Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I was about to make 6 posts about that...
Ferretchucker likes this.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
One thing I actually do not agree with is the do not post to many threads or posts point. I am not saying spam the forum or post irrelevant things, however a forum with slowed down activity like this one need every post it can get.

One question though about searching. As a new member I might want to discuss something which have been discussed before, what is then best, starting a new thread or finding the old thread and resurrecting it?
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@

Last edited by The Flayed One; 03-23-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Truly sorry about messing up your post. I was really tired and trying to respond, not edit. -Flayed
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Quote:
One thing I actually do not agree with is the do not post to many threads or posts point. I am not saying spam the forum or post irrelevant things, however a forum with slowed down activity like this one need every post it can get

There was a point in time when we had members who would literally start 20 threads at once about ridiculous things in the forums. It would bump other new threads off of the front page and it became very frustrating. Nothing against anyone starting five or six new threads every day. It was the constant starting of multiple threads like "What's your favorite soda?" day after day that became too much for people to bare.

Quote:
One question though about searching. As a new member I might want to discuss something which have been discussed before, what is then best, starting a new thread or finding the old thread and resurrecting it?
Up to you. That suggestion was in place to stop the constant influx of new threads covering a topic that was two days old. I personally have nothing against resurrected threads. The whole point was to make sure that there wasn't a thread four pages back on the same topic or that the topic hadn't been done 40 different times. I really don't see the problem with starting a new thread about a subject that has already been talked about multiple times as long as you call out the fact that you want to start a new one at the beginning of the thread.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
Quote:
There was a point in time when we had members who would literally start 20 threads at once about ridiculous things in the forums. It would bump other new threads off of the front page and it became very frustrating. Nothing against anyone starting five or six new threads every day. It was the constant starting of multiple threads like "What's your favorite soda?" day after day that became too much for people to bare.
Well 20 threads a day about things that have nothing to do with horror sounds rather excessive. I understand your point. However I know that when I come to a forum as a new user I am often a bit shy and afraid of doing something wrong, and if I had been greeted with that point in your advice list when I just joined up I probably would not have posted as much as I have. Now I have Aspergers syndrome so it may be that it is just me who have a problem with understanding the meaning of that paragraph, and I in no way want to criticize. However as it stands I suspect it is a danger that new members who are nice, kind and want to appear polite will be worried they are posting to much and limit posts and threads which would be useful and interesting, while trolls who just don't car can just post and post whatever they feel like and will just ignore the advice.

Quote:
Up to you. That suggestion was in place to stop the constant influx of new threads covering a topic that was two days old.
If a topic is two days old then it stands to reason that one just join the debate and do not make a new topic about it.

Quote:
I personally have nothing against resurrected threads. The whole point was to make sure that there wasn't a thread four pages back on the same topic or that the topic hadn't been done 40 different times. I really don't see the problem with starting a new thread about a subject that has already been talked about multiple times as long as you call out the fact that you want to start a new one at the beginning of the thread.
Sounds fair, thank you for the information.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Whip In My Valise

You don't have to agree with the guidelines; these are just suggestions on how to behave and an explanation to new members on how certain things are frowned upon that they might not realize were considered bad manners.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 AM

I am not disagreeing with the guidelines. I am saying that the way they are put might confuse new member so that they do not participate, that perhaps the guidelines need just a hint more explanation of what are desired or undesired behavior.

Like the Flayed One said the point about new threads where put there to stop people from making 30 threads a day about sodas and other unrelated stuff. I just pointed out that without his clarification I would have hardly dared to make a single topic when I first joined the forum if I had been met by this list. Now this might just be me as I have Aspergers not getting that paragraph, but I can only post from what I know, and for me that would discourage posting, and I do not think that is the point of it.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post
I am not disagreeing with the guidelines. I am saying that the way they are put might confuse new member so that they do not participate, that perhaps the guidelines need just a hint more explanation of what are desired or undesired behavior.

Like the Flayed One said the point about new threads where put there to stop people from making 30 threads a day about sodas and other unrelated stuff. I just pointed out that without his clarification I would have hardly dared to make a single topic when I first joined the forum if I had been met by this list. Now this might just be me as I have Aspergers not getting that paragraph, but I can only post from what I know, and for me that would discourage posting, and I do not think that is the point of it.
This site has a very colorful history involving some serious troublemakers that has understandably made older members wary of new members exhibiting behavior that resembles these old "friends". As you've probably noticed, it is very easy to make an anonymous second account, so even if someone has been banned they can easily come back over and over again to cause more trouble.

I don't think this site discourages making a lot of posts or threads; just as long as they're relevant and comprehensible (see the OMCDave posts mentioned in the first few posts in this thread to get an idea of what I mean by irrelevant and incomprehensible).

However, this is coming from HDC's Biggest Post Whore, so you might want a second opinion.:D
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

A second opinion? I second Wickers observation. I've been around since 2003 or 2004 and agree 100% with how she just put it.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 AM

The site do not at all discourage new members to post, please do not misunderstand me. I Joined this forum last month or so and I have felt very welcome. I only spoke about that one paragraph in this new guide to how to be liked at Horror.com, that it would be easy to misunderstand.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Dean of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I'd like to point another asshat style debating phenomenon. In a formal debate ad hominem comments are not welcome, and in any argument they don't deserve to discredit the opponent, they serve to make the attacker look like a flaming douche. Short debate style tutorial:
Wrong:
Imbecile 1: Children of the Corn 7 rocks the hizzie! It's like Citizen Kane with lesbians.
Imbecile 2: Cumswilling asstard! Sheepfucker! Children of the corn 7 blows!
Right:
The Smartest possible person who could have liked Children of the Corn 7:
Children of the Corn 7 was great. I don't see what all this Children of the Corn bashing is about.
Witty riposte:
Children of the Corn 7 is akin to bestiality.
While Children of the Corn 7 is akin to bestiality, we need not directly accuse those who love it of being cumswilling asstards or of having sheeploving proclivities. This goes back in a way to the productive posting comments at the beginning, but I think it's just as important to bring up productive rhetoric.
I am new here, but based on my experiences on hundreds of forums on the interwebs, I love this comment. Thank you for pointing out that rational debate does not involve name calling, tossing epithets and the race to the lowest common denominator.

While I may have despised (name a movie I think is crap) and you may have loved it, I think we can all discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of said film without getting nasty and personal.