Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
The Main Man on the big screen?

Do you remember Lobo, the extremely violent character and comic book from DC Comics? He was extremely popular for a few years in the early 1990s with comics that were over-the-top in violence, to the point of just being redundant. Anyway, Warner Bros. may finally be moving forward with a long-in-gestation film adaptation.

Lobo is an intergalactic bounty hunter who basically always gets his man or woman, and does so in violent fashion. In some ways he’s DC Comics’ version of Wolverine, and the two fought each other in 1996’s DC vs. Marvel comic book mini-series.

I was a fan of Lobo in the early nineties, with the mini-series and one-shots like ‘The Last Czarnian‘ and ‘Lobo: Paramilitary Christmas Special.’ The writing by co-creator Keith Giffen and Alan Grant was hilarious and dark, while Simon Bisley’s art was fantastic - Until he got too sloppy, in my opinion, and appeared to fade away in the not-so-great ‘Lobo’s Back’ mini-series. Plus, as violent as the comic got, we never saw any bad language which was a trip. “Bastich” and “frag” were Lobo’s curse words.

Did I mention that the comics were violent and way over-the-top? Like when the Easter Bunny hires Lobo, who goes to the North Pole and slaughters all the elves and Santa Claus (depicted here as a man with bizarre fetishes) in the ‘Paramilitary Christmas Special.’

Latino Review did a video script review for the Lobo movie, and the story sounds all right but I wonder how violent they’ll keep the movie. Obviously an unrated or NC-17 version is impossible, but a dark comic book adaptation seems to be what DC Comics and Warner Bros. want following The Dark Knight’s success.

Do I think Lobo would be a great film? Well, Lobo and the Punisher share many traits: both are violent, both were popular in the early- to mid-1990s, but Punisher’s three movies weren’t all that great and one has to wonder if Lobo will follow suit… So what do you think? Should DC and WB proceed with a Lobo movie?

http://screenrant.com/dc-comics-lobo...en-heath-7314/
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
If they don't take it seriously, it could be great.