Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 AM
For Vendetta

And the scariest film of the decade is...

London, Sep 3 (PTI)

''The Ring'', a 2002 film starring Naomi Watts and Martin Henderson, has been named the scariest film of the decade in a new poll.

The film beat ''Paranormal Activity'' and ''The Descent'' to finish on top of the Entertainment Weekly survey with 27 per cent.

''The Strangers'', ''28 Days Later'', ''Saw'' and ''The Orphanage'' also made the list, Contactmusic reported.

Other films of note were "Let The Right One In", the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".

''The Ring'' directed by Gore Verbinski, is a remake of 1998 Japanese horror movie of same name and is based on Koji Suzuki''s novel.

The story is focuses on a mysterious cursed videotape which contains a seemingly random series of disturbing images. After watching the tape, the viewer receives a phone call in which a girl''s voice announces that the viewer will die in seven days.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/08/27/lu...film-exorcism/

So...have your say. Did you find The Ring really that scary? If not, which one would be your choice?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Whip In My Valise

The Ring was pretty scary, but my vote probably would have been for The Descent.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 AM
That fucking Guy...

Would have picked 28DL (out of that list anyway) myself...not only a superior film but in my opinion more atmospheric and scary/intense too.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Would have picked 28DL (out of that list anyway) myself...not only a superior film but in my opinion more atmospheric and scary/intense too.
I agree. especially on the atmospheric statement. Both it and 28WL did a fine job on capturing that. I think probably one of the best scenes of the decade. Was when the Mutants/zombies, were chasing the guy across the field in 28WL. I think all the best horror movies are the ones that do a great job at projecting or capturing the Atmosphere and intensity of the situation.
I liked the japanese version of the ring. It opened up the Asian horror scene for me. Which probably saved my interest in horror. As a lot of the crap that Hollywood was putting out in the naughties was just killing it.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Banned

I didn't care much for The Ring at all. I agree 28 Days/Weeks Later were much better films.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I liked the japanese version of the ring. It opened up the Asian horror scene for me. Which probably saved my interest in horror. As a lot of the crap that Hollywood was putting out in the naughties was just killing it.
Same here, I thought the original was a fair bit scarier too...and as I recall explained things a little better? Have you seen the sequels/prequel at all?
I have not as yet.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Whip In My Valise

I loved Ringu. I saw Rasen, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0 and thought they were total crap.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 AM
I Just Don't Give a Damn.

Location: in your house standing behind you with a chrome ball of death
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
I loved Ringu. I saw Rasen, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0 and thought they were total crap.
then watch Ring: Virus
Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Pirate of Bengal

According to that list The Ring fairly holds the no.1 spot I guess but I think it's not a definitive list of scariest films of the last decade. Though none can make a definitive list but IMO the Asian horror genre to some extent dominated in the means of scare factor in horror films of last decade. Films like Ju-On: The Curse or Thai horror Shutter & Alone (07) scared the hell out of me when I first saw them. Apart from them I like to mention James Wan's Dead Silence also was a good chiller though it was highly criticized for its cliche elements.
Btw, how come they missed REC.? which is far deserving at least in terms of scare factors than Descent, Strangers or DOFTD remake IMO.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM
whatever gets you through

i would have picked the descent. 28DL was great but Descent was really great at atmosphere and scares - 28DL was more 'adventure horror' to me