Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painfulldeath View Post
Last watched The Three Extremes. Dumplings and Box were decent but nothing outstanding IMO... Cut was fricking awesome! Park delivered the goods yet again in this short story. I'm sure if anyone watches it, there will be at least one of the three stories that you will enjoy.
Cut was so good, a great short story and perfectly executed. Miike was brilliantly low-key (his was the least gory, whodda thunk) with Box and the narrative was spot on. Dumplings was a fun, sick and disgusting ride which to be honest, the more I think about it the more I like the short version better than the full length film.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Quote:
Last watched The Three Extremes. Dumplings and Box were decent but nothing outstanding IMO... Cut was fricking awesome! Park delivered the goods yet again in this short story. I'm sure if anyone watches it, there will be at least one of the three stories that you will enjoy.
I LOVED Cut, and Dumplings was good, too...Box bored me, honestly...Have you watched 3 Extremes 2?...Not nearly as good as 3 Extremes, but worth a watch

We just watched One Missed Call 1, 2, and 3 back to back...They were pretty good...We have the American Remake, but haven't watched it yet...Not really in a hurry to, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I like the short version better than the full length film.
Same here!...The long version didn't really contain anything of substance, just slightly more storyline...All of the good stuff is in the short version...That's much better for impatient people like me :)

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Evil Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodrayne View Post
I LOVED Cut, and Dumplings was good, too...Box bored me, honestly...Have you watched 3 Extremes 2?...Not nearly as good as 3 Extremes, but worth a watch

We just watched One Missed Call 1, 2, and 3 back to back...They were pretty good...We have the American Remake, but haven't watched it yet...Not really in a hurry to, either

Same here!...The long version didn't really contain anything of substance, just slightly more storyline...All of the good stuff is in the short version...That's much better for impatient people like me :)
No I haven't watched the first one but I'll probably give it a shot one of these days. Maybe I'll check out the One Missed Calls too. I hated the American Version which is the only one I saw. Don't waste your time on that one.

And Despair, I don't understand the love for Box. Maybe I should check it out again. I may have missed something...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
No I haven't watched the first one but I'll probably give it a shot one of these days. Maybe I'll check out the One Missed Calls too. I hated the American Version which is the only one I saw. Don't waste your time on that one.

And Despair, I don't understand the love for Box. Maybe I should check it out again. I may have missed something...
I thought, of the three shorts, Box was my favorite. I thought that Miike really did well in slowly building up atmosphere (as he generally does) and the surrounding mystery around the twins. I would say that my only problem with it was the very end of it, but I'm willing to forgive it. Of the three, this was the one that actually creeped me out.

Cut was absolute brilliance and again Park shines.

Dumplings was good - I think that it's really the epitome of Chinese and Hong Kong horror - It was really interesting to watch, though slow at times.

As for me, I finally got around to watching Ricky-Oh: Story of Ricky. An absolutely brilliant piece of Japanese Schlock, Ricky-Oh is a pure kung fu splatter-fest. Exploding heads, fists going through bodies... What more can you ask for? A-/A

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 10-28-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 AM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodrayne View Post
The only way to watch American version and Asian version: is to not compare them at all.IMHO
Watch them on there own merit.

I saw The Grudge never knowing there was anything Asian it was copied from, never watched much Asian horror ...until I got here:)
But I have since watched almost everything recommended and also watched some of the American versions and came to the conclusion that I cannot put these movies in the same catagory.
I like some of the Amer. remakes very much but if I were to compare it to the quality of the original-I would HATE IT.
Know what I mean?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Evil Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I thought, of the three shorts, Box was my favorite. I thought that Miike really did well in slowly building up atmosphere (as he generally does) and the surrounding mystery around the twins. I would say that my only problem with it was the very end of it, but I'm willing to forgive it. Of the three, this was the one that actually creeped me out.

Cut was absolute brilliance and again Park shines.

Dumplings was good - I think that it's really the epitome of Chinese and Hong Kong horror - It was really interesting to watch, though slow at times.

As for me, I finally got around to watching Ricky-Oh: Story of Ricky. An absolutely brilliant piece of Japanese Schlock, Ricky-Oh is a pure kung fu splatter-fest. Exploding heads, fists going through bodies... What more can you ask for? A-/A
Miike's style is definitely an acquired taste. I'm still in the phase of finding his stuff on the bizarre tip. I loved Audition, and liked Ichi and Visitor Q. I still need to watch Gozu (I have it lying around somewhere).

Oh and I finished off the Vengeance Trilogy by watching Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. It was solid. The story, cinematography and acting were top-notch. I do think that it was the weakest of the three films however. You know, Mr. Vengeance stands out for its brutality, Oldboy for its action, high-end production and crazy twist. I'm not sure what really sets this one apart from the rest though...

Last edited by Painfulldeath; 10-30-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Evil Alive

Kairo. I thought it was pure cow dung. So many questions about the movie because of poor execution of the story....yet I don't care to have them answered. 4/10
Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Horroritis

One Missed Call Final. It wasn't as good as the first two but it was good enough.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Evil Alive

Grave of the Fireflies: A great Manga. It really depicts the hardships the Japanese faced during WWII. Extremely sad and profound story. 8.5/10.

Ricky-Oh: The Story of Ricky: Hilarious! The horrible dubbing and over the top gore was enough to make me laugh throughout the movie. Definitely an entertaining and different viewing experience. 8/10.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Cranky

The Great Yokai War by Miike. Cool kids movie with lots of bizarre creatures.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff