Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Little Boo

Question Avenging Spirits

I've been watching some J Horror recently, such as Audition, Ringu, Ju On and the like, and I've been wondering why most J horror I've seen have these avenging spirits included in them. Is it all to do with Japanese culture and their stories and such?
Also, what do you think of the films mentioned above?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
Yes it has to do with Japanese culture and their stories. Japanese folklore is full of ghosts, and one of the classical ghost archetypes are the woman with her long, black unkempt hair, limp hands and often pale clothes. The reason for this appearance of Japanese ghosts is that Japanese women traditionally grew their hair long, but it was pinned up, however the hair was loosened for burial. The typical ghost you see in Japanese horror movies are called Yūrei. Now there are several categories of Yūrei, the one you usually see in movies are called a Onryō, they are vengeful ghosts who typically will exhort their vengeance on anyone who comes close as they becomes more spirits of vengeance than really just going after whoever wronged them. Most Onryō are seen as women, as traditionally women in Japan where at the mercy of men and they where more often brutalized or killed, and it is believed that they would then come back after death to avenge what wrongs where done to them. Onryō are very popular figures to use in stories, movies and so on in Japan, just like the typical Western vampire is popular here in the West.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 AM
From The Beyond

Fascinating book zombie I never knew that :)
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
I love Japanese myths and legends, they have a very rich folklore, especially when it comes to various types of Spirits.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post
I love Japanese myths and legends, they have a very rich folklore, especially when it comes to various types of Spirits.
I think you would enjoy The Great Yokai War. It's not horror, but if you're into Japanese myths and yokai, you'll really dig it. It's Miike doing, of all things, a kids' fantasy film. Check it out if you haven't seen it already.

I think you'd also really like The Maid - It's from Singapore, but centers around the Chinese "Hungry Ghost Month."

Also - Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see other Asian Cinema aficionados around here.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Thank you for the movie suggestions, both are on my wish list. And thank you for the welcome I appreciate it.

Tags
audition, juon, ringu