. It is the embodiment of one of our greatest fears. A fear especially profound for parents.
well what i meant is i wish he wasn't killed because he was such a good character and i agree because his death was brilliant and impacting
Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 AM
Evil Dead

impacting but still reasonably tame, the after effect of it hitting him is left to your imagination, which may or may not be effective
Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilold View Post
impacting but still reasonably tame, the after effect of it hitting him is left to your imagination, which may or may not be effective
I mean it's tame in the sense that we don't see the death of Gage, but seeing the death isn't necessarily required. I tend to believe in the less is more philosophy myself.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 AM
Evil Dead

fair enough, my point is not everyone feels that way, therefore the power of it is diminished to an extent
Old 10-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Hellraiser

childrens deaths in movies i think are one of the worst things to see. most people viewing will be effected in a frozen and shocked sort of way, where they will most likely become emotional into the movie and situations with the characters, especially if they themselves have children. its not something fun... and am kinda shocked people have said here they want to see MORE of it.

im not against having it in movies, its part of the genre, the horror, life, sadness, etc... i actually think its becoming more and more involved with the movies, as well as children being the main characters.

i have a few great movies to basically back up my statements in the first paragraph, with the shocking and emotional aspects, basically a big mind OMG or WTF... but i dont want to ruin the suspense and shock for anyone here.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Evil Dead

The more it's seen the more mundane it will become
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Banned

First time I saw a kid killed in a movie was "Assault On Precinct 13" 1976

John Carpenter film in which he kills off little Kim Richards just because she wanted ice cream
Old 10-08-2015, 02:07 AM
Evil Dead

first an think of, that iremember was 'm' with peter lorre, though its implied rather than seen. God knows what people thought of a movie with a child killer back in the 1930s. Its frowned upon now, let alone back then
Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Scares Little Kids

Talking

Don't Look Now

The Beyond

Jaws

Alice Sweet Alice

Silver Bullet

Mimic

Flesh Eater

Burnt Offerings

The Mist

The Children (2008)
Old 12-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Pumpkin Carver

Children's deaths aren't shown in movies because for many people it would be too much. Children present innocence, their laughter presents safety. Most of the time it's only added because it can make the movie more dramatic.

But showing the death of a child should be used rarely if you ask me. It can also be quite impressive if you just can imagine what happened to the kid. Our imagination can be scarier than a film could ever be.